Women and weapon retention

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Women and weapon retention

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Before typing further, I need to confess that my frustration level at purse-carry is growing by leaps and bounds. So evaluate my comments in light of my extreme prejudice against this "feel-good" practice.

For many years, my wife carried a variety of different handguns in her purse. She typically carried true "gun purses" like those made by Galco. On rare occasions, she would carry in an IWB or OWB holster, but only when she got spooked about a client or a location. (She is a Realtor who makes a living showing empty homes to strangers!) One of her carry guns is a SIG P238 (the subject of yet another rant for a different thread). This gun can be carried on her person regardless of the clothes she's wearing. Even her CZ P-01 can be carried on her person the vast majority of the time, but her purse remains the primary method.

I've heard it said countless times that carrying a gun in a purse is better than not carrying a gun at all. I've said it myself, but I'm no longer convinced this is true most of the time. I've run Tueller Drills with women who purse-carry and the results are dramatic. Rarely have those demonstrations made a lasting impression that prompted women to carry on their person. Some would do so for a short period of time, but complacency would set in and the gun went back into the grab-bag (purse).

Realistically, most personal attacks are sudden and violent, with little time to react and respond. Yes, there are times when one can see something coming, such as watching a robbery unfold in a restaurant, but those are rare in the grand scheme. Having a gun in a purse can be life-saving if the woman is in a car and has time to get to her weapon, but a handgun in the console would be every bit as fast to access if not faster.

I'm not saying that a handgun in a purse is always useless. I am saying that, of all the violent attacks that could befall someone, very few will allow sufficient time to retrieve a handgun from a purse. If one is going to carry a handgun to provide a better chance of surviving a deadly attack, then do so in the most prudent and efficient manner possible. You owe it to yourself and to those who love and depend upon you being in their lives.

I know, I'm in the minority . . . but I'm also right!

Chas.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Before typing further, I need to confess that my frustration level at purse-carry is growing by leaps and bounds. So evaluate my comments in light of my extreme prejudice against this "feel-good" practice.

For many years, my wife carried a variety of different handguns in her purse. She typically carried true "gun purses" like those made by Galco. On rare occasions, she would carry in an IWB or OWB holster, but only when she got spooked about a client or a location. (She is a Realtor who makes a living showing empty homes to strangers!) One of her carry guns is a SIG P238 (the subject of yet another rant for a different thread). This gun can be carried on her person regardless of the clothes she's wearing. Even her CZ P-01 can be carried on her person the vast majority of the time, but her purse remains the primary method.

I've heard it said countless times that carrying a gun in a purse is better than not carrying a gun at all. I've said it myself, but I'm no longer convinced this is true most of the time. I've run Tueller Drills with women who purse-carry and the results are dramatic. Rarely have those demonstrations made a lasting impression that prompted women to carry on their person. Some would do so for a short period of time, but complacency would set in and the gun went back into the grab-bag (purse).

Realistically, most personal attacks are sudden and violent, with little time to react and respond. Yes, there are times when one can see something coming, such as watching a robbery unfold in a restaurant, but those are rare in the grand scheme. Having a gun in a purse can be life-saving if the woman is in a car and has time to get to her weapon, but a handgun in the console would be every bit as fast to access if not faster.

I'm not saying that a handgun in a purse is always useless. I am saying that, of all the violent attacks that could befall someone, very few will allow sufficient time to retrieve a handgun from a purse. If one is going to carry a handgun to provide a better chance of surviving a deadly attack, then do so in the most prudent and efficient manner possible. You owe it to yourself and to those who love and depend upon you being in their lives.

I know, I'm in the minority . . . but I'm also right!

Chas.
:iagree: Purses are convenient for the ladies, but it gives up too much control of the weapon. I helped write our company's policy on CC on the job, and we even disallowed purses in our policy.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

SewTexas wrote:..Very often women will start with a purse, then will turn to on body after a year or two....just be patient, there are lots of purses out there. look at Montana West, good purses, beautiful, and affordable. Look at Gun Toten Mama (I'm really not spelling that right) those are sort of affordable, they started out being well priced and worked their way to being more expensive. Their are patterns if she wants to make her own, I can point you to those too.......
This. It took a few months of gentle suggestions that purse carry really isn't the best option for dear wife for a variety of reasons. Finding the right holster for her was the other part of the equation. She carries her Sig P238 IWB (appendix) in "The Betty". Once in a while she can't use the holster with her outfit and then it goes in the purse.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The idea of a strap that won't break might not be the best solution, either.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”