New CHL - Apply now or wait?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Chimera
Posts in topic: 3

New CHL - Apply now or wait?

Post by Chimera »

I finished my CHL class this past weekend. I have a few questions. I was told that if I wait until Sept 1st to apply the CHL will only be good for 2 years vs the current 4 years. If I apply now, I will beat the rush of everyone on Sept 1st, however it will be $40 more for essentially a (presumably) faster issuance and imo $40 over 4 years is not a huge deal. Is there any other pros and cons to waiting vs applying now?

bblhd672

Re: New CHL - Apply now or wait?

Post by bblhd672 »

New laws for Handgun Licensing Program
https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/Legal ... lation.htm
This bill reduces the standard original license to carry an application fee from $140 to $40.
The cost difference on 9/1 is $100, not $40.

Your statement about new licenses being good for only 2 years vs 4 years is the first time I've heard anything like that.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/faqs/index.htm
13. How long is the Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) valid?
Initial licenses are valid for four years. Renewal licenses are valid for five years
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Someone didn't know what they were talking about.

Right now, if you don't qualify for one of the reduced rates, an initial license costs $140 and is good for a maximum of 5 years. After Sep 1, the price goes down to $40, but nothing else changes.

Depending on when your birthday falls, you might only get 4 years and change from the initial. After that, you'll get 5 years for each renewal.

EXAMPLE: My initial license was issued about a month before my birthday in 2010. It expired on my birthday in 2014, so it was good for four years and about a month. I renewed 6 months before it expired and my current license does not expire until 2019.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Chimera

Post by Chimera »

Ah, so either I misunderstood or was misinformed.

Thanks for the help. I'll just wait.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Pawpaw wrote:Someone didn't know what they were talking about.

Right now, if you don't qualify for one of the reduced rates, an initial license costs $140 and is good for a maximum of 5 years. After Sep 1, the price goes down to $40, but nothing else changes.

Depending on when your birthday falls, you might only get 4 years and change from the initial. After that, you'll get 5 years for each renewal.

EXAMPLE: My initial license was issued about a month before my birthday in 2010. It expired on my birthday in 2014, so it was good for four years and about a month. I renewed 6 months before it expired and my current license does not expire until 2019.
This is my understanding as well.
If the extra month is worth $100 to you... Apply now. If you don't mind waiting.... Save $100 after Sept. 1.

I would assume that quite a few applicants will wait and you could see a small surge in applications in early Sept., causing processing times to go up a bit. DPS has done an awesome job keeping up with applications and keeping wait times down, but if enough people decide to wait, you might see a small extension on processing time.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Save $100 by waiting another 20 something days... Sure, I would do that.

$100 is a good holster or a case (Ok, maybe a half case) of pistol ammo.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

bblhd672 wrote:New laws for Handgun Licensing Program

Initial licenses are valid for four years. Renewal licenses are valid for five years
That is what the law states, 4 years for the initial license and 5 years for the renewed license.
I guess the statement about 2 years is a hoax!

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
Chimera

Post by Chimera »

Yeah, $100 is not at all worth it.

Glad I posted, thanks guys!

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

bmwrdr wrote:

That is what the law states, 4 years for the initial license and 5 years for the renewed license.

Is this new then, my initial is good for five years?

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

JakeTheSnake wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:

Despite what the DPS site says, my initial LTC, issued in 2016, expires in 2021. Using non-Common Core math that calculates as 5 years. :headscratch
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

JakeTheSnake wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:

Not so new, I got mi initial LTC issued for 4 years and a few month because I turned my application in before my DOB and it was issued before that. Every renewal I had was 5 years since.

I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

The initial four years is a little confusing. The initial license is 4 to almost 5 year depending on when your birthday is and when they issue it. It expires on your 4th birthday after issued. If they happened to issue it the day after your birthday then you would have almost 5 years. If they issued it on the day before your birthday then it would be good for 4 years and 1 day. That catches your renewal up so it will expire on your birthday.

After that it is every 5 years expiring on your birthday.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I'm over 60 what will this do to or for me at renewal :???:
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

LTC's expire on the applicants 5th birthday after issue, that is for new and renew. The renew is suppose to pickup where the old left off, the renew good for 5 FULL years. The new license is good for 5 birthdates, which due to timing of issue is good for an average of 4 1/2 years. Anyone need more mud in that water? :tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

tommyg wrote:I'm over 60 what will this do to or for me at renewal :???:
Senior citizen renewal is $35

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”