Carrying during the storm

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Carrying during the storm

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I am in Katy and so far I have been very fortunate during this storm. We have maintained power and water service, and we have plenty of supplies. The only issue is that we really can't go anywhere because all the roads around us are flooded.

I normally carry while at the house, and have been religious about doing so since the rain started coming down. My wife just rolled her eyes and shook her head thinking I am being a bit eccentric, to put it nicely. Late last night, we were sitting on our porch monitoring the drainage pond across the street as it got uncomfortably close to street level (which would have put the water less than 5 feet below our front door). A pickup truck and a car went by our house for the 5th time in the last hour and this time they stopped right across the street. After a few minutes, the car door opened and a young guy burst out the door and ran to our porch while keeping his right hand inside his shirt.

I moved myself between the approaching man and my wife, and my hand was on my holstered gun as he got to the porch. Turns out that the kid was unable to get back to his house in his car so his buddy was going to give him a ride and he wanted to ask if he could park his car in our driveway. His phone was in his hand under his shirt to keep it from getting wet. I told him yes, of course and asked if he needed anything. Since then, my wife has not given me any strange looks when she sees my gun. Even though I didn't need it, I am definitely glad I had it with me.

rtschl

Re: Carrying during the storm

Post by rtschl »

Glad y'all are OK with the storm. There has been one person shot trying to loot a home in Corpus Christi. The threat is very real:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3444620
Ron
NRA Member

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

I just hheard on the radio about several looters arrested in Houston.
I wish you all best and agree to keep a gun on you during times like this.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Good job. Stay safe down there - from the weather and the looters!

Weg

Post by Weg »

Be very careful in those situations, a lot of things we see as preceding an impeding assault are nothing more than normal behavior to others who are oblivious. Case in point : I used to walk down our road in the dark with my dogs, one morning, I saw a car coming at a high rate of speed and stepped into a driveway while I waited for him to pass, instead of passing he slowed to where I was, reached down onto the floor board and pointed what looked to be a gun at me. Instead of drawing my gun I scooted to one side to place the center pillar of the car between he an I. Out the window flies a newspaper. I would have shot an unarmed newspaper boy...

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

For a limited time, my 14 year old has my AR-15 beside his bed upstairs. No round in the chamber, but he is very familiar with how to use it.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Y'all stay safe! It's a state of lawlessness down there right now

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Prudence... We evacuated and took some side-arms with us. Yesterday we were able to get back to the house to check on things and found the house did not take water (Praise God!!) so we'll be able to come back as soon as we have power (water well). Standby Gen down apparently due to gas pressure issues so using a portable gen run periodically to keep the freezers and fridges up for now. Homes on our street are all on wooded acre-plus lots and while I don't really expect trouble during times like these, we took side-arms with us as much for when we come back to the temporarily-vacated house as for time spent away from it. Again, it is simple prudence.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Since then, my wife has not given me any strange looks when she sees my gun.
:biggrinjester: Such a good wife.

But seriously, my wife got worried recently when she saw my EDC still at home after I had left. She even called me. What she didn't know was that I had put a different one on that day.

I'm glad everything worked out good in your situation. I'm guessing there are a lot of people on edge in your area right now.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

Lynyrd wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:Since then, my wife has not given me any strange looks when she sees my gun.
:biggrinjester: Such a good wife.

But seriously, my wife got worried recently when she saw my EDC still at home after I had left. She even called me. What she didn't know was that I had put a different one on that day.

I'm glad everything worked out good in your situation. I'm guessing there are a lot of people on edge in your area right now.
My wife left for work today (4 days on 4 days off)
I was in the safe and noticed her EDC on a shelf, called her.. "Hey, your gun is in the safe, did you know you left it?"

Erik, look again................
"Oh, ahh, ya ok, your XDm 45, both spare mags and mag holder are gone, as is your Sig P238"

She had decided now was not the time for most comfort (EDC P938), but a little "more" her other full size EDC and a BUG were safely in her possession. :mrgreen:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

E.Marquez wrote: Erik, look again................
"Oh, ahh, ya ok, your XDm 45, both spare mags and mag holder are gone, as is your Sig P238"

She had decided now was not the time for most comfort (EDC P938), but a little "more" her other full size EDC and a BUG were safely in her possession. :mrgreen:
That's greatness! :thumbs2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

C-dub wrote:
E.Marquez wrote: Erik, look again................

That's greatness! :thumbs2:
I was grining ear to ear with no one but the dogs to notice :biggrinjester:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”