Really Ticked Off

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Really Ticked Off

Post by treadlightly »

"Really ticked off" sounded sort of a dull note to me. If I were denied my license, I would rise to the charge, present a credible counterargument, seek corrective action, or any of a number of more positive things than anger.

I would probably be critical of any willful mistakes on the part of the State, but that would be in the course of joining the battle for my rights, not out of malicious emotion on my part.

Anger makes your sight picture jump around, anyway, whether aiming a handgun or a word processor in self-defense.

Of the two, I greatly prefer my word processor, 'course, I practice with my handguns, too. ;-)

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

parabelum wrote:OP,

I hope you get your issue resolved.

“The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus,
“Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?”
They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”
‭‭John‬ ‭8:3-7‬

Be careful infecting the discussion with extreme prejudice, details we do not know, nor will we on this public forum I suppose.

All I can say is that catching a dv is not as difficult as one thinks, nor does there have to exist notable injury etc. for dv to apply.

One day it could be you.
Do you support people like Devin Kelley being able to pass NICS and buy a gun at Academy? Was it wrong for DPS to deny his LTC application even though he passed NICS and could buy guns at Academy?
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

spectre wrote:

“The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus,
“Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?”
They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”

Be careful infecting the discussion with extreme prejudice, details we do not know, nor will we on this public forum I suppose.

All I can say is that catching a dv is not as difficult as one thinks, nor does there have to exist notable injury etc. for dv to apply.

One day it could be you.
Do you support people like Devin Kelley being able to pass NICS and buy a gun at Academy? Was it wrong for DPS to deny his LTC application even though he passed NICS and could buy guns at Academy?
What's your point? The only reason the killer was able to buy the gun and passed the check was because of an error or lack of reporting into the NICS system.

Don't conflate two completely different situations.

infoman
Posts in topic: 11

Post by infoman »

What ever happened with this appeal? I’d be shocked if Bryan007 wins, but still curious.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

spectre wrote:

One day it could be you.
Really? You sound like a leftist prog with that little conversational interlude.

You’re mixing apples and oranges bud, mr. Perfect.

infoman

Post by infoman »

There seems to be some confusion on this forum regarding family violence assaults. Any misdemeanor (A,B or C) Assault where a family member is the victim is permanently disqualified. Both from having an LTC & federally prohibited from purchasing. This includes “Assault by Contact” or “Simple Assault” (Misdemeanor C’s). Family is: Spouse, child, romantic cohabitation, shared children, etc. Family is NOT siblings, cousins, aunts/uncles, & even parents. (in other words, an 18 year old man can beat up his mom & it’s not considered family violenc for NICS/DPS purposed.) The charge doesn’t have to specifically state “Domestic Violence”, it just has to have the elements of this. In other words any physical contact against family member (example:wife) that results in a Misdemeanor assault conviction. (example: Assault by Contact or Simple Assault). Please read this link below carefully & thoroughly: https://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-r ... -convicted

This is a subject I’m passionate about, but I also want to end any confusion, false rumors, etc in the LTC world. I love this forum for the excellent info it provides & Mr Cotton does a great job. No offense to the OP but he shouldn’t win his appeal based on the facts.

infoman

Post by infoman »

assaults
assaults

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

parabelum wrote:
spectre wrote:

One day it could be you.
Really? You sound like a leftist prog with that little conversational interlude.

Both the OP and Devin Kelley were found guilty of assaulting their wife. Neither had a felony record for the DV assault.

Should they have been able to buy guns at Academy?

Should they have been eligible for a Texas LTC?

Simple questions. Trying to dodge the questions by accusing me of being leftist is a smokescreen. Maybe even a personal attack. But you still haven't answered the questions and I think everybody knows why.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

spectre wrote:
parabelum wrote:
spectre wrote:

One day it could be you.

Both the OP and Devin Kelley were found guilty of assaulting their wife. Neither had a felony record for the DV assault.

Simple questions. Trying to dodge the questions by accusing me of being leftist is a smokescreen. Maybe even a personal attack. But you still haven't answered the questions and I think everybody knows why.
No because of the nature and violence of Kelley’s offense it never should have been charged as a misdemeanor by the Air Force. It should have been charged as a felony. OP never said nature of offense. It sounded to me like he was federally qualified but Texas was saying he was prohibited. If he was able to buy a gun and his offense had been reported in NCIC for NICS checks, then he should have gotten the license. Otherwise he was committing a felony by taking the class since he would have had to use a gun to qualify.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Sounds like the answer to both questions is “no.”

I have no problem with the concept that not everyone deserves access to firearms. I have great disagreement with prohibition or denial of rights without due process.

infoman

Post by infoman »

I guess no one reads my posts nor read my link. Misdemaenor assaults are permanently disqualying. (when straight convictions & against a family member) It doesn’t have to be a “Felony”

flechero

Post by flechero »

spectre wrote: Both the OP and Devin Kelley were found guilty of assaulting their wife. Neither had a felony record for the DV assault.

Let me jump in and point out a couple of glaring differences....

One has a long (documented) history of violent threats against his spouse and his superior officers.
One was involuntarily committed to a mental institution.
One escaped from said mental hospital and was hunted down by authorities, rearrested and then sent back. (those LEO's also failed to report to NCIC)
One was stopped bringing guns onto a military base to carry out death threats on superiors.
One was dishonorably discharged for those and other actions.
One illegally purchased guns and lied on the forms to do so
One...... surely you get the point by now. One is a clear cut case of a failed system.

On the other hand, we have an OP who may or may not be eligible depending on some specifics that we don't have- and ultimately will probably take a judge to rule on some gray areas.

Is there a difference? At least a half dozen very serious items... That's pretty substantial in my view.
:tiphat:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”