Cheesecake Factory 30.06

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Cheesecake Factory 30.06

Post by RPBrown »

I had bought my wife and grand daughter tickets to a musical at Bass Hall and agreed to drive them to and from. Well the grand daughter wanted to go to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch before the show.
Looked them up on Texas 30.06 and sure enough they are .06 & .07 posted. As much as I didn't want to disarm, I didn't want to disappoint the young lady more so I left it in it's safe in the car.
As we entered I looked around and saw no signs. We had our meal and as we started to leave, I looked up at the cheesecake menu hanging about 10' up. As I moved more to the exit, there they were. Almost same color as the wood they are hanging on at about 10' up.
What part of clearly visible do people not understand. Next time, if there is one, I am going to walk in, stand there in the door looking all around and when someone asks what I am doing, I will say making sure I am legal to be here :shock:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Cheesecake Factory 30.06

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I admire your devotion to duty, but I don't have it to the same degree. If the 30.06 sign is not compliant, and in plain view, where I can't easily see it, then I haven't received effective notice until I see it. If the sign isn't located either at the entrance, or prominently displayed just inside where a conscientious license holder would be looking for it, then it is on the business owner if people carry inside. In addition to the other signage compliance requirements (block letters 1" high against a contrasting background, and specific language), the law requires that the sign "is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public."

10 ft off the ground and in the same color as the background wood is NOT "displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public."

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.30.htm
Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN.
  • (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
    • (1) carries a concealed handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
      (2) received notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden.
    (b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
    (c) In this section:
    • (1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
      (2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).
      (3) "Written communication" means:
      • (A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or
        (B) a sign posted on the property that:
        • (i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
          (ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
          (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

RPBrown wrote:I had bought my wife and grand daughter tickets to a musical at Bass Hall and agreed to drive them to and from. Well the grand daughter wanted to go to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch before the show.
Looked them up on Texas 30.06 and sure enough they are .06 & .07 posted. As much as I didn't want to disarm, I didn't want to disappoint the young lady more so I left it in it's safe in the car.
As we entered I looked around and saw no signs. We had our meal and as we started to leave, I looked up at the cheesecake menu hanging about 10' up. As I moved more to the exit, there they were. Almost same color as the wood they are hanging on at about 10' up.
What part of clearly visible do people not understand. Next time, if there is one, I am going to walk in, stand there in the door looking all around and when someone asks what I am doing, I will say making sure I am legal to be here :shock:
Where is this cheesecake factory located?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

Did Bass Hall still have a 51% sign up?

NNT

Post by NNT »

Bruin98 wrote:Did Bass Hall still have a 51% sign up?
Last fall I went to a play at Bass Hall. I had read about the 51% signs, etc, so I disarmed. When I got there I didn't see anything, and asked the guy checking inside bags about it. He said CC is OK, but he would have had the APD check my license prior to going in. Not saying that is their policy, just what I was told by the guy at the door. Since they don't do a pat down, and there was not a metal detector, would I have needed to tell him I was carrying? Probably would have to avoid an incident and make sure I did not miss a sign somewhere.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

NNT wrote:
Last fall I went to a play at Bass Hall. I had read about the 51% signs, etc, so I disarmed. When I got there I didn't see anything, and asked the guy checking inside bags about it. He said CC is OK, but he would have had the APD check my license prior to going in. Not saying that is their policy, just what I was told by the guy at the door. Since they don't do a pat down, and there was not a metal detector, would I have needed to tell him I was carrying? Probably would have to avoid an incident and make sure I did not miss a sign somewhere.
Bass Hall is definately a 51% location.
License #: MB492323

Trade Name: ARTS AMENITIES INC.
Owner: ARTS AMENITIES INC.
Location Address:
330 E 4TH STREET
FORT WORTH , TX 761024021
Mailing Address:
330 E 4TH ST
FORT WORTH , TX 76102
County: Tarrant Orig. Issue Date: 5/3/2001
Wine Percent:
Location Phone No.: 817-212-4300
Subordinates: CB,LB,PE
Related To: Gun Sign: RED
They should have a sign posted.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I admire your devotion to duty, but I don't have it to the same degree. If the 30.06 sign is not compliant, and in plain view, where I can't easily see it, then I haven't received effective notice until I see it. If the sign isn't located either at the entrance, or prominently displayed just inside where a conscientious license holder would be looking for it, then it is on the business owner if people carry inside. In addition to the other signage compliance requirements (block letters 1" high against a contrasting background, and specific language), the law requires that the sign "is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public."

10 ft off the ground and in the same color as the background wood is NOT "displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public."

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.30.htm
Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN.
  • (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
    • (1) carries a concealed handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
      (2) received notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden.
    (b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
    (c) In this section:
    • (1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
      (2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).
      (3) "Written communication" means:
      • (A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or
        (B) a sign posted on the property that:
        • (i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
          (ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
          (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
TAM, I do agree with you and had I not already checked Texas 30.06 and saw it was posted, I would have carried away. As it was, I wasn't going to make the trek back to the car. These old knees wouldn't take it.
crazy2medic wrote:
RPBrown wrote:I had bought my wife and grand daughter tickets to a musical at Bass Hall and agreed to drive them to and from. Well the grand daughter wanted to go to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch before the show.
Where is this cheesecake factory located?
Its in Sundance Square (4th and Commerce) right across from Bass Hall

I couldn't say. I didn't go, just took my wife and Grand daughter. Musicals are not really my thing although there are a few I would go to.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Keith B wrote:
NNT wrote:
Bass Hall is definately a 51% location.
License #: MB492323

Trade Name: ARTS AMENITIES INC.
Owner: ARTS AMENITIES INC.
Location Address:
330 E 4TH STREET
FORT WORTH , TX 761024021
Mailing Address:
330 E 4TH ST
FORT WORTH , TX 76102
County: Tarrant Orig. Issue Date: 5/3/2001
Wine Percent:
Location Phone No.: 817-212-4300
Subordinates: CB,LB,PE
Related To: Gun Sign: RED
They should have a sign posted.
Realize this isn't the proper place for this discussion, but as someone who used to work at Bass Hall as a bartender (met my wife there actually, both bartenders) this has always troubled me. No way do they make even close to 51% of revenue off alcohol. This is another case of separate organizations under one roof, the hall itself with the ticket sales and promotions, and Arts Amenities that provides the bar/valet services. By separating them they're able to claim 51%.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

cowhow

Post by cowhow »

How many of these signs are posted just to satisfy corporate bean counters and lawyers?

z_clark

Post by z_clark »

At Bass Hall, they now have the red 50% sign and are using wands.

I should have done my research before we came down tonight, as I am killing time in a nearby coffee shop while my wife watches the show by herself.

They have police at all entrances, I spoke to the one and he said it was a no go. No where to store it either as we took the new train from Grapevine.

Again, my fault for not checking. I don't want it to ruin anyone elses date night in the future.

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

Could be loophole. Just set up a separate entity and have that entity hold the liquor license. I hope others don't figure this one out.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Caliber wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:17 pm Could be loophole. Just set up a separate entity and have that entity hold the liquor license. I hope others don't figure this one out.
This is why I've asked a few state reps to offer legislation to remove the 51% restriction. It is already illegal to carry while intoxicated. If I'm going to one of these places with friends as a designated driver, why can I not also be the designated defender?
Last edited by Flightmare on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I wouldn't bring any attention to it.... If you do then they may actually post one that is compliant.

Went into an Applebee's in Frisco last Friday... They had a 30.07 up by the front doors... Was NOT compliant and I even pulled up my Texas3006 app and found that others had posted about it as well.

Granted, I don't open carry, but I sure as heck wasn't going to say anything. I've already walked past at least one illegal 30.06 sign....

jordanmills
Banned

Post by jordanmills »

Flightmare wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:23 pm
Caliber wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:17 pm Could be loophole. Just set up a separate entity and have that entity hold the liquor license. I hope others don't figure this one out.
This is why I've asked a few state reps to offer legislation to remove the 51% restriction. It is already illegal to carry while intoxicated. If I'm going to one of these places with friends as a designated driver, why can I not also be the designated defender?
Exactly. It's a disincentive for having designated drivers.

Kolamer

Post by Kolamer »

I have been there several times. The first couple of times I didnt even know those signs where there and carried. Last month my wife and I were downtown with our son looking at the lights and decided to eat dinner there. On the way out my wife asked me if those were no carry signs. Sure enough they were. They are not in an easy place to see so to me those are not legally compliant signs. I will carry there again until they put them where they are supposed to be.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”