Called out in church on my CC

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Called out in church on my CC

Post by 2farnorth »

I don't like for anyone outside of family to know that I carry. If there is a situation that may require self defense I don't want anyone glancing my way like they are expecting me to do something. And believe me, they will. Glances are giveaways if the assailant is paying attention.
N5PNZ

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by NotRPB »

2farnorth wrote:I don't like for anyone outside of family to know that I carry. If there is a situation that may require self defense I don't want anyone glancing my way like they are expecting me to do something. And believe me, they will. Glances are giveaways if the assailant is paying attention.
:iagree: Real good point I made to my own family, and others, that my timing is mine alone if and when I decide to do anything, or not, and not to be glancing my way expecting anything to occur such that a bad armed person takes notice of everyone looking at me ... which then would make me hesitate to draw at all if he is watching me and pointing his gun at me, that's not the most opportune situation..

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

NotRPB wrote:
2farnorth wrote:I don't like for anyone outside of family to know that I carry. If there is a situation that may require self defense I don't want anyone glancing my way like they are expecting me to do something. And believe me, they will. Glances are giveaways if the assailant is paying attention.
:iagree: Real good point I made to my own family, and others, that my timing is mine alone if and when I decide to do anything, or not, and not to be glancing my way expecting anything to occur such that a bad armed person takes notice of everyone looking at me ... which then would make me hesitate to draw at all if he is watching me and pointing his gun at me, that's not the most opportune situation..
An interesting consideration. However, even if I were not carrying my self-defense firearm, my wife and children would look to me first anyway. Anyone who knows me knows I am a retired Army officer. We have several retired/former service members in our congregation as well as off duty law enforcement officers. The sheep know the sheepdogs.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

allisji wrote: {snip}

He said that as a Steward of the church that he just wants to know where the guns are just in case or something like that.

{snip}
What else, that's also none of his business, does he want to know? Just askin'... :headscratch

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

An Interesting note from the presiding Elder at our church this last week pointed out that the Pastor is the Shepherd of his flock while the Elders are the sheepdogs -- assisting and supporting the Pastor. I think he clearly was not using the term sheepdog in the connotation of "protector" so much as acting as an extension of the faculties and abilities of the Pastor, acting to keep the sheep nearer the flock and the Shepherd. Interesting timing, though...
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

allisji wrote: He said that as a Steward of the church that he just wants to know where the guns are just in case

I don't get it, just in case what???? if you decide to shoot up the place or if all hell breaks loose. please elaborate.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Topic author
allisji
Posts in topic: 9

Post by allisji »

aaangel wrote:
allisji wrote: He said that as a Steward of the church that he just wants to know where the guns are just in case

I don't get it, just in case what???? if you decide to shoot up the place or if all heck breaks loose. please elaborate.
This is what I was left wondering. Why is the reason he wants to know who all has guns? I am not a threat, and I am not a security guard either. I will have to listen to the Lord's leading and decide when to act when confronted with a situation to defend innocent churchgoers. I carry a gun primarily for defense of my wife, kids, and self.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Am I the only one surprised that the pastor managed to spot signs of such a small gun in an IWB holster? Even with the exposed black clips on black belt, that was very observant of him. If he isn't a LEO or former LEO, then I would suspect that he also carries. Very few non-gun people are that observant.
You are not the only one.

Topic author
allisji

Post by allisji »

John Galt wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:Am I the only one surprised that the pastor managed to spot signs of such a small gun in an IWB holster? Even with the exposed black clips on black belt, that was very observant of him. If he isn't a LEO or former LEO, then I would suspect that he also carries. Very few non-gun people are that observant.
You are not the only one.
I certainly was surprised.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I guess I'm lucky.. My Pastor and I took our LTC class together last week. This Sunday after Church, our Pastor, our head Elder, myself and a few other members of our congregation had a match shoot at our local outdoor range. We have a scheduled competition with one of the local churches in our area as well.

One of our members is a certified range safety officer and tactical instructor as well. We did almost an hour of holster draw and fire training (using snap caps) before our shoot.

Needless to say we don't have much of a church bowling club :???:

BTW, New member here and first post. Learned more here than I did in my LTC class last week. Instructor was too busy pushing LTC insurance.

Mike

Topic author
allisji

Post by allisji »

Tex1961 wrote:I guess I'm lucky.. My Pastor and I took our LTC class together last week. This Sunday after Church, our Pastor, our head Elder, myself and a few other members of our congregation had a match shoot at our local outdoor range. We have a scheduled competition with one of the local churches in our area as well.

One of our members is a certified range safety officer and tactical instructor as well. We did almost an hour of holster draw and fire training (using snap caps) before our shoot.

BTW, New member here and first post. Learned more here than I did in my LTC class last week. Instructor was too busy pushing LTC insurance.

Mike
Welcome and thanks for contributing :tiphat:
LTC since 2015

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Tex1961 wrote:I guess I'm lucky.. My Pastor and I took our LTC class together last week. This Sunday after Church, our Pastor, our head Elder, myself and a few other members of our congregation had a match shoot at our local outdoor range. We have a scheduled competition with one of the local churches in our area as well.

Mike
100% agree, I have been here a year and a half. I couldn't tell you how much this fourm has help me !!!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Abraham wrote:Without sounding pugnacious or in any way unkind, if I'm ever put on the spot like you were, I'd very politely answer that I'd be willing to discuss it in private...given this person's church position, I wouldn't want to sound rude to him, but many of us like to keep our gun carrying something quite confidential.
If you want it confidential the first step is to do a good job concealing.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I see terms such as Steward, Elder and various Pastoral ranks mentioned throughout this thread. In our small FUMC, we have a Pastor and a Choir Director. What size and what denominations are y'all talkin' about that has all of these middle and upper management positions runnin' the show?

With all due respect, just askin'.....

Jnazee

Post by Jnazee »

Mike
Welcome to the forum.
Yes this is a great place to come if you have any questions. Everyone here is so helpful and knowledgeable.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”