Us Poor Lefties

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Us Poor Lefties

Post by flechero »

The Annoyed Man wrote: The problem isn't so much drawing left-handed, it's being able to access a gun that is pressed up against the inside of the door. There's not enough room to access it effectively.

Tam- What are you driving? When seated in my truck there is at least 6" between my gun and the door... and in my wife's car there is still sufficient room to get a full firing grip with a very light lean to the front right. (and I'm not too small.) Seems like the only problem when in the car is elbow clearing the back rest which is universal, not a R or L issue.

Be honest, are you driving a Prius or a Smartcar??? :shock:

"rlol"

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 1

Post by canvasbck »

I'm also a lefty (left handed, not political leaning)

Best answer, get into competitive shooting. Either IDPA or USPSA (IDPA is a little more newbie friendly, but USPSA has more complicated puzzles). You will find yourself shooting from awkward positions and even from inside a vehicle through both drivers and passengers windows. You will be able to practice things that you cannot practice at most ranges. I have shot out the driver's side window of a vehicle enough that it is just another shooting position.

Through competitive shooting I've shot from a recliner, a zero gravity chair, the toilet, a vehicle, a golf cart, from the trunk of a car, prone through a culvert, strong handed, weak handed, through ports that had to be held open, standing on an unstable platform, seated in an unstable canoe, handcuffed, even tied to a swinging pendulum. Started with hands under water, gun in a box, gun on a barrel (loaded and unloaded), gun in a tool box, gun in a center console, gun in a dresser drawer, gun and mags in a gym bag, mags in an apron pocket, etc.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

flechero wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: The problem isn't so much drawing left-handed, it's being able to access a gun that is pressed up against the inside of the door. There's not enough room to access it effectively.

Tam- What are you driving? When seated in my truck there is at least 6" between my gun and the door... and in my wife's car there is still sufficient room to get a full firing grip with a very light lean to the front right. (and I'm not too small.) Seems like the only problem when in the car is elbow clearing the back rest which is universal, not a R or L issue.

Be honest, are you driving a Prius or a Smartcar??? :shock:

"rlol"
No, I'm driving a 4Runner - which is a mid-sized SUV. The problem is that I'm a "wide-body". :oops: Yes, I can lean way to the right and draw the gun, but it isn't as easily or quickly done as it would be in a right-side holster......which is one reason why I favor a shoulder holster for longer distance drives.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flechero »

I actually test drove a 4runner and remember it being a bit tight in the drivers seat. I think it had more of a bucket style seat as well- which makes it tighter.

Do you have a dedicated car rig? I never really gave it much thought, even on long trips. I'm fortunate that my gun doesn't bother me in my (or the wife's) vehicle.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

I'm not left handed, but my normal carry is in my back pocket so no go while driving. As stated above first option is to use the car itself to get out of the situation all together. I also keep a full size 40 in a pocket sewn to my seat cover on the front of the seat that is very easy to get to. Also at times i put my smaller carry gun under my left leg while driving, I can drive with my left hand keep my right in or near my lap and get to it very quickly without making obvious motions. When I go to get out i just put it back on my pocket. Looks just like someone who pulled their wallet out to drive and is putting it back when they park.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

priusron

Post by priusron »

MPA is very specific on how to conceal in a vehicle. By brother has a holster clipped under the steering colum but that is not legal in our state, he lives out of state. You could fasten a holster to your console by your rt knee and cover with a towel. I am left ha dead but right eyed. I learned to shoot rt handed. I have never had safety issues because I carry either XD 45 or an M&P 45 with external safety removed. I am comfortable with either hand. I halos have an AR 9 mm that I can carry in the jeep.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”