Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

JustSomeOldGuy
Senior Member
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:49 am

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby JustSomeOldGuy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:41 pm

They do have a metal plate on each side of the entry door that is engraved "Proper attire required". So I imagine that your belt, holster, and boots/shoes must coordinate, and that Uncle Mike's style holsters are not allowed. :lol:

The most recent google maps street view is dated August 2016 and shows no signage at the entrance.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

User avatar

TVGuy
Senior Member
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:47 am
Location: DFW

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby TVGuy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:53 pm

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:They do have a metal plate on each side of the entry door that is engraved "Proper attire required". So I imagine that your belt, holster, and boots/shoes must coordinate, and that Uncle Mike's style holsters are not allowed. :lol:

The most recent google maps street view is dated August 2016 and shows no signage at the entrance.


Much like "murses", Uncle Mike's shouldn't be allowed anywhere.


Topic author
chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby chasfm11 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:17 pm

TVGuy wrote:I think you would find that high end restaurants have clientele that are more likely to carry than your average citizen of Texas, especially of people in urban areas. For example, Highland Park which is arguably the most elite of DFW neighborhoods, would be the amongst the most conservative in the area. The elitism you describe is primarily "coastal elitism", or that of wealthy transplants from the northeast or west coasts. Undoubtedly, an upscale kale restaurant would be banned, but not a steak restaurant. I eat at very expensive restaurants on a normal basis for work and I would say that they seem to be posted much less often than average. It's usually the chains, regardless of price, that are posted.


I beg to differ. Some businesses and pretty much all of the Texas medical establishment are Elitist. Baylor, Harris Methodist are almost universally posted, even some of the small store front clinic type locations. If they didn't allow doctors to carry either, I won't be quite as harsh. But they are just like the politicians - good for me and not for thee. We've seen some roaring examples of Elitist behavior among the UT professors and i personally observed at UT Arlington. It seems reasonable then, that high end restaurants, who often cater to that same type of clientele, could do the same thing. Those with personal relationships with the restaurant management get the wink wink on concealed carry while the rest of us get to read the sign. And I would be remiss if I didn't leave out the Ft. Worth and Dallas Zoos. There is hardly another plausible explanation for the lengths that they have gone to besides Elitism.

I don't at all discount the fact that the big ugly sign is a deterrent to posting a location. A place like Three Forks doesn't want to detract from their entrance with a pair of them for 06, 07. But I would bet that you don't get 10 steps inside the door OC and may get told "we don't allow guns" in the process. I'm not saying that they don't have the right to do exactly that. I'm just suggesting that the mentality to restrict citizen carry is not limited to the blue coasts. As I said in an earlier post, many of the restaurants in our area our 30.07 posted and almost none are 30.06 posted. We have a few high end places but most are average joe kind of eateries. They aren't anxious to scare grandma because of a 1911 visible on someone's hip at the next table but they don't seem anxious to drive of law abiding 2nd amendment advocates either.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts: 5372
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby Liberty » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:39 pm

I never gave it much thought before, but I guess there are different kinds of elitist, and they aren't spread around evenly across the country or even Texas.
I'm not saying they don't exist but I've eaten all over this part of the country (Houston Galveston) and to a lesser extent all around the Hill Country. Lots of the finest eateries the areas have to offer as well as a few of the most run down barbeque joints one could imagine. I haveseen a few 30.06 and 30.07 at different businesses, but I've never seen a 30.0x sign at a restaurant. I think its safe to say in most areas they are so rare to be nonexistant. .. I'm not saying the signs don't exist, but that they are so rare to be practically non-existant. Maybe Dallas is different ....
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

TVGuy
Senior Member
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:47 am
Location: DFW

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby TVGuy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:00 am

chasfm11 wrote:
TVGuy wrote:I think you would find that high end restaurants have clientele that are more likely to carry than your average citizen of Texas, especially of people in urban areas. For example, Highland Park which is arguably the most elite of DFW neighborhoods, would be the amongst the most conservative in the area. The elitism you describe is primarily "coastal elitism", or that of wealthy transplants from the northeast or west coasts. Undoubtedly, an upscale kale restaurant would be banned, but not a steak restaurant. I eat at very expensive restaurants on a normal basis for work and I would say that they seem to be posted much less often than average. It's usually the chains, regardless of price, that are posted.


I beg to differ. Some businesses and pretty much all of the Texas medical establishment are Elitist. Baylor, Harris Methodist are almost universally posted, even some of the small store front clinic type locations. If they didn't allow doctors to carry either, I won't be quite as harsh. But they are just like the politicians - good for me and not for thee. We've seen some roaring examples of Elitist behavior among the UT professors and i personally observed at UT Arlington. It seems reasonable then, that high end restaurants, who often cater to that same type of clientele, could do the same thing. Those with personal relationships with the restaurant management get the wink wink on concealed carry while the rest of us get to read the sign. And I would be remiss if I didn't leave out the Ft. Worth and Dallas Zoos. There is hardly another plausible explanation for the lengths that they have gone to besides Elitism.

I don't at all discount the fact that the big ugly sign is a deterrent to posting a location. A place like Three Forks doesn't want to detract from their entrance with a pair of them for 06, 07. But I would bet that you don't get 10 steps inside the door OC and may get told "we don't allow guns" in the process. I'm not saying that they don't have the right to do exactly that. I'm just suggesting that the mentality to restrict citizen carry is not limited to the blue coasts. As I said in an earlier post, many of the restaurants in our area our 30.07 posted and almost none are 30.06 posted. We have a few high end places but most are average joe kind of eateries. They aren't anxious to scare grandma because of a 1911 visible on someone's hip at the next table but they don't seem anxious to drive of law abiding 2nd amendment advocates either.


Most medical facilities are posted. Most colleges that are private have opted-out. The zoos in DFW are anti-gun. What in the world does that have to do with a restaurant? I'm not planning on an expensive meal at any of these. This is the equivalent of saying thugs shoot people, so anyone that carries a gun must be bad. It is projection and nonsense. If you could rationally explain to me how a zoo is "elitist" I'll be blown away. They sure don't smell elitist. Last time I went it wasn't that expensive and all walks of life were there. Anti-2A, sure..."elitist", no.

Go around and pick out some high-end restaurants (not chains) that are posting and report back. I'm yet to see many at all and I can't think of one off the top of my head. I've OC'd in some and have never heard a word.

I stand by my original statement until you can show me otherwise. Just because something is upscale, pricey, or expensive doesn't mean that the people that own or run it have an elitist attitude and are anti-2A.

Are people with wealth not allowed to be pro-2A gun owners? Most of the ones I know are very 2A friendly, even the Democrats frankly. Not too long ago I was on a friend's private plane. He has more money than I could imagine having without winning Powerball. He had a handgun on his hip and one in his carry on. Even asked me if I was carrying - in a positive way. He's very pro-2A. Should I have looked for a 30.06/07 sign on his home and plane?

User avatar

TVGuy
Senior Member
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:47 am
Location: DFW

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby TVGuy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:04 am

Liberty wrote:I never gave it much thought before, but I guess there are different kinds of elitist, and they aren't spread around evenly across the country or even Texas.
I'm not saying they don't exist but I've eaten all over this part of the country (Houston Galveston) and to a lesser extent all around the Hill Country. Lots of the finest eateries the areas have to offer as well as a few of the most run down barbeque joints one could imagine. I haveseen a few 30.06 and 30.07 at different businesses, but I've never seen a 30.0x sign at a restaurant. I think its safe to say in most areas they are so rare to be nonexistant. .. I'm not saying the signs don't exist, but that they are so rare to be practically non-existant. Maybe Dallas is different ....


No, Dallas is not different. DFW is not different. The vast majority restaurants with 30.06 signs I've seen are chains that are largely owned by companies located outside the state.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22789
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Contact:

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby The Annoyed Man » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:40 am

Liberty wrote:I eat out a lot, around the Houston - Galveston and in the Hill Country area. At lots of fine dining places, and greasy spoons also. I've never seen a 30.0x sighn at an eating establishment. Is it common to see anti-gun restaurants in the Dallas area, or is there something special about Three Forks that one would find it gun unfriendly?

I can't speak for all of DFW, but up here in our corner of the metroplex - NE Tarrant County - it is pretty rare to see a higher level eating establishment posted. Rare enough that I can't recall one myself.....although I have seen other places, like my local coffee shop, or a local sandwich shop posted with 30.07 signs. I have my own social theory for why that is, but I won't go into it here.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre


Deitz83
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:05 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby Deitz83 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:40 am

I eat at The capitol Grill, Bobs' Chop House, Cool River and Ruth Chris often. The only place that I can think that maybe 30.06 and 30.07 would be the cigar bar at Javier's they only sell liquor in this area. I have never seen a sign posted at any high end restaurants. I plan on going to Three Forks next month. I will see if they have signs posted.


Topic author
chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby chasfm11 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:31 pm

TVGuy wrote:Most medical facilities are posted. Most colleges that are private have opted-out. The zoos in DFW are anti-gun. What in the world does that have to do with a restaurant? I'm not planning on an expensive meal at any of these. This is the equivalent of saying thugs shoot people, so anyone that carries a gun must be bad. It is projection and nonsense. If you could rationally explain to me how a zoo is "elitist" I'll be blown away. They sure don't smell elitist. Last time I went it wasn't that expensive and all walks of life were there. Anti-2A, sure..."elitist", no.

Go around and pick out some high-end restaurants (not chains) that are posting and report back. I'm yet to see many at all and I can't think of one off the top of my head. I've OC'd in some and have never heard a word.

I stand by my original statement until you can show me otherwise. Just because something is upscale, pricey, or expensive doesn't mean that the people that own or run it have an elitist attitude and are anti-2A.

Are people with wealth not allowed to be pro-2A gun owners? Most of the ones I know are very 2A friendly, even the Democrats frankly. Not too long ago I was on a friend's private plane. He has more money than I could imagine having without winning Powerball. He had a handgun on his hip and one in his carry on. Even asked me if I was carrying - in a positive way. He's very pro-2A. Should I have looked for a 30.06/07 sign on his home and plane?

believe that he was going with a group and riding with someone else. The next fact is that he called over to Three Forks to asked about their gun policy. He had checked Texas3006 and there was no entry. The person who answered the phone freaked out over being asked about a gun policy. He was going to call the Three Forks management when I requested that he not do that and asked for time to see if there was a different way to find the information. I posted here, asking if anyone had been there recently.

I do not accept, as the fellow calling Three Forks did not accept the certainty that Three Forks is NOT posted, based on the fact that they are a high end restaurant, especially with the initial phone response. If I were personally driving there and had my own car, I'd never give the matter a second though. If they had an 06 sign, I'd disarm or I won't go in. But I don't blame him for not wanting to put himself into an awkward situation. As we have discussed here on past threads, I also don't advocate asking gun policy questions over the phone. It wasn't practical for him to run over in advance to double check.

I probably crossed a line that I shouldn't have when I injected my own opinion that there is an Elitist mentality which can drive signs. I have no way of knowing what Three Forks or any other restaurant is thinking when they do or do not put up signs, just like I have no way of knowing whether the management is pro or anti 2nd Amendment. This thread was supposed to be about whether or not they had a sign and nothing more. I reported back to the original guy about the June report of no signs. I believe that he is going there tonight. I'm glad that I stopped him from querying management before he did. We can save the discussion about what drives businesses to put up signs for a different day.

My mission was accomplished. I'm satisfied. It the situation turns out different that I represented and the guy gets put in a compromised situation because of it, that was the risk that I took.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero

User avatar

TVGuy
Senior Member
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:47 am
Location: DFW

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby TVGuy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:39 pm

chasfm11 wrote: The person who answered the phone freaked out over being asked about a gun policy.

I do not accept, as the fellow calling Three Forks did not accept the certainty that Three Forks is NOT posted, based on the fact that they are a high end restaurant, especially with the initial phone response.


The vast majority of the time the person answering the phone is a hostess. Almost every hostess at a restaurant is 16-17 years old since you have to be 18 to serve alcohol. I'd imagine most 17 year old girls in urban areas would act strange if you asked about carrying a gun in their place of business.


Topic author
chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby chasfm11 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:23 pm

TVGuy wrote:
chasfm11 wrote: The person who answered the phone freaked out over being asked about a gun policy.

I do not accept, as the fellow calling Three Forks did not accept the certainty that Three Forks is NOT posted, based on the fact that they are a high end restaurant, especially with the initial phone response.


The vast majority of the time the person answering the phone is a hostess. Almost every hostess at a restaurant is 16-17 years old since you have to be 18 to serve alcohol. I'd imagine most 17 year old girls in urban areas would act strange if you asked about carrying a gun in their place of business.

So the solution is for the fellow who was asking to simply show up at Three Forks carrying and hope for the best? Why would a high end place like Three Forks employ the same level of hostess as Chili's? As I said earlier, I don't spend much time in high end restaurants but the few that I have been in have had male hosts who were clearly over 21. I don't agree with calling any place to ask about gun policy but hopefully the staff is trained well enough to professionally pass along questions that they don't feel comfortable with to their management. I would expect that of any place that deals with the public.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero

User avatar

TVGuy
Senior Member
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:47 am
Location: DFW

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby TVGuy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:53 am

To answer the first question, concealed is concealed. Luckily if a mistake is made these days it's only a $200 fine.


Topic author
chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby chasfm11 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:27 am

Rule #4 on this forum deals with the promotion of illegal activity. I try to live by its opposite - the promotion of legal activity.. I'm fine with "don't ask, don't tell" in places with non-compliant signs. I realize that I'm under no obligation to verify the existence of signs prohibiting or limiting carry but I usually do try. Others share that viewpoint.

But the real issue here was not that. The fellow on the other forum was going to continue his inquiry. My chances of dissuading him from that inquiry were far less than my chance of getting him to accept a definitive answer if I could produce one. How real the possibility of a new sign being posted as a result of him pressing the issue with Three Forks management I cannot determine. But, again, I felt the obligation to try to prevent that possibility. I stand by trying to do that just as I stand by trying to put myself, and others that I can help, in the position of staying within the law, whether I agree with that law or not. Others are free to make their own choices.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 3985
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby RPBrown » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:03 am

Okay, gonna force me to go check it out. Let me see if I can get reservations for tonite :cheers2:
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Senior Member
Posts: 1655
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: Three Forks in Dallas - posted?

Postby Bitter Clinger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:57 am

RPBrown wrote:Okay, gonna force me to go check it out. Let me see if I can get reservations for tonite :cheers2:


We picked up a prime cut at Central Market, have a nice bottle of Cabernet, and don't give a tinker's darn about Three Forks or any other over-priced, overly salted steak served in a noisy, crowded dining experience. :waiting:
"You may all go to Chicago, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח


Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KC5AV, MechAg94 and 6 guests