Why do we need 30.06/7?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Yes signs?

Go TX! 30.06/7 Is necessary to protect the rights of property owners.
23%
Go CO! Only metal detectors should prevent concealed carry.
33%
Go UK! Gunpowder bad. Compressed air good.
No votes
Why doesn't Colorado put shredded BBQ on a potato?
44%

Total votes: 39

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Why do we need 30.06/7?

Post by Liberty »

jmra wrote: How quickly we forget that just a few years ago companies and people were threatening to leave the state of CO over anti gun legislation being passed.
They didn't just threaten to move, Magpul actually did, To Austin!
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 5

Post by pbwalker »

Liberty wrote:
jmra wrote: How quickly we forget that just a few years ago companies and people were threatening to leave the state of CO over anti gun legislation being passed.
Exactly! Corp HQ to Austin, shipping and distribution to Cheyenne, WY.

And frankly, the +15 mag ban is a joke. I can go to my LGS and buy them today. We have no 06/07 signs, no 51% signs, and can pretty much carry anywhere except for federal locations, inside schools, or any place that has metal detectors / security screening. Truth be told, it isn't bad for gun owners here. There's a lot less to worry about when carrying.

(I know Denver has some additional restrictions, but I don't live there so it doesn't affect me.)
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

pbwalker wrote:
Liberty wrote:

And frankly, the +15 mag ban is a joke. I can go to my LGS and buy them today. We have no 06/07 signs, no 51% signs, and can pretty much carry anywhere except for federal locations, inside schools, or any place that has metal detectors / security screening. Truth be told, it isn't bad for gun owners here. There's a lot less to worry about when carrying.

(I know Denver has some additional restrictions, but I don't live there so it doesn't affect me.)
Preemption is a major issue. If cities are allowed to make more restrictive gun laws than the state then things become much more complicated and difficult to comply with for both residents and travelers.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

jmra wrote:
pbwalker wrote:
Liberty wrote:

Preemption is a major issue. If cities are allowed to make more restrictive gun laws than the state then things become much more complicated and difficult to comply with for both residents and travelers.

Agreed! I believe Denver was (and 'will be') the only one. But with that said, there's a precedent. If it starts to go down south here (gun laws & restrictions), I'm moving 45 minutes north to Wyoming. :lol:

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RogueUSMC »

srothstein wrote:
OlBill wrote:Are we not a protected class by virtue of the 2nd Amendment?
I cannot resist pointing out that we are, from one point of view, the best protected class. Unfortunately, humor aside, we are not a protected class under the law. It is not the constitution that makes the protected classes, and there is no penalty provided for violating the constitution. It is the laws passed to implement the protections of the constitution that both define the protected classes and provide for punishment. So far, none of the civil rights laws, beginning with the Civil Rights Act of 1866 (yes, 18), mention being armed. I believe we are slowly working on that and making progress towards it, but we are not there yet.

It will be a long, tough fight to get to the point where being armed is not only considered a right, but also a duty. The good news is that I see us making steady progress towards it. Not fast, but steady progress. At least in Texas, it seems to be getting easier to fight off the attacks on gun rights, even if we do not make any gains in the field. This is the type of steady progress that will win in the long run. Courts are also beginning to rule our way more, though there are still a lot of courts where this isn't true yet (9th Circuit).

More progress to go, but we are getting there slowly.
It can be argued that problems arise from there being any 'protected classes' at all...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

skeathley wrote:When I was a kid, merchants were allowed to refuse to do business with anyone they chose. There was probably a racial element to that, so after the Civil Rights law passed about 1965, that was no longer allowed.

I often wonder why it is not legal to ban someone from your business because they are asian, or black, or whatever, but it is legal to ban them because they are legally carrying a weapon.

As I understand it, if a business is open to the public, they have to accommodate ALL the public. So why are businesses allowed to discriminate against a group of people who have almost no history of being a danger to the public?

:banghead:
A business owner can still refuse to serve someone, they just have to make sure it isn't for race, religion, of sexual whatever.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Liberty wrote:
Yes but isn't Austin just a little slice of Colorado in the Lone Star State? :evil2:
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

ninjabread wrote:
Liberty wrote:
Yes but isn't Austin just a little slice of Colorado in the Lone Star State? :evil2:
Austin is the Berkeley of TX ;-)

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

According to Guns and Ammo, Colorado doesn't rank anywhere close to Texas in overall gun friendliness.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/second-amend ... damendment
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:According to Guns and Ammo, Colorado doesn't rank anywhere close to Texas in overall gun friendliness.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/second-amend ... damendment
That’s the point I was trying to make. Also interesting to note that if you add up the total population of the 7 states ahead of TX on that list their combined population is 10 million less than Texas. If you look at states that have very large metroplexs like DFW and Houston which tend to be very liberal, none of them come anywhere close to having it as good as we do.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

rotor wrote:I guess we are for now stuck with 30.06/07 laws as a compromise to get concealed carry through the legislature. My personal feeling is that a business open to the public should not be able to post 30.06 but could post 30.07 as open carry might upset other patrons. But nobody cares about my opinion.
Hopefully there is a point where we eliminate at least 30.06 completely. Not so sure about 30.07. If I walked into a store and a bunch of people had swastikas tattooed on their foreheads I would be upset but it doesn't mean management would ask the Nazi's to leave even though they upset me. Now if those swastikas were concealed I wouldn't even know about it. I believe in private property rights but since there are so many ridiculous infringements on them now by "protected" classes why LTC holders are picked on is beyond me.
In getting concealed carry through there were compromises I am sure. It may take awhile but we need to work on the legislators to get things changed.
I'm with you on this one. I would like to see 30.06 go away...concealed is concealed, right? As it stands right now, how can a business actually stop anyone who is illegally carrying a concealed handgun? The reality is that they cannot; 30.06 signs only stop the law-abiding, the business has no way to differentiate between who is carrying legally or illegally. (And the rest of this is just in general, not to you rotor), I understand the idea about property rights, but as many have pointed out, those laws are abrogated in large measure by the Federal government already, making it an issue of "some are more equal than others". Plus, I make a distinction between truly private property, and property open to the general public. The Lockheed plant in Fort Worth has security AT THE GATE and you don't enter there if you don't have specific business there. Walmart, well anyone can just wander into the place, even if they never purchase a thing.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

pbwalker wrote:
ninjabread wrote:
Liberty wrote:
Can we agree that Austin isn't really Texas?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

ninjabread wrote:
pbwalker wrote:
ninjabread wrote:
Liberty wrote:
I do not agree and would never surrender the Capital.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Ans: To annoy the CHLer community
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Beiruty wrote:
ninjabread wrote:
pbwalker wrote:
ninjabread wrote:
Liberty wrote:
I do not agree and would never surrender the Capital.
True, but every state has a loony bin. Texas's just happens to be the capital. :lol:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”