CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RicoTX
Posts in topic: 1

Pedernales Electric Cooperative Believes You Are a Security Issue

Post by RicoTX »

I have PEC at home, which I pay online.
However I also pay multiple business accounts, which I usually do at their office in Marble Falls.
They are posted 30.06 and 30.07, so after a year I finally got around to emailing them.
I have included their email response below.
Anyone else a PEC member that would be willing to join me in writing all the directors asking them why they believe we are a threat?
Thank you for contacting us. Pedernales Electric Cooperative has a Weapons-Free Workplace Policy approved by our Chief Executive Officer in February 2013 that specifically indicates that all PEC property is subject to Section 30.06 of the Penal Code. All offices were posted with the 30.06 signage in the interest of increasing the physical safety and security of employees and members, especially at locations where cash was being handled. Because our focus remains on the physical safety and security of those who work at and enter our PEC offices, additional signage was posted to address the 30.07 open carry law that went into effect in January 2016.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

WTR
Banned

Re: Pedernales Electric Cooperative Believes You Are a Security Issue

Post by WTR »

My local electric Co. also is posted ( all properties). It is actually one of the few corporations which are legally posted.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

I am a PEC member and have expressed my frustration verbally to their employees at the main office in Johnson City and at the Junction office.

The issue is the Cooperative management.

Yes I will join you but I doubt it will do any good.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

Nueces Electric Coop went nuts after open carry and posted all their facilities with 3006 and 3007 for "safety". I wrote a letter but received no response. My only other choice is V247 but I haven't made the jump just yet. If and when I do I will most likely let NEC know why.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

RicoTX wrote:I have PEC at home, which I pay online.
However I also pay multiple business accounts, which I usually do at their office in Marble Falls.
They are posted 30.06 and 30.07, so after a year I finally got around to emailing them.
I have included their email response below.
Anyone else a PEC member that would be willing to join me in writing all the directors asking them why they believe we are a threat?
Thank you for contacting us. Pedernales Electric Cooperative has a Weapons-Free Workplace Policy approved by our Chief Executive Officer in February 2013 that specifically indicates that all PEC property is subject to Section 30.06 of the Penal Code. All offices were posted with the 30.06 signage in the interest of increasing the physical safety and security of employees and members, especially at locations where cash was being handled. Because our focus remains on the physical safety and security of those who work at and enter our PEC offices, additional signage was posted to address the 30.07 open carry law that went into effect in January 2016.
How absurd! You should remind them that the board members, employees and anyone else associated with PEC and not LTC is statistically a bigger threat to society than any one LTC in Texas. Less likely than even a police officer to commit any crime.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

A former member of this forum, VMI77, emailed me this today after reading this thread.
Caught the thread on coops posting 3006/3007.

I work for a transmission coop. Before open carry our policy explicitly allowed employees with CHL's to carry at work and in company vehicles. We got a management change and right after open carry passed the board voted to prohibit both open and concealed carry.....our entire facility is posted and we can't have a weapon in a company vehicle. I know at least some coop managers carry, and our previous General Manager carried a snubbie. I used to carry all the time at work....large guns too....G21, G17, 1911, and CZ Phantom.

As a result I stopped using company vehicles. I have not been able to determine the logic of this, since virtually the same board that prohibited carry had voted to allow it, and it had been policy for four or five years....yet I'm told only one board member voted against posting 3006/3007. Employees were very unhappy about the change....a sizable number if not a majority are licensed to carry. Previous management even sponsored a class for employees to get their license. Some of the women who travel alone on long trips were also upset.

It's an even greater mystery to me since I don't see any anti-gun sentiment within the company. Something like 95% of our employees must own guns. Guns and shooting are openly talked about. I have large photos of guns on my office walls, and my CHL qualification target on my office door. Additionally, we've had safety meetings where we've been told that we can pretty much have whatever guns we want locked in our private vehicles.....no effort is being made to usurp the parking lot law.

I don't know who pushed this....fortunately we are in a gated facility with armed security so I don't have to be worried about my gun being stolen from my car but there is no logic whatsoever that can explain the change in policy, since carry had been allowed for years with no problems. One aspect that applies to crews working in the field is that some line easements prohibit weapons....so there are circumstances where someone armed on a crew would be violating an easement...however, this obviously does not apply to the general public.

Weird to me, as most coops employ a majority of "country" people who own and use guns. Coops are somewhat sensitive to member criticism though, more than the investor owned companies, so if you get enough people complaining it might have an effect.
Might be worth a shot to play a squeaky wheel.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”