State Fair - Again

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: State Fair - Again

Post by C-dub »

Do not tell the "wanders" anything other than that you need to see the officer or just walk over to the officer. The "wanders" don't need to know anything. I haven't been to the fair in a couple of years, but this is what I did. I've taken the initiative and not given them the chance to holler out "we got a gun here" or "we have a CHL here" or whatever. They don't need to know. I didn't even tell them why I needed to see the officer. As far as they're concerned I am also an officer. It's none of their business and I don't need them hollering out anything for anyone within earshot to hear.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

milsurpman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by milsurpman »

As I have also done the Last 3 years. Go to security and say I need to see the officer.Then walk over with license in hand and give. You will immediately be released to go into fair. I also carry on dart.

Mel

Post by Mel »

I just walked straight to the officer, handed him my CHL. He looked at it an said have fun at the Fair!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Nano

Post by Nano »

Here is my State Fair story. Last Thursday (Senior Day) my wife and I road the Dart train from the Westmoreland station to downtown and transferred to the green line to the State Fair. My wife also carries. As we entered the entrance line you must place your keys etc in a plastic bucket. Before I actually went through the scanner I was told that I would need to take the knife back to my car. I went outside the fair grounds and put knife under a low dense bush. When we left the fair grounds it was still there and I retrieved it.
Back to the fair. When I went through the scanner the bells went off and I told the attendant that I was concealed carrying. She said to go see the officer in the tower. My wife had already done this. All the officer wanted was my drivers license and my LTC. A quick check and we were on our way.
The point of my telling this story is that it seems ironic that a small pocket knife is illegal but a loaded, concealed .45 is not. We had a great time at the fair.
NRA Member

CZp10
Banned

Post by CZp10 »

Nano wrote: The point of my telling this story is that it seems ironic that a small pocket knife is illegal but a loaded, concealed .45 is not. We had a great time at the fair.
Sorry, I am not current on knife rules. I thought Texas had passed a law allowing a lot more knife carry, so why would they stop the knife and allow the gun?

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

CZp10 wrote:
Nano wrote: The point of my telling this story is that it seems ironic that a small pocket knife is illegal but a loaded, concealed .45 is not. We had a great time at the fair.
Sorry, I am not current on knife rules. I thought Texas had passed a law allowing a lot more knife carry, so why would they stop the knife and allow the gun?
I don’t think there is a law that makes it illegal to prohibit the carry of knives like there is one for concealed carry.

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

When I went last year I did not bring my pocket knife like I normally do daily because of what I read in the Fair's FAQ. When I arrived and declared my LTC to the woman at the gate I was directed to an officer who, after checking my license, waved me through. Thought about bringing my knife this time based on my experience from last year but now you guys have me second guessing that. I guess I could carry my pocket knife on the same side as my gun (normally carry on the opposite side) which would defeat a metal detector wand...

So I had a couple of questions. I'm planning on going tomorrow morning and donating some canned goods to get in with a discount ($4 admission when you bring 4 cans of food). I was thinking about catching the rail there so I won't have to deal with parking (and continuing my cheapskate theme by donating the canned goods.. but hey it's for a good cause!) and was thinking about bringing them in my backpack along with a metal water thermos (I like keeping my water cold) and I couldn't find anything in the Fair's website saying I couldn't do so. I says that personal food and beverages are allowed but doesn't say anything specifically about backpacks or metal thermoses.

Since I'll be taking the rail it won't be like I can simply leave it in my vehicle. Any ideas on this?

pcernuch

Post by pcernuch »

i took my son saturday morning, we went threw security, Jr was fine I obv. tripped the metal detector and just told the nice lady i needed to speak with the officer. He told me to "keep concealed, and have a great day"!!!

god bless.

jminn1

Post by jminn1 »

Four of us went to the Fair on Saturday. Two of us carrying.
We got on the Green Line going South and other than the strange smell wafting thru the train car, all went well. Full train.
Got off at the Fair Park station and the two of us who were carrying went to the CHL line, presented our identification and were courteously waved into the Fair.
The two folks not carrying took about 10 minutes to get thru the wanding process and joined us.

Good experience, great day, no shots fired.

I do want to express my thanks to the Dallas Police Department for their conspicuous visibility. Well Done. Thank You DPD.
Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Barry Goldwater

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

There's a CHL line? Awesome!

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Went to the fair this morning and had no issues whatsoever. Got in the line to get wanded and told the lady I had an LTC and she directed me to the officer on duty. Took a look at my license and waved me through without looking through my backpack. I also decided to go ahead and bring my knife. Doesn't make sense that I can bring a gun but can't bring my knife. Anyway beautiful weather today to be at the fair.

jminn1

Post by jminn1 »

Go Jose!
Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Barry Goldwater

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”