Belton Gun & Knife Show - not posted 30.06/30.07

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
n5wmk
Posts in topic: 2

Belton Gun & Knife Show - not posted 30.06/30.07

Post by n5wmk »

Saturday, Oct 7, I went to the Belton Ham Radio gathering at the Expo! center in Belton. I didn't find anything that I needed to trade my $$ for. Concurrently, there was a Gun and Knife show next door in the Expo!, put on by the Lone Star Gun Show folks, so I decided to browse through there.

I was carry concealed like I do every day, and was prepared to forego entering if they were posted 30.06. (I didn't need to go in there badly enough to give up my right to carry). I looked closely at every entry point, and observed no 30.06/30.07 signs.
:anamatedbanana

They did have large generic signs with red lettering, stating that no loaded firearms were allowed inside (not valid to LTC holders), further stating that paying the admission fee would grant me a "revocable license" to enter into the gun show area. My guess is if I were discovered to be carrying, they could/would eject me from the event with no refund. All firearms were required to be shown to a law enforcement officer at a separate table for inspection and securing with plastic cable ties. Again, not valid to LTC.

I paid my $7 entry fee and enjoyed an hour or so browsing, comfortable with my concealed IWB handgun on my person. Again, I didn't see anything that I considered a good deal, so I left with all my money except the $7 entry fee. I did visit with a gentleman who made some really nice handcrafted leather holsters (I'm looking for a nice "BBQ holster" for my 1911). He was open carrying a commander-sized 1911, and it had no magazine, and had the plastic cable ties the LEO put on it. :banghead:

Oh, yeah - they did have a separate ammunition "corral" area, where you could purchase bulk ammo, but you had to leave the building by a separate entrance, and could not go back into the area where the guns and knives were if you had ammo with you.

All in all, a pleasant experience, and I was happy not to have to worry about improper 30.06/07 signage on city-owned property.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Belton Gun & Knife Show - not posted 30.06/30.07

Post by Tex1961 »

thanks for the info. I had planned on going to the Dallas Convention Gun show at the end of November as was wondering the same thing as you..

Topic author
n5wmk
Posts in topic: 2

Post by n5wmk »

Well, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Dallas, there's a big difference between Belton and Dallas....
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

flechero

Post by flechero »

n5wmk wrote:there's a big difference between Belton and Dallas....
Not usually- I missed this weekend's show but the rest of them have had big 06/07 signs at the door. I hope it was a decent show, the last few at Belton have been terribly weak.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Doesn't a licensed ham radio operator make you a voluntary Emergency personnel? Hould have been a GREAT time to mention HB435!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Country gun shows, although Belton isn't that "country," are nicer that way, I think. I've been to smaller gun shows and asked at the gate if concealed carry was prohibited. I got smiles and a nice welcome to the event.

Of course, one does not play show and tell with a defense weapon. It stays in the holster, barring the unthinkable.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

n5wmk wrote:Saturday, Oct 7, I went to the Belton Ham Radio gathering at the Expo! center in Belton. I didn't find anything that I needed to trade my $$ for. Concurrently, there was a Gun and Knife show next door in the Expo!, put on by the Lone Star Gun Show folks, so I decided to browse through there.

I was carry concealed like I do every day, and was prepared to forego entering if they were posted 30.06. (I didn't need to go in there badly enough to give up my right to carry). I looked closely at every entry point, and observed no 30.06/30.07 signs.
:anamatedbanana

They did have large generic signs with red lettering, stating that no loaded firearms were allowed inside (not valid to LTC holders), further stating that paying the admission fee would grant me a "revocable license" to enter into the gun show area. My guess is if I were discovered to be carrying, they could/would eject me from the event with no refund. All firearms were required to be shown to a law enforcement officer at a separate table for inspection and securing with plastic cable ties. Again, not valid to LTC.

I paid my $7 entry fee and enjoyed an hour or so browsing, comfortable with my concealed IWB handgun on my person. Again, I didn't see anything that I considered a good deal, so I left with all my money except the $7 entry fee. I did visit with a gentleman who made some really nice handcrafted leather holsters (I'm looking for a nice "BBQ holster" for my 1911). He was open carrying a commander-sized 1911, and it had no magazine, and had the plastic cable ties the LEO put on it. :banghead:

Oh, yeah - they did have a separate ammunition "corral" area, where you could purchase bulk ammo, but you had to leave the building by a separate entrance, and could not go back into the area where the guns and knives were if you had ammo with you.

All in all, a pleasant experience, and I was happy not to have to worry about improper 30.06/07 signage on city-owned property.
If it was government owned property, then a 30.06 sign would also have not been applicable to LTC holders (or anyone else), so really the exact same as the signs they did have posted. IANAL, but I wonder if they could really kick you out for any reason and keep your $7. After all, if they can kick you out because you are legally carrying a handgun, they also could kick you out for legally wearing pants, or shoes. Seems like something that wouldn't hold up. Then again, it's $7, so I'm guessing very, very few people would try to fight for a refund.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”