WARNING: DPS Not Sending Renewal Packets

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

dolanp
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dolanp »

Well I agree that the DPS should follow the law. However, there is some responsibility on the part of the license-holder to be sure that they have a valid license whenever they carry. I don't think the DPS it totally to blame for that situation.
Springfield XD 9mm Service

Blazen

Post by Blazen »

dolanp wrote:Well I agree that the DPS should follow the law. However, there is some responsibility on the part of the license-holder to be sure that they have a valid license whenever they carry. I don't think the DPS it totally to blame for that situation.
I totally agree...

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Chas -

FWIW, in thinking back to one of the early instructor renewal schools, we (rather vigorously) pointed out to DPS that the "60 days before expiration", combined with the up-to-45-day processing time, gave license holders only a 15-day window to find a class and get the paperwork submitted.

Thereafter, they agreed that could be problematic and agreed to start mailing the actual packets out several months in advance. I think it was at least a year or three later that they started phasing in the pin number thing and computerized option.

Over the years, I've had a few folks mention they needed to renew, but had not received diddly from DPS. Upon further inquiry, I learned that some of 'em had not submitted change of address form ... :oops:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

ElGato
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ElGato »

There was a time when the DPS would send us renewal packets and let us pass them out at class time if the CHL didn't have one, then we would make a copy of their license and write on that paper whether or not any changes needed to be made and what they were, that worked for the app, that all came to a stop about three years ago.
I think there was some personnel changes about that time.
Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”