Chatting with a LEO and another

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Chatting with a LEO and another

Post by crazy2medic »

Today while shopping with my wife I walked up on a White Settlement LEO talking with some guy, the guy was asking the LEO about LTC, initially I stayed out of the conversation but I was listening to them from a short distance away (yes that is rude) after the LEO couldn't answer some of the guys questions I joined the conversation bringing my 2 cents with me (yes that is rude too) this guy was claiming he had his LTC but his questions were things he should have learned in Class, he asked about where he could and couldn't carry, didn't know the difference between .06 and .07 signage, just seemed like either he wasn't paying attention in class or didn't have a very good instructor.
The guy did ask about open carrying, said in Virginia if you open carry there you have to have a lanyard on your pistol. Was an interesting conversation.

Did I mention I can be rude?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

jmorris

Re: Chatting with a LEO and another

Post by jmorris »

Well, you aren't alone.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

How rude! Imparting knowledge upon the ignorant! In certain high profile demonstrations one could be whipped with a bicycle chain by a masked assailants accusing you of suppressing freedom of speech! :biggrinjester:
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I stay out of conversations where the person asking for knowledge appears to be lying or puffing themselves up.
(trying to find the right words while keeping within forum rules is sometimes difficult)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

crazy2medic wrote:The guy did ask about open carrying, said in Virginia if you open carry there you have to have a lanyard on your pistol.
This is a smashing good idea. Nothing says "up and coming leftenant, suh!" like sporting a Webley on a lanyard, bonus fashion points for a full-flap holster, eh?

But don't stop with just a lanyard, old boy. Be a daring lad. Fire for best effect with the ladies by completing your evening ensemble with jodhpurs and a pith helmet. Pop in to the local taproom with a few spare quid, and, bob's your uncle - the lassies are at your command, old chap.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Had a similar situation happen about 3 weeks ago. However this was between a LTC holder and a person who has only lived in Texas for about 2 years and was only just getting into shooting. I know both of these gentlemen so getting into the conversation was easy enough. However as I started listening in i realized LTC guy was giving transplant guy almost 100% wrong information.

Background info: LTC guy is 70 years old and is that guy who knows everything about everything. Has had his LTC for about 10 years now but hasn't read up a single thing about all of the new Firearm laws in Texas.

I had my LTC class scheduled for the next week and as such had been pouring over the DPS site relating to all of the Penal Codes, Laws, etc. related to LTC, Open Carry, Castle and Stand your Ground laws..

I didn't want to be rude to the older gentlemen (ok well I wanted to a little bit as he is an arrogant know it all). But I sort of stood a bit off to the side and behind him. As he is telling new guy all the wrong information I am very subtly shaking my head in the negative and giving him that stare that says please ignore him as he is clueless. Anyway... after LTC guys walks away I tell him I will get him all of the right info. Later that afternoon I sent the correct info to him direct from the DPS website as it related to his specific questions...

So be careful what information you get out there.. Lots of misinformed and armchair lawyers out there giving out wrong advise.... Take the time to read up the laws yourself.....

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

He said he had his LTC, or he said he had his TEXAS LTC? Sounds like an 'out of stater' who didn't do his homework. You have to pay SOME attention in class to get enough of the questions right on the Texas written test........
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Kinda makes me wonder about the legitimacy of the lanyard thing.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ELB

Post by ELB »

treadlightly wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:The guy did ask about open carrying, said in Virginia if you open carry there you have to have a lanyard on your pistol.
This is a smashing good idea. Nothing says "up and coming leftenant, suh!" like sporting a Webley on a lanyard, bonus fashion points for a full-flap holster, eh?

But don't stop with just a lanyard, old boy. Be a daring lad. Fire for best effect with the ladies by completing your evening ensemble with jodhpurs and a pith helmet. Pop in to the local taproom with a few spare quid, and, bob's your uncle - the lassies are at your command, old chap.
Hey. A lanyard might not be such a bad idea:
In my 11 years of reporting, this was a first. On Sunday, I found what looks to be a South Bend police officer's gun in the middle of the street.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”