Just renewed but I have an ID question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 3

Just renewed but I have an ID question

Post by CoffeeNut »

When I got to Texas I got a State ID card and used that to fill out my application for my CHL. Shortly after getting my CHL I got a drivers license and have used that in conjunction with my CHL ever since (even though the ID#s don't match). When I logged in to renew I had to use that old state ID card number which I believe is expired now. From some of the posts here I see DPS has a section on their processing list for "DL/ID" Valid and I'm wondering if they will use my drivers license or the old, and expired, ID card?

I would hope the government can see that I have a drivers license and just use that along with the updated photo...
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

infoman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just renewed but I have an ID question

Post by infoman »

You have to contact them & tell them you now have a driver's license number. I would do so right away before the new LTC is mailed to you.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

When you received your TX drivers license, your TX ID became invalid. This should have been explained to you at the DPS drivers license office when you received the receipt for the DL. It is not legal to carry an TX ID and a TX DL. You should notify the DPS of the change ASAP. I would also give the DPS handgun division a call. They can tell you more accurately how to proceed.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

twomillenium wrote:When you received your TX drivers license, your TX ID became invalid. This should have been explained to you at the DPS drivers license office when you received the receipt for the DL. It is not legal to carry an TX ID and a TX DL. You should notify the DPS of the change ASAP. I would also give the DPS handgun division a call. They can tell you more accurately how to proceed.
Thank you! I'm calling them now.

Topic author
CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

Got ahold of a very nice DPS rep that told me all I had to do was send in a picture of my DL and CHL either by mail, email or fax that explained that I wanted to change numbers. So I used the supporting documents page and sent it in.

Simply stated on the same PDF - "please use my current drivers license number instead of my now expired State ID number that is printed on my CHL".

Pretty pleased with how efficient that system is.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

CoffeeNut wrote:Got ahold of a very nice DPS rep that told me all I had to do was send in a picture of my DL and CHL either by mail, email or fax that explained that I wanted to change numbers. So I used the supporting documents page and sent it in.

Simply stated on the same PDF - "please use my current drivers license number instead of my now expired State ID number that is printed on my CHL".

Pretty pleased with how efficient that system is.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”