Getting my CHL back after DWI Suspension

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Getting my CHL back after DWI Suspension

Post by flechero »

WTR wrote:I don't want anyone you has had the lack of judgement to have committed a felony or receive a DUI to process a firearm. How am I assured they won't have another moment when the can't behave responsibly?
You are no more guaranteed that, than I am guaranteed you'll never screw up. Or anyone else here.

Funny post on this topic- was it voice text or alcohol? :lol:

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WTR »

flechero wrote:
WTR wrote:I don't want anyone you has had the lack of judgement to have committed a felony or receive a DUI to process a firearm. How am I assured they won't have another moment when the can't behave responsibly?
You are no more guaranteed that, than I am guaranteed you'll never screw up. Or anyone else here.

Will say big thumbs,in a hurry . poor at grammar and I'm sure the grammar police understood the meaning.... Nothing funny about drunk driving.

allisji
Posts in topic: 3

Post by allisji »

ScottDLS wrote:Since almost everything in a felony these days and you probably commit several per day without knowing it.
:lol::

I would think that misdemeanor family violence might be a good candidate for a temporary reprieve from firearm possession. If the crime is bad enough that it deserves "permanent" disqualification then it should be a felony imo.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Acronym Esq
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Acronym Esq »

Dwhale5150 wrote:I am having trouble finding out what I will have to do to get my CHL back after having lost it due to a DWI (almost) 5 years ago.

Can anyone tell me or direct me to the right place to read what I will need to do to get my CHL back? I know in my heart that the answer is probably that I will have to start completely over, taking the course and recertifying with my handgun however, I'm hoping someone will tell me it will be easier that all that...maybe just re-certify and apply???
Remember what you paid for free advice from anonymous, internet, gun fanboys. IANYL. Eh eh. Resources to find your own answer: I looked at government code 411.186 (revocation), 411.187 (suspension), 411.172 (eligibility). I think suspension means it is not valid for a period of time. If it's suspended, it will automatically go back to it's validity (subject to applicable expiration) at the time the suspension is up. I think revocation means it's gone. If it's revoked, you gotta get a new one with a whole new application.
Nice thread jack. I can 2nd chances go along with for people who are drive too drunk to and to type too drunk.
BBYC wrote:I think it's five years for a misdemeanor plus an extra two years if they revoked it.
I can't find the 2 year addition provision. Cite?

Acronym 11/15/2017 12:55 PM

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lynyrd »

Troll?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The OP can do just as much damage, if not more, with their right to vote, right to assembly, and right to free speech, as they can do with their right to keep and bear arms. If we are going to take away any of these rights permanently because they exhibited a lack of good judgment in the past, then we should take away all of them. Probably should also take away the right to reproduce while we are at it.

Or we could have a system where you are punished for a lapse of judgment that hurts others or has a strong potential to hurt others. That punishment should involve the temporary loss of some of your God given rights. I think I like that system better.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Lynyrd wrote:Troll?
:iagree:
There's been a lot of questionable first posts lately.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lynyrd »

gtolbert09 wrote:
:iagree:
There's been a lot of questionable first posts lately.
We all know that the anti gun groups troll this forum. If they can pose a question and get responses that can be quoted out of context, or responses that are ill advised, they will use those. Heck my first month on this forum I was quoted in a liberal rag site and my words were taken completely out of context.

Be careful folks. Don't give them any dirt.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
Dwhale5150
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Dwhale5150 »

Gtolbert09 & Lynard...No troll here. Just a guy trying to get a question answered.

Acronym Esq...Thank you for the information. That's exactly what I needed.

To all of you who felt like you needed to post a negative comment or offer your opinion on my situation...
I know that by asking my question in an open forum such as this, that I set myself up for the ignorant comments but I didn't ask for your opinion and honestly, I don't care what you think. But just so you know, I was working at my deer lease, had a few beers (as I am sure MANY of you have done) and got hungry. I got in my truck and drove 5 miles in to town and got pulled over in a speed trap for doing 5 miles an hour over the speed limit when the speed limit dropped as I was pulling in to town. I was JUST over the legal limit...had I thought I was impaired at all...I WOULDN'T have been driving, much less would I have agreed to the breathalyzer, but I did. Matter of fact, I was so UN-impaired, that the older DPS officer on the scene wanted to just follow me back to deer camp and make me stay there, but the young and cocky officer pushed to take me in. The older DPS officer actually apologized to me as he was leaving me at the jail.

I was 43 years old. Had NEVER been in trouble with the law and have not had any problems since this. Furthermore, I had NO WEAPONS IN THE VEHICLE, I had purposely left them locked up at the cabin. The only reason I lost my CHL was because the DWI is a Class B Misdemeanor...NOT BECAUSE I DID ANYTHING UNSAFE or IRRESPONSIBLE with my guns.

I would hate to be your kids...if you really feel that way about a 2nd chance.

Anyways, Thanks again to you guys who gave some useful information. That's all I was looking for.

And by the way...you guys who are so paranoid about a new guy on the scene asking a question...YALL are the ones I worry about. But you guys just keep up the good work of "being careful how you answer a fella's question"...you're right...there's no doubt in my mind, YOU are SO important that the gun grabbers are watching YOU to see if you say anything they can use to take our weapons. They're watchin' YOU...BAH!!HAHAHA!!

God Bless you guys and deer season is here...Go out and getcha one (or three!)

Topic author
Dwhale5150

Post by Dwhale5150 »

flechero wrote:

Last edited by Dwhale5150 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Dwhale5150

Post by Dwhale5150 »

Acronym Esq wrote:
Dwhale5150 wrote:I am having trouble finding out what I will have to do to get my CHL back after having lost it due to a DWI (almost) 5 years ago.

Can anyone tell me or direct me to the right place to read what I will need to do to get my CHL back? I know in my heart that the answer is probably that I will have to start completely over, taking the course and recertifying with my handgun however, I'm hoping someone will tell me it will be easier that all that...maybe just re-certify and apply???
Remember what you paid for free advice from anonymous, internet, gun fanboys. IANYL. Eh eh. Resources to find your own answer: I looked at government code 411.186 (revocation), 411.187 (suspension), 411.172 (eligibility). I think suspension means it is not valid for a period of time. If it's suspended, it will automatically go back to it's validity (subject to applicable expiration) at the time the suspension is up. I think revocation means it's gone. If it's revoked, you gotta get a new one with a whole new application.
Nice thread jack. I can 2nd chances go along with for people who are drive too drunk to and to type too drunk.
BBYC wrote:I think it's five years for a misdemeanor plus an extra two years if they revoked it.
I can't find the 2 year addition provision. Cite?

Acronym 11/15/2017 12:55 PM

Thank you for the info.

I was hoping that since it was suspended that as you said, it would automatically go back to it's validity...however I would have renewed last year so it would now be expired. Was hoping I could just pay to renew and move on with life as it was BEFORE the biggest screw up of my life happened!!

Take care Sir...God Bless.

Topic author
Dwhale5150

Post by Dwhale5150 »

Pawpaw wrote:You're going to have to completely start over. As an added attraction, you need to submit the final disposition for your offense.

The good news is that the price has gone down to $40.
Thank you for your response. I really can't believe some of the crap these guys have said.

So, do you know, is the "final disposition" something I have to get from the county courthouse? I don't even know what that is. (Guess that makes me stupid to some of these guys also...hahaha)

Topic author
Dwhale5150

Post by Dwhale5150 »

Dwhale5150 wrote:
flechero wrote:

WTR...You Sir...ARE A FRIGGIN' JOKE. Take Care and...don't make a mistake sir, you might not get a second chance!!!

Flechero - Thank you for your support. I made a mistake in judgement. I am not a habitual criminal. 43 years and NEVER a run in with the law.

Topic author
Dwhale5150

Post by Dwhale5150 »

Seriously? :roll:

Topic author
Dwhale5150

Post by Dwhale5150 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:The OP can do just as much damage, if not more, with their right to vote, right to assembly, and right to free speech, as they can do with their right to keep and bear arms. If we are going to take away any of these rights permanently because they exhibited a lack of good judgment in the past, then we should take away all of them. Probably should also take away the right to reproduce while we are at it.

Or we could have a system where you are punished for a lapse of judgment that hurts others or has a strong potential to hurt others. That punishment should involve the temporary loss of some of your God given rights. I think I like that system better.

Very well stated Sir. Thank you for your opinion in my defense (if it was intended that way) Take Care.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”