The Good Guys Retail Thread

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

The Good Guys Retail Thread

Post by Tex1961 »

Don't know if there is one here, but I'd like to start a thread where we can post information on the "Good Guys" retail locations.

Attached are photos of a local vacuum cleaner service near my house.. I know they will get my business when I need that service.

Lone Star Vacuum, Kroger center. Hy 121 and Cost Rd. Plano

EDIT.. Attach photo option isn't working for me...

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The Good Guys Retail Thread

Post by Vol Texan »

Given that this site is viewed by / trolled by a lot of antis, I am reluctant to post business names that are proactively 2A friendly.

The anti-2A community has mastered the implementation of Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, and I'm not prone to providing them with a 'target list' that they can use.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Vol Texan wrote:Given that this site is viewed by / trolled by a lot of antis, I am reluctant to post business names that are proactively 2A friendly.

The anti-2A community has mastered the implementation of Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, and I'm not prone to providing them with a 'target list' that they can use.
Valid point..

Any way to update the Texas3006 website and / or the app to add a green sticker for the good guys?

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

Tex1961 wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:Given that this site is viewed by / trolled by a lot of antis, I am reluctant to post business names that are proactively 2A friendly.

Valid point..

Any way to update the Texas3006 website and / or the app to add a green sticker for the good guys?
First things first...I see that you're relatively new here, so...Welcome to the Forum! You've only been here a week or so, and you've been an active and positive contributor since you joined. We're glad to have you here!

This topic has been brought up before, but to save you the need to search for it, I'll share with you two thoughts:
  • Using Texas3006.com in that method will have the same impact as your idea above. It is trolled by leftists - not as much as it is used by LTC holders, but trolled all the same. The last thing we want to do is give a list of prime targets to those who would want to destroy said businesses. Many folks here are owners of retail businesses that are not gun-centric, and you won't see much open talk about that because nobody wants to become the recipient of a targeted social media campaign against them (e.g. bad Yelp reviews, bad Google reviews, Facebook protests). Here are some examples of media and social media attempts to drive customers to or away from businesses based on (supposed) political views: The examples above are national campaigns against much larger companies that can withstand the onslaught easier. When the liberals protested against Chic Fil A, the conservatives lined up around the parking lot. However, with the locally-owned and operated businesses, the same might not be true. Find a conservative-leaning store in downtown Austin, and you could rapidly cut off the customer supply by 'outing' them to the local community. I'm not going to be an enabler to that.
  • As one of the handful of Texas3006.com moderators, I assure you that the volume of data flowing through the site for posted sites alone is enough to keep us busy. I live in Houston, and we have ~1500 locations listed in the database. That includes valid postings, invalid postings, 3006 & 07 signs, 51% signs, non-posted schools, and other (e.g. federal off-limits locations), among other things. That seems like a lot, but think about it...only 1500 entries in the fourth largest city in the US (note that only 800 or so are valid 3006 postings) - a city that has WAY more than 1500 businesses. If we were to start posting all the 'good' places as well, we'd need 20-30 more moderators just to keep up with the volume (or just one more mod, if JustSomeOldGuy has a twin brother - he's an absolute machine on the Texas3006.com site!)
This isn't to suggest that your ideas are not welcome - because no idea is bad, because if it may somehow be a catalyst to an even better idea in someone else's mind. But this one has been brought up a few times, and it the negatives definitely outweigh the positives.
Last edited by Vol Texan on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

VOL TEXAN,

And you sir are one of the reasons I joined the forum. As I have stated previously in other posts, long time gun owner and shooter, but new to LTC. These are questions that I have had but not had enough experience to think all the way through. Your post makes perfect sense to me and I appreciate the feedback very much.

That being said, I did go into the business and spoke with one of the employees, he had mentioned that they also have a location in Austin and while the majority of the responses to their signs have been positive they do on occasion get the ultra left winger that will come in and give them a hard time. So now I do understand about not showcasing these business. It is a shame, but it's the world we live in...

Thanks again to all that have responded to my questions, you all have been a great help to me so far.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Concealed carry for people, concealed support for businesses. I like it!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”