Glad I was Carrying

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 6

Glad I was Carrying

Post by Lynyrd »

I’ve never drawn my pistol on anyone, and I hope I will always be able to say that. But I had an incident over the weekend where I showed my pistol, and that was enough. This occurred at about 5:15 in the afternoon.

I was headed home from the plant (in a high crime area) and had to pass through a “T” intersection with a stop sign. To my right I saw two young men walking approaching the intersection. Both of them had pants sagging down well below their waist (showing their underwear). One of them was wearing a black skull cap made out of stretchy nylon like material, and the other wore a baseball cap with the bill turned sideways over his left ear and flipped up in the air. The guy with his hat screwed up had a cigarette dangling out of his mouth bouncing as he was talking. Both had on dark t-shirts with some kind of writing, logos, or something on them.

They got to the intersection about the same time I did. I was about to make a right turn from the dead end side of the “T” and they were walking down the side of the other street coming in my direction from my right. As I stopped behind the white stripe for the stop sign, they sped up, altered their course and approached my front passenger side window. I could see their hands. They did not have their hands in their pockets, and their hands were empty.

My windows were rolled up, and my truck has automatic door locks so the doors were locked. My AC was on full blast, and since I am also stone deaf in my right ear I couldn’t understand anything they were saying. But, they were both gesturing at me very animatedly and one of them started knocking on my window. I couldn’t complete the turn yet because of oncoming traffic on the other street which did not have to stop. So I was pretty much stuck there with these two thugs yelling at me and one of them banging on my passenger side window.

Calmly, I prepared myself to draw in case one of them happened to break the window. I unbuckled my seatbelt and lifted my shirt tail with my right hand exposing my gun, and lightly rested my hand on the grip. The one banging on my window immediately stopped banging and said something to the other guy, and they both took off rapidly back the way they had come. Not running, but more of a fast walk/jog.

By that time the traffic was clear and I went ahead with my right turn which put me driving directly towards them. As I went by they stopped and watched me pass. I could see them in my mirror turn around again and go back towards the intersection in the direction they were initially headed.

I drove on home, and didn’t report the incident. After all, no crime was committed. I have no idea what either one of them said because I am so badly hearing impaired.

:biggrinjester: For all I know they were collecting money for hurricane relief, and they just happened to be wearing saggy pants and had very poor tastes in headgear.

Whatever they wanted, I was glad I was carrying.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Glad I was Carrying

Post by Pariah3j »

Glad to hear it turned out to be a non-event. I know Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have called, if nothing else so they could send an officer by to make sure they weren't up to no-good, and to be the first to report - heard/read lots of horror stories about incidents like yours becoming an ordeal because the BG called and reported that someone flashed a gun or had drawn a gun on them.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Pariah3j wrote:Glad to hear it turned out to be a non-event. I know Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have called, if nothing else so they could send an officer by to make sure they weren't up to no-good, and to be the first to report - heard/read lots of horror stories about incidents like yours becoming an ordeal because the BG called and reported that someone flashed a gun or had drawn a gun on them.
:iagree:

It sounds like these two men were trying pretty hard to get the OP's attention so it's possible that they were in genuine need of assistance, and it's also possible that they were making a rather lame attempt at a carjacking. Both of these possibilities would have benefitted from a LEO contact, for different reasons.

The important thing is that the OP left the encounter alive and well. Everything else is secondary.

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Pariah3j wrote:Glad to hear it turned out to be a non-event. I know Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have called, if nothing else so they could send an officer by to make sure they weren't up to no-good, and to be the first to report - heard/read lots of horror stories about incidents like yours becoming an ordeal because the BG called and reported that someone flashed a gun or had drawn a gun on them.
Both you and SoccerDad make good points. And yes, hindsight is always 20/20. I suppose my instincts took over and I just wanted to put distance between me and them. Also, they way I was raised we were taught to leave well enough alone. Calling 911 didn't exist, and you didn't cry wolf every time you saw something that looked odd. Rural country folks handle life a bit differently than most, more self reliant. We have to be.

I am now questioning my own decisions.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Lynyrd wrote:
Both you and SoccerDad make good points. And yes, hindsight is always 20/20. I suppose my instincts took over and I just wanted to put distance between me and them. Also, they way I was raised we were taught to leave well enough alone. Calling 911 didn't exist, and you didn't cry wolf every time you saw something that looked odd. Rural country folks handle life a bit differently than most, more self reliant. We have to be.

Don't 2nd guess yourself. If it walks like a duck...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:

It sure looked like a duck to me.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

:iagree:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Lynyrd wrote:

Don't question your decision - I think it was the right one - I was merely saying that after you flashed your gun and left the area, I would have called and reported the incident. I am all about self-reliance, so I don't fault you - merely pointing out one of the things I've learned since becoming an LTC.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

dlh

Post by dlh »

Of course we speculate as to their motive. Maybe they were trying to see if you "needed" anything...
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I think putting distance between them and you was an excellent choice. Like the other poster said, calling after you got to a safe place would have been prudent, but dealing with the situation at hand and making yourself safe takes precedence over calling the police.
USAF 1982-2005

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Don't beat yourself up. I've shared before... I made the mistake not to listen to my instincts and was robbed at gunpoint about 25+ years ago at a car wash. You did the right thing as far as I'm concerned - very measured response as you were trapped at the intersection with two guys banging on your window.

As many have stated in several other threads as well - I will add my agreement to call 911. It protects you and maybe someone else and if they were in need of assistance, it helps them. I will always call 911 ASAP if I have to show or draw my weapon.
Ron
NRA Member

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

rtschl wrote:Don't beat yourself up. I've shared before... I made the mistake not to listen to my instincts and was robbed at gunpoint about 25+ years ago at a car wash. You did the right thing as far as I'm concerned - very measured response as you were trapped at the intersection with two guys banging on your window.

As many have stated in several other threads as well - I will add my agreement to call 911. It protects you and maybe someone else and if they were in need of assistance, it helps them. I will always call 911 ASAP if I have to show or draw my weapon.
I'm not beating myself up about it. If I had the situation to deal with again I would still do handle the incident in exactly the same way. The part I now have questions about in my mind is calling 911 afterwards. I know 911 gets abused by people calling over nothing, or their cat is in a tree, they saw a man with a gun, etc, etc. For crying out loud, we have legal open carry in Texas now so "showing" a gun is an every day thing.

What I'm I going to tell the 911 operator?

I saw two young guys wearing saggy pants hanging off their butt. They approached my truck, and one of them banged on my window but I don't know what he said. I felt threatened so I lifted my shirt and made my pistol visible.

How is any of that going to be interpreted by a 911 operator, or an LEO? Will they possibly think that I threatened them? I just don't see much good coming out of a 911 call in this instance. But I'm thinking about it.

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I will add this. The whole incident made me very grateful that I was carrying at the time. We used to not be able to carry at the plant, and in those days I would have been disarmed because I was driving a company truck (although not identified) at the time. The power of deterrence from the potential BG just "seeing" my gun was also amazing. When I started this thread those were really the only two thoughts I had about the subject.

Now that others have said I should have called 911, I'm puzzled as to whether or not I actually should have made that call.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I know the city I live in encourages people to call 911 if there are suspicious people/vehicles in the area, even if they are not doing anything obviously illegal. The hope is that an officer can show up and investigate. If the 2 people who approached you were indeed needing assistance, an officer would potentially be able to help. If they were up to no good, an officer approaching may encourage them to move along.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

If you search the forum, you will find that being the first to call 911 might be in your best interest. In the past, I would have done the same as you and not called 911 in this exact circumstance. Based on the wisdom of others here I have changed my mind.

* You want to be the first to call 911 - it does seem that the first caller is the most believed, at least at first
* If they are causing trouble - you may save someone else's property and/or life by alerting the authorities
* If it was an emergency and they just needed help - police are better equipped in that situation to get them help

Your situation is a little different in that you didn't draw and no one but these two saw it. So it isn't likely that you would have a bystander calling 911 for a "man with a gun" and a description of your vehicle and license plate. But what if one of these two guys did - just to get back at you? I would never have thought of that until it was brought up here in other posts.
Ron
NRA Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”