HOA Community Club House

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 2

HOA Community Club House

Post by JakeTheSnake »

There is a gentleman that is going to give free basic handgun classes at our community center. The issue is, they have posted the center 30.07.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't they have to take the posting down during the class? Wouldn't pulling a gun out to teach a class violate the law?
Last edited by JakeTheSnake on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HOA Community Club House

Post by SewTexas »

I don't think so.....
I don't think it means a gun can't be seen.
I think it means a gun can be in an un-covered holster.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

30.06 & 30.07 both contain the clause "without effective consent". If the instructor has consent (ie, permission) from the HOA (as in Board of Directors, Clubhouse manager, etc), then I would think the signage would not apply for this case. (The sign would be a good visual aid for that portion of the class, though!).

There are other discussions on this forum regarding signage & applicability/non-applicability for residents in common areas, etc that may also pertain to this situation, but I think the easiest would be the consent of the HOA to allow the class in the first place (provided they know he's giving the class, & it wasn't just a generic request for the clubhouse).

ETA: After re-reading SewTexas' response, I re-read the OPs post (yeah, I know. Read twice, then respond once... Duh.)

I agree with SewTexas that both 30.06/.07 deal with the CC/OC of handguns under the authority of GC 411.xyz (the LTC statue). Since this is a basic handgun safety class, AND the instructor has the permission of the HOA to use the clubhouse, I think the signage is moot (as in, any displayed firearms are lawful based not on the LTC statue, but based on the permission to use the clubhouse for such.) If carrying under the authority of the LTC, handguns would need to remain concealed.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

JakeTheSnake wrote:There is a gentleman that is going to give free basic handgun classes at our community center. The issue is, they have posted the center 30.07.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't they have to take the posting down during the class? Wouldn't pulling a gun out to teach a class violate the law?
By whose authority is it posted? Did the HOA Board make a unilateral decision? Is this legally recorded in the HOA CC&R's? Was it put to a vote before the homeowners? And how does the HOA think that they can deny you access to common area if you are a homeowner? There are so many unasnwered issues with this, it may well be igorance or a deliberate overstepping of bounds by the HOA. :banghead:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
JakeTheSnake wrote:There is a gentleman that is going to give free basic handgun classes at our community center. The issue is, they have posted the center 30.07.
By whose authority is it posted? Did the HOA Board make a unilateral decision? Is this legally recorded in the HOA CC&R's? Was it put to a vote before the homeowners? And how does the HOA think that they can deny you access to common area if you are a homeowner? There are so many unasnwered issues with this, it may well be igorance or a deliberate overstepping of bounds by the HOA. :banghead:
I'm pretty sure most of the BOD ase pro 2A. Probably afraid if put to a neighborhood vote there are enough commifornians and austinites to make it a "GFZ" like schools. That way they don't have to worry about someone walking in and shooting a bunch of kids, cause guns are not allowed right?
The gentleman holding the class has already got approval from the HOA, so he/they should be good to go.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”