Minimum Caliber for Handgun Proficiency Exam

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmorris
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Minimum Caliber for Handgun Proficiency Exam

Post by jmorris »

Abraham wrote:Like using one hand to shoot his pistol placing the other on his hip old guy, that was how I was taught to shoot a pistol in the Army in 1967.

Why we had to shoot employing this posture was something not explained.

Years later, I was told it came from the cavalry days. When dismounted, you held the reins in one hand and shot your pistol facing away from your horse in the other. Placing your non-shooting hand on your hip simulated holding the reins.
Sounds likely. It's also the pistol stance used in International Shooting Sports Federation (est. 1907) competions so one probably picked it up from the other. I had a Lt Col in late 70s who used it and called it the ISSF stance.
Last edited by jmorris on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

This was how I was taught to shoot, although I don't remember anyone telling me where to locate the nonshooting hand. The Theory was reduce your target and keep the left hand available for reloads. I still shoot best one handed with my body aligned with the bullet path. I don't normally shoot this way because the 2 handed slightly squatted stance has a tactical advantage.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

Liberty wrote:This was how I was taught to shoot, although I don't remember anyone telling me where to locate the nonshooting hand. The Theory was reduce your target and keep the left hand available for reloads. I still shoot best one handed with my body aligned with the bullet path. I don't normally shoot this way because the 2 handed slightly squatted stance has a tactical advantage.

This is how I first qualified. No one looked at me to strangely. I also used to cock the hammer back on my first shot.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”