Traffic Violation

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JGon
Posts in topic: 3

Traffic Violation

Post by JGon »

Awaiting still for my LCT to arrive...lets say I have my ltc and get stopped for a minor traffic violation. Does most people just keep both hands on steering wheel with both licences in hand? I had a plan to always keep my wallet on the dash close to the window and keep both hands on the wheel within sight. I do understand I don't need one to carry in my car but for now I choose to wait unless I'm going to the range.
JGon
USMC Dis. Vet
3x Afg Vet.
:patriot: EARNED NEVER GIVEN :txflag:

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Traffic Violation

Post by twomillenium »

lonestar144 wrote:Before LEO gets to your car, have your DL, LTC and insurance in hand with your hands on steering wheel. This will prevent any misunderstandings that might arise if you start grabbing for stuff after officer has approached the vehicle.
Huh???? Don't you think the LEO can see you fumbling around before he gets to your car? The LEO has no idea what you are doing! Place you hands on the steering wheel and proceed with the exact legal instructions the LEO will give you. I assure you the LEO will be much more appreciative of those actions instead of trying to figure out what you are doing as he approaches and whether or not he is in danger.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
JGon

Post by JGon »

twomillenium wrote:
lonestar144 wrote:Before LEO gets to your car, have your DL, LTC and insurance in hand with your hands on steering wheel. This will prevent any misunderstandings that might arise if you start grabbing for stuff after officer has approached the vehicle.
Huh???? Don't you think the LEO can see you fumbling around before he gets to your car? The LEO has no idea what you are doing! Place you hands on the steering wheel and proceed with the exact legal instructions the LEO will give you. I assure you the LEO will be much more appreciative of those actions instead of trying to figure out what you are doing as he approaches and whether or not he is in danger.

This is why I made this Topic...I have heard of different ways licence holders react to a simple traffic stop...We can all agree to use best judgment. I just want to know what processes licence holders do when being pulled over for minor traffic violations because it seems to me a lot of people react differently.
JGon
USMC Dis. Vet
3x Afg Vet.
:patriot: EARNED NEVER GIVEN :txflag:

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Post by crazy2medic »

My traffic stops I roll down the windows, place my hands on the steering wheel, when the officer makes contact, I advise him my DL and LTC are in my wallet back left back pocket, my pistol is on my left hip and proof of insurance is in the center console, my hands don't leave the steering wheel until he indicates for me to do so!
I have noted that they seem to relax a bit when you tell them you have an LTC!
At night turn on your inside lights as soon as you get your vehicle stopped
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

crazy2medic has it right.

Also, make sure you turn off the engine.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Got pulled over recently by DPS. As soon as I stopped I started to take my seatbelt off so I could get my wallet out and get both DL & LTC to show him. As I was putting them in my left hand to hold out the window I spotted the officer in my mirror watching me through the mirror with a very worried look on his face. I immediately realized he had seen me fumbling around my waist and I froze, and put both hands on the steering wheel.

My advice, don't reach for any documents until he asks for them. This officer was walking up on the left side of my vehicle before I had time to retrieve anything. If I get stopped again, I will roll the windows down, put both hands on the wheel, and wait for instructions.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I too agree with crazy2medic. In light of the Philando Castile incident and the two others mentioned just in this thread, I think it is unwise to get your ID and insurance before the officer asks for it. Police officers have a legitimate concern for their own safety and seeing someone reaching anywhere in the vehicle would rightly cause them to raise their threat level assessment.

I wouldn't take my seat belt off until the officer is there - otherwise he/she might think you weren't wearing it and get another ticket.

I have decided that if I get pulled over:
Roll down window and turn on interior lights if night and both hands on steering wheel
Don't reach for anything until instructed to do so
But first I will inform the officer that I have my LTC and am carrying and how should I proceed
Ron
NRA Member

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Yep, windows down, both hands on the steering wheel, interior light turned on if dark outside... I'll get the documents after I have told the officer where they are and he says to get them.

Was pulled over in Austin several years ago and my pistol was in my center console, along with my proof of insurance... When I told the officer that it was in the console with my firearm, he said he would just take my word for it and let's not reach for that console.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

I'm of the opinion that if you have the paper/plastic in your hand when LEO walks up, you eliminate most of the potential issues before hand. That's how I have done it every time and never had a bad experience with them finding out I am LTC. This also negates much of the reason they might feel the need to disarm you. I've never been disarmed, even by DPS back when it was said to be std procedure.

Most of the public gets wallet out ahead of time and since most people aren't LTC it's normal for them to see you rock to the L or R and come up with a wallet. Just know where it is and have it ready before they get to the door.

I keep my insurance folded up in between DL and LTC so I grab all 3 items from same slot and it takes a whole 3-4 seconds from the time I put the car in park. If you keep it in the glove box or console, you may be better served to do as instructed above.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Here's another thought: don't speed, don't weave, don't run red lights and drive safely obeying traffic laws and you shouldn't have to worry about traffic violation stops.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Here is how I handle a stop. I am right handed.
I keep my wallet in my left front pocket. I often have a firearm in the door side pocket. My carry gun is IWB and insurance papers tucked inside the visor.
When I'm first lit up. I take my wallet out of my pocket with my left hand and set it on the dash. Not a lot of shifting or moving around involved. I wait until he approaches and I can tell which side he is coming to and roll down the appropriate window. When he is at the window I reach for the wallet, and hand both the license and the LTC to him. I then pull the insurance paper to hand it to them. Most of the time they don't seem interested in the insurance papers. They usually ask if I'm carrying and where it is. I think that these days the cops aren't that concerned about CHL holders. I've never been disarmed, and one officer told me that he sees CHL holders as a backup and actually thanked me for me for carrying. I keep my hands high and make slow and deliberate movements.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

BHill

Post by BHill »

In the instances where I have been stopped in the past I would have my DL, CHL and INS in hand just after my vehicle comes to a stop. INS is on visor and both licenses are together in wallet. Wallet gets grabbed at lit up and the opened as soon as I'm stopped with hands on top of steering wheel. All windows down and dome light on with engine off. At that point I will place both hands on top left portion of my steering wheel and wait on the officer to get out of their vehicle and come up to the window. I have never had a officer that wasn't courteous or professional.
Fortunately I pay better attention to my speed these days but there are many other reasons you could be stopped so it is not a bad idea to know what you will do. Having a plan is better.
NRA Life Member

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I get stopped about once every ten years. I’ll never remember a checklist of what to do. My plan is to hold up my end of the encounter like any polite conversation. Try to see what the other person sees and respect it.

Most of all, I’m a good guy being reviewed by another good guy. That should be easy enough to telegraph through demeanor and body language.

Drive safely

stash

Post by stash »

Liberty just made me think of something. My two vehicles (car & truck) do not have auto windows. With my back, there is no way I could reach from the drivers side and roll down the passenger window if the LEO approaches from that side. I guess I would just have to talk loud to him and ask him to come around to my side of the vehicle. This has never occurred to me, but then again I have not been stopped in over 50 or so years.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Re-read Oldgringo's advice.

I haven't been stopped by an LEO in 50 years of driving.

Obey traffic laws and the chance of being stopped isn't quite, but almost nil...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”