Carry by Bar Employee

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 2

Carry by Bar Employee

Post by locke_n_load »

Giving a class the other day, and someone said they worked in a bar and asked if they could carry there once they got their license.

Now in 46.15:
(b) Section 46.02 (carry is prohibited in all places other than your premises, or car/boat under your control) does not apply to a person who:
(7) holds an alcoholic beverage permit or license or is an employee of a holder of an alcoholic beverage permit or license if the person is supervising the operation of the permitted or licensed premises;
italics=my words

So with that, I believe that carry in the bar if you are an employee and your manager is ok with carrying, that you don't need a license to carry there. And since you don't need a license to carry there, once you had your license, you would not be breaking 46.035, carrying in a 51% establishment because you are not carrying under the authority of your license.

Just double checking myself here.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry by Bar Employee

Post by Keith B »

locke_n_load wrote:Giving a class the other day, and someone said they worked in a bar and asked if they could carry there once they got their license.

Now in 46.15:
(b) Section 46.02 (carry is prohibited in all places other than your premises, or car/boat under your control) does not apply to a person who:
(7) holds an alcoholic beverage permit or license or is an employee of a holder of an alcoholic beverage permit or license if the person is supervising the operation of the permitted or licensed premises;
italics=my words

So with that, I believe that carry in the bar if you are an employee and your manager is ok with carrying, that you don't need a license to carry there. And since you don't need a license to carry there, once you had your license, you would not be breaking 46.035, carrying in a 51% establishment because you are not carrying under the authority of your license.

There is a caveat for the employee, see the red letters in the statute. The manager can't give permission, the employee must meet the criteria of the statute to carry. So, a waitress, for example, who is just waiting tables and not supervising the operation, couldn't carry.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Keith B wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:Giving a class the other day, and someone said they worked in a bar and asked if they could carry there once they got their license.

Now in 46.15:
italics=my words

There is a caveat for the employee, see the red letters in the statute. The manager can't give permission, the employee must meet the criteria of the statute to carry. So, a waitress, for example, who is just waiting tables and not supervising the operation, couldn't carry.
Having employed a number of bar waitresses in a previous career, I can testify that some always think they're 'supervising the operation'. :roll:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 2

Post by locke_n_load »

Keith B wrote:

Now in 46.15:
italics=my words

So if he works the bar, unless he is a supervisor, carry is a no-go?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

locke_n_load wrote:
Keith B wrote:

Now in 46.15:
italics=my words

So if he works the bar, unless he is a supervisor, carry is a no-go?
It's the same for a customer, even a designated driver.
"hic sunt dracones"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”