Leaving gun in car?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Cheapsk8
Posts in topic: 2

Leaving gun in car?

Post by Cheapsk8 »

Don't know if this has been discussed before but searching at least the terms I used I did not find it.

Let say I need to go to a place I am not allowed to carry, sons school for an example. I know I need to leave my gun in the car.

With modern semi automatics being so easy to field strip, could you unload and remove the slide and take the slide in you with you leaving the rest of the " broken gun" in the car?

If someone were to break into the car they would be less likely to take only part of a gun or if they did would probably find it more trouble than it is worth to order and buy replacement parts.

In life as in baseball, it is the number of time you reach home safely that count.
In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Leaving gun in car?

Post by Tex1961 »

While technically I suppose you could do that but why go through all that trouble.. and possible ND field stripping your firearm in your vehicle or if someone walks by and sees you with a handgun doing something to it would most likely call the police on you... Just buy a lockbox that comes with a cable to secure it in your vehicle. I got a double set, keyed the same on Amazon for around $60.00. Very secure and easy to use.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Buy an attachable lock box. Leave entire pistol in it.

They're inexpensive and will thwart all but the most determined...

Stash Lock Box under your drivers side seat and use the wire rope it comes with to attach to metal frame of seat.

Simple, quick, cheap.

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

:iagree:
NRA Life Member

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Join the NRA, activate the free firearms insurance, lock the firearm in your car and don’t worry about it. A lock box with a cable would add additional protection and personally I would not be Field stripping a firearm in my vehicle every time I cannot carry it where I’m going.

Topic author
Cheapsk8

Post by Cheapsk8 »

Makes sense. I am in process of getting my LTC, been procrastinating for way to long on this, filled out app and completed fingerprints last weekend and completed LTC course Sunday. Now am waiting..

just sort of thinking out loud. Actually already have a lockbox and cable. I guess I am just over thinking things.
In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Cheapsk8 wrote:Makes sense. I am in process of getting my LTC, been procrastinating for way to long on this, filled out app and completed fingerprints last weekend and completed LTC course Sunday. Now am waiting..

just sort of thinking out loud. Actually already have a lockbox and cable. I guess I am just over thinking things.
I have found that over thinking is common in the beginning and never really goes away. ;-)

I think the take-away here is that minimizing manipulating the pistol is a good thing. For example, I carry my S&W M&P Mod 2.0, 9mm, 5 inch, openly in a Safariland ALS holster and use Safariland's Quick Lock System to easily attach and remove the holstered pistol to and from my belt. The only times I am manipulating the pistol are shooting, cleaning, and training. Otherwise, it lives in its holster.

When I need to go somewhere that I cannot carry, I remove the holstered pistol and secure it in a locke location in my car. At home, when I want to sit somewhere that SWMBO says I can't while wearing my pistol, I remove the holstered pistol and place it nearby.

Another adavantage of the Safariland ALS holster is that, after removing the holstered pistol from my belt, I can still easily draw one-handed.

Works for me. You will find what works for you. I encourage you to keep it simple, minimize handling of your pistol, and strive to handle it the same way all of the time. Paul Gomez mentions this concept in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iah1QOxLkY
gomez8136
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Not worth the risk. The odds of a negligent discharge unholstering and clearing while seated in your vehicle (where you then risk shooting your junk or your leg or thru the fuel lines) plus having some yahoo call the police because to them part of a gun is like a full gun exponentially outweighs the risk of theft.

The downside to the above is obvious and not good. The downside to theft is you make a call to report it stolen and perhaps answer a few questions with ATF agent, then file insurance claim and get a new gun. If you are like the rest of us, you have plenty more to carry.

Just my two cents, and not legal advice. Hope it helps ...

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

mrvmax wrote:Join the NRA, activate the free firearms insurance, lock the firearm in your car and don’t worry about it. A lock box with a cable would add additional protection and personally I would not be Field stripping a firearm in my vehicle every time I cannot carry it where I’m going.

Not sure about the NRA part - and there are other insurance companies out there, including your vehicle's insurance will cover stolen firearms.

K9Texas

Post by K9Texas »

Keep it simple, pop the trunk, throw in it and be done with it. If it is an SUV, keep an emergency blanket in the very back and stick it in the blanket. When I go to the VA hospital ( A lot) that is what I do and I have never had any issues,......Hope the info helps.
:patriot: God Bless These United States of America :patriot:

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

montgomery wrote:
mrvmax wrote:Join the NRA, activate the free firearms insurance, lock the firearm in your car and don’t worry about it. A lock box with a cable would add additional protection and personally I would not be Field stripping a firearm in my vehicle every time I cannot carry it where I’m going.

Not sure about the NRA part - and there are other insurance companies out there, including your vehicle's insurance will cover stolen firearms.
You may not be sure about the NRA part but I am - I’m an NRA recruiter. There is $2500 in free firearms insurance with membership but you need to activate it.
https://mynrainsurance.com/insurance-[abbreviated profanity deleted] ... re-digital

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

K9Texas wrote:Keep it simple, pop the trunk, throw in it and be done with it. If it is an SUV, keep an emergency blanket in the very back and stick it in the blanket. When I go to the VA hospital ( A lot) that is what I do and I have never had any issues,......Hope the info helps.
I disagree on this one.

An alert thief may be watching a parking lot to see if you stow anything in your trunk before going inside. More than one laptop has been stolen from restaurant parking lots because people put briefcases and/or backpacks in the trunk before walking in for lunch.

If you're going to stow ANYTHING in a car, do so before pulling into the lot. Don't be obvious about tucking anything under the seat, in the backseat, or in the trunk.

Countless references can be found to attest to this online. Here is just one: http://howweroll.trimet.org/2016/02/03/ ... break-ins/
Stow Before You Go
If you absolutely have to leave items in the car, stow them in the trunk, under the cargo cover or in the console before you go. Even tuck that charger away before you reach your destination. You never know who might be watching what you’re doing after you park.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Vol Texan wrote:
K9Texas wrote:Keep it simple, pop the trunk, throw in it and be done with it. If it is an SUV, keep an emergency blanket in the very back and stick it in the blanket. When I go to the VA hospital ( A lot) that is what I do and I have never had any issues,......Hope the info helps.
I disagree on this one.

An alert thief may be watching a parking lot to see if you stow anything in your trunk before going inside. More than one laptop has been stolen from restaurant parking lots because people put briefcases and/or backpacks in the trunk before walking in for lunch.

If you're going to stow ANYTHING in a car, do so before pulling into the lot. Don't be obvious about tucking anything under the seat, in the backseat, or in the trunk.

Countless references can be found to attest to this online. Here is just one: http://howweroll.trimet.org/2016/02/03/ ... break-ins/
Stow Before You Go
If you absolutely have to leave items in the car, stow them in the trunk, under the cargo cover or in the console before you go. Even tuck that charger away before you reach your destination. You never know who might be watching what you’re doing after you park.
:iagree: There are some reports that say that thieves watch people getting out of their cars and storing things. That is why I like the cable attached portable safe that I can handle from the driver's seat. There is no way for a thief to know exactly what I'm doing - I could be messing with my phone in my lap. If I get out of the car to go to the trunk, there is probably no question that I'm storing something. With anything but the gun, I try to put stuff into the trunk any place but where I'm going to leave the car. I have even made interim stops to be able to move stuff from the passenger compartment to the trunk so that I don't have to do it at the final destination. You can also have the reverse problem - coming out of a bank with an envelope or a bag, driving the car somewhere else and parking it. Thieves have been known to follow people from banks and break into their cars at the next stop.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

If the theory is that a thief won't bother with part of a gun......I wouldn't count on that. If it IS true the simply putting the slide in a different hidden place in the car.

Or put it in a locked attached box.

Tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I put console vaults in all of my vehicles. Best solution I have come up with for this problem.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”