Campus carry mix-up

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
338winmag
Posts in topic: 1

Campus carry mix-up

Post by 338winmag »

It looks like the Lee College learning center in Liberty doesn't fall under the campus carry law. Below is a link to an article, about this. There is a lot of derp and misinformation in the article. It's something that need addressed. After all, they are using our tax money to pay rent on this building.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/dayto ... m=facebook

Jusme

Re: Campus carry mix-up

Post by Jusme »

338winmag wrote:It looks like the Lee College learning center in Liberty doesn't fall under the campus carry law. Below is a link to an article, about this. There is a lot of derp and misinformation in the article. It's something that need addressed. After all, they are using our tax money to pay rent on this building.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/dayto ... m=facebook

It says the building is owned by the ISD. Despite who it is leased to, there is no exceptions for carry on public school property. Unless I'm missing something?

My only issue was the first sentence, in that students would have been put in harms way. Even If someone had carried there, because of misinformation, what harm would other students have been subjected to?
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

I smell loop-hole... So an ISD rents/leases a building to another learning institution - in this case Liberty ISD has Leased to Lee College. The grounds/facility is no longer under the control of the ISD, so I wonder if the weapons free zone would still apply? Or is this building just part of a larger ISD complex?(Never been to the Lee College building in Liberty, Lee College is bad enough)

I mean if the statute prohibiting city/government owned property from posting 30.06 signs once leased to a private entity no longer applies, why wouldn't the same apply here?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Jusme wrote:It says the building is owned by the ISD. Despite who it is leased to, there is no exceptions for carry on public school property. Unless I'm missing something?
The same section of 46.03 that makes "the physical premises of a school or educational institution" off limits for armed good guys, says it's an offense UNLESS "the person possesses or goes with a concealed handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this section applies, on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education, on any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted"

In plain English, the community college having classes or other activities there overrides the school prohibition, until the Texas Supreme Court says otherwise or the legislature amends the law again.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Pariah3j wrote:I smell loop-hole... So an ISD rents/leases a building to another learning institution - in this case Liberty ISD has Leased to Lee College. The grounds/facility is no longer under the control of the ISD, so I wonder if the weapons free zone would still apply? Or is this building just part of a larger ISD complex?(Never been to the Lee College building in Liberty, Lee College is bad enough)

I mean if the statute prohibiting city/government owned property from posting 30.06 signs once leased to a private entity no longer applies, why wouldn't the same apply here?
It DOES apply, the AG just won't fine the city/government entity.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

ninjabread wrote:
Jusme wrote:It says the building is owned by the ISD. Despite who it is leased to, there is no exceptions for carry on public school property. Unless I'm missing something?
The same section of 46.03 that makes "the physical premises of a school or educational institution" off limits for armed good guys, says it's an offense UNLESS "the person possesses or goes with a concealed handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this section applies, on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education, on any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted"

In plain English, the community college having classes or other activities there overrides the school prohibition, until the Texas Supreme Court says otherwise or the legislature amends the law again.
:iagree:

Good point. Just because the ISD owns it doesn't mean it's not an institution of higher learning. Also the 30.06 signs are too small to be valid.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”