Getting my CHL back after DWI Suspension

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dwhale5150
Posts in topic: 27

Getting my CHL back after DWI Suspension

Post by Dwhale5150 »

I am having trouble finding out what I will have to do to get my CHL back after having lost it due to a DWI (almost) 5 years ago.

Can anyone tell me or direct me to the right place to read what I will need to do to get my CHL back? I know in my heart that the answer is probably that I will have to start completely over, taking the course and recertifying with my handgun however, I'm hoping someone will tell me it will be easier that all that...maybe just re-certify and apply???

My thought is, if I must retake the whole course etc...that maybe I could go ahead and take the course and be completely ready for the day to come to send in the application etc.

Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.

Doug.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Getting my CHL back after DWI Suspension

Post by Pawpaw »

You're going to have to completely start over. As an added attraction, you need to submit the final disposition for your offense.

The good news is that the price has gone down to $40.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WTR »

I don't want anyone you has had the lack of judgement to have committed a felony or receive a DUI to process a firearm. How am I assured they won't have another moment when the can't behave responsibly?

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I don't want anyone you has had the lack of judgement to have committed a felony or receive a DUI to process a firearm. How am I assured they won't have another moment when the can't behave responsibly?

ldj1002
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ldj1002 »

WTR wrote:I don't want anyone you has had the lack of judgement to have committed a felony or receive a DUI to process a firearm. How am I assured they won't have another moment when the can't behave responsibly?
You won't know when he might have that moment. If he does and decides to do something stupid with a gun he will do it with or without a CHL, so why keep him from getting it.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

ldj1002 wrote:
WTR wrote:I don't want anyone you has had the lack of judgement to have committed a felony or receive a DUI to process a firearm. How am I assured they won't have another moment when the can't behave responsibly?
You won't know when he might have that moment. If he does and decides to do something stupid with a gun he will do it with or without a CHL, so why keep him from getting it.
If he is not in his car he may not have a gun handy on his person. ( if he is not a criminal and carrying illegally.)

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I am not one to judge, and in my opinion, one DWI arrest, should not be a disqualifyer for a new CHL. The OP has evidently not committed the same offense for the past 5 years, and has paid his debt to society. He will continue to pay in higher insurance premiums, and a lower number of employment opportunities. I have no qualms with him getting a new CHL, and he simply asked about the process for doing so.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

allisji
Posts in topic: 3

Post by allisji »

Jusme wrote:

I am not one to judge, and in my opinion, one DWI arrest, should not be a disqualifyer for a new CHL. The OP has evidently not committed the same offense for the past 5 years, and has paid his debt to society. He will continue to pay in higher insurance premiums, and a lower number of employment opportunities. I have no qualms with him getting a new CHL, and he simply asked about the process for doing so.
:iagree:

While a DUI is a serious offense, there are lots of people who pay the price and learn from their mistakes. There were times when I was younger and before I was licensed to carry, when I acted irresponsibly by driving while intoxicated. I was never pulled over, thank God, and I realized how stupid it was and learned from that experience. I'm glad that I didn't end up in a situation where I was disqualified from owning a firearm. Now I am married, with two kids, two mortgages, a car note, and whole lotta responsibility that I didn't have before and I cherish my right to protect my family and property.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Let me start by saying I've never had a DUI/DWI. However, there are those who get one for downing a bunch of drinks and whipping their car down the road, fully a menace to society. Then there are those who had a couple too many, tried to sleep it off in the car, had the keys on them, and were arrested for having the ability to operate the vehicle, even though they didn't. I've known people who got busted for both. The former most likely presents a much greater hazard than the latter. Just an observation.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

ldj1002 wrote: If he does and decides to do something stupid with a gun he will do it with or without a CHL, so why keep him from getting it.
Because if anybody (not necessarily the OP) does something stupid with a CHL, it figuratively and literally (in the DPS convictions data) reflects badly on the rest of us.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
ldj1002 wrote: If he does and decides to do something stupid with a gun he will do it with or without a CHL, so why keep him from getting it.
Because if anybody (not necessarily the OP) does something stupid with a CHL, it figuratively and literally (in the DPS convictions data) reflects badly on the rest of us.
Which is why we shouldn’t need a license to carry. If someone does something stupid and speeds you want them to lose their license to carry? How about watering their lawn on the wrong day? If you can get your drivers license back after a DWI in less than 5 years, what the heck does a LTC matter. Since almost everything in a felony these days and you probably commit several per day without knowing it, I don’t think any misdemeanor should bar gun ownership, carry, or purchase.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

OP has one and only one post. Is it just me or does there seem to be more one posters with questions like this lately?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

I think it's five years for a misdemeanor plus an extra two years if they revoked it.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I've had two fiends killed by a DUI drivers. Another guy I knew kill himself and a family of seven while driving drunk. Even if no license is required, I would not allow a person to legally carry if they were found guilty to a DUI or even plead one down. Their judgement obviously can't be trusted .

thenick_ttu

Post by thenick_ttu »

Ah yes. I see you are taking a page right out of the anti-gunner's playbook. "I don't think you should have a gun. How do I know you aren't just going to snap one day and go on a murderous rampage?"

I assume OP has paid his debt to society and not had any similar problems with the law in the last 5 years. Just because of the possibility that he might do something irresponsible, he shouldn't be allowed to get his CHL back?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”