CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
johnnyglass
Posts in topic: 1

FL to TX CCW - Different State Requirements

Post by johnnyglass »

Hello all,

I recently moved to Texas from FL. I have a CCW from FL, and I want to get a TX LTC. Here's my issue.

I have a DWI conviction from Texas back in 2014. I was able to get my CCW in Florida as people aren't ineligible until their 2nd DWI. However, when looking at Texas, any Class B DWI makes you ineligible for 5 years.

So, am I forced to carry my Florida non-resident when I change my address? Or should I not carry until I can get a Texas LTC?

Thanks.

RPBrown

Re: FL to TX CCW - Different State Requirements

Post by RPBrown »

IANAL but I would carry under my Florida permit until the 5 years have passed.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if you were active on the FL concealed carry forum, but I recently got some great info there before my trip to Orlando this past summer. Either way, you will find that this forum is populated by great people with great info. Some disagreements, of course, but always civility.

As far as your question, personally, I would definitely carry if you are legally able to do so. If that means using your Florida permit, or another non-resident permit because you are not able to get a Texas LTC, then I would do that. It definitely beats the alternative of being unarmed. But definitely review the TX specific laws. Having done this in reverse when I visited FL, here are some of the major differences I noticed:

Signs have force of law here, but they need to meet very specific wording and display requirements. Texas section 30.06 covers the requirements for banning concealed carry, and section 30.07 covers the requirements for banning open carry.

It is illegal for entities to restrict carry in / on government owned property, but a lot of them try anyways. The signs are invalid and unenforceable though. You can complain to the AG, but that may not get much of a result.

Certain places, including government owned locations are restricted for carry. This is an exception to the rule above.

Don't drink (much) while carrying. The legal standard in TX is "intoxicated". This is different than FL, where I believe you are OK as long as you don't actually touch your gun. Best advice is the same everywhere to not drink at all if carrying.

You need to show your LTC with your DL if you are stopped by a LEO in TX.

I think those are the main differences.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I carried here on my FL license for quite a while, due to laziness and cost. :lol:
Now that a TX LTC is much cheaper, cost is a non-factor.

If I was in the OP's situation, I would carry on my FL license with barely a second thought. My only small worry would be school zones, which are only exempted from Federal GFSZA violation if carrying on a license issued by the State where the school is located.

This is my OPINION. Not legal advice.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”