Road Trip

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rocinante
Posts in topic: 1

Road Trip

Post by rocinante »

I plan to take a road trip to Kansas City, MO, with excursions further north into MO for the upcoming eclipse. This would involve crossing OK, and possibly into KS. I understand my Texas LTC is good in all three states. Are there any rule surprises or other gotchas along the way? I do not expect to carry openly.

Thanks!

Vol Texan

Re: Road Trip

Post by Vol Texan »

This is your new best friend:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Focus on things in each state such as:
  • Duty to inform
  • Where carry is prohibited by statute
  • Do 'no guns' signs have force of law?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Dreamer42

Post by Dreamer42 »

Oklahoma has the opposite laws Texas does regarding government buildings. You cannot carry. It has been a while since I have read their laws. But that is the most glaring I have noticed.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Dreamer42 wrote:Oklahoma has the opposite laws Texas does regarding government buildings. You cannot carry. It has been a while since I have read their laws. But that is the most glaring I have noticed.
The same with Kansas.

Be mindful of schools. While the GFSZA is usually an add-on after something else has happened and the constitutionality of the law in general has been questioned or possibly nullified, it is still in place and your Texas CHL/LTC will not protect you in another state. It's just something to keep in mind.

I've OCed in both states without any issues. Mostly just driving through OK. My final destination is usually the Topeka/Lawrence area where I've also OCed into several locations also without issues.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

There is no duty to inform in Missouri.

A few years ago we were road tripping and went through MO. I had a note card that summed up all the states laws.

I got pulled over around midnight (tail light out) and could not find the card, so I decided to err on the side of caution and inform.

Based on what happened next--MO cops are easily startled and while I didn't get a ticket, about 4 other squad cars showed up for a tail light out stop.

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

Watch for the Indian reservations. Laws change there as you are considered in their nation not the USA.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

I comuted from 2009-11 between Dallas and KC, worked in KCMO and lived in Mission and Olathe, KS.
In OK you may watch your speed, I was pulled over there on a regular base for 5-10 mph over the legal limits. Carrying was never an issue or questioned.
In KS you may watch your speed as well especially if you consider taking SH169 or SH69. Carrying wasn't an issue there either. I asked a LEO in the parking lot of the Hotel in Mission about carry laws in KS and he said if you have a TX CHL you are good and he also said thanks for being a law abiding citizen.
In MO, I had no issues at all, if I used SH 71 I was not even pulled over for going a tad over the legal limit.
have many friends in the KS area and neither one ever mentioned an issue about carrying a handgun.
The only area I'd be careful is KC , MO in the downtown area and east. It seems this is an area of high crime and some of my co-workers advised me to be cautios in that area and avoid it.

Not citating any local laws as they were already listed above, just my personal experience.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

bmwrdr wrote:I comuted from 2009-11 between Dallas and KC, worked in KCMO and lived in Mission and Olathe, KS.
My parents are still up in KS outside of Lawrence and I visit a couple times a year. When I'm up there in the summer I sometimes like to go around and show my daughter old houses and some of my old haunts. We lived in Olathe from '74-79. It sure has changed a bunch. Before there we lived in Roeland Park and my old elementary school there is gone. All the houses we lived in are still there when I checked last year.

I haven't been stopped while driving through OK or KS, but then I set my cruise control on or no more than 1 mph over the limit and enjoy the trip and view.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

C-dub wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:I comuted from 2009-11 between Dallas and KC, worked in KCMO and lived in Mission and Olathe, KS.
My parents are still up in KS outside of Lawrence and I visit a couple times a year. When I'm up there in the summer I sometimes like to go around and show my daughter old houses and some of my old haunts. We lived in Olathe from '74-79. It sure has changed a bunch. Before there we lived in Roeland Park and my old elementary school there is gone. All the houses we lived in are still there when I checked last year.

I haven't been stopped while driving through OK or KS, but then I set my cruise control on or no more than 1 mph over the limit and enjoy the trip and view.
Well, I commuted on my motorcycle with "wrist-cruise-control" which wasn't really accurate all the time :-) But I have to say most of the tickets I got, about once a month were warning tickets. Other then that I have to say all LEO's were polite and professional. There was never an issue with the fact I carried nor was there a question about the Texas CHL.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I shall be leaving tomorrow and plan to Open Carry all the way stopping overnight in O.C. and in K.C. planning to watch the event at Watkins Mill State Park in Missouri. According to my info open carry is OK in all the other 3 states, also no problems in eating establishments that serve alcohol so I should be good.
Last edited by Noggin on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Noggin wrote:I shall be leaving tomorrow and plan to Open Carry all the way stopping overnight in O.C. and in K.C. planning to watch the event at Watkins Mill State Park in Missouri. According to my info open carry is OK in all the other 3 states, also no problems in eating establishments that sever alcohol so I should be good.
Save travels and fair winds. Be careful out there.

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Vol Texan wrote:This is your new best friend:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Focus on things in each state such as:
  • Duty to inform
  • Where carry is prohibited by statute
  • Do 'no guns' signs have force of law?
I just moved to Michigan from Texas. Drove through AR, TN, KY, IN, & MI. Fir each state I printed the agreement from the DPS website which showed reciprocity agreement between TX and respective states. Also printed the answers to the exact three questions mentioned above. It can be a little worrisome fir sure. I made sure to not speed and bring attention to myself. I also made myself a reminder about duty to inform by placing my chl in a little piece of paper with duty to inform written on it. I always keep my chl in front on my DL to ensure I give PO PO both. I read of a case in MI were the license holder simply gave his license and then 30sec later mentioned to the officer he was carrying/in possession. Person was arrested and convicted. Think I saw this on handgun laws website.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”