In your home with workmen present

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: In your home with workmen present

Post by C-dub »

I'm carrying in my home about 80% of the time. I'm always carrying when workers are present. I'd say that of that 80%, about 90% of that is open carry. The other 10% is when there are guests or workers present. I don't think I've openly carried with either of those two groups present yet. Some of the times when I'm not carrying it on me in a holster it is within 6 feet or less. Always loaded with a round in the chamber.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

I don't carry in my home but I have a number of guns within reach in different rooms of the house. I think the real problem with folks coming into your house to do work is exactly what you mentioned - that they, or more likely one of their friends, will return to your home at some later time to collect the things that the workman spotted while he was in the house. We're in a new house so we've had a lot of guys in the house over the past year or so doing post-closing resolution of little stuff - I typically stay with them, "casually" observing what they're doing and chatting with them while they work - anything that's valuable \ sensitive (financial papers, firearms, jewelry, collectables, etc.) are kept out of sight.

The folks that worry me more (and we NEVER have them in out home any more) are the housekeepers and dog sitters and such (individuals that work on their own versus for some company) that potentially have shady pasts or are paid so little to do what they do that the temptation is always there for them to "even things up" - ya can't follow them around and shadow them as they work, or they're there by themselves with free access to your entire house. IF we ever had one of these folks come into our house, I'd insist on a full background check, but many of these folks wouldn't wanna submit to that process.

Nothing in my home is irreplaceable, and I have plenty of insurance, so at best I'd be out a deductible if something was stolen or I was robbed.
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I rarely have a workman in my home as I do most of the repairs myself or have good friends who are professionals at things I can't do. When I have had a tech. In my home, I never let them interact with my dogs . I want them to remain strangers to my dogs.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

My home office shotty is mounted on the wall in a combination lock mount.

Cleaning crew see it every time..

Caveat Emptor i
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I seldom carry in my home, but when we have someone in to work on the A/C or whatnot I will. I remember one of my dogs really reacted to one worker, my dogs are corgis, they like pretty much everyone, but this one guy had my little one growling, I left the guy outside "to put the dogs up" and to get some backup named Ruger. The guy was fine, but I listen to my dogs, I trust them.
We do have a pistol next to the front door, easy to get to if needed.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

WTR wrote:I rarely have a workman in my home as I do most of the repairs myself or have good friends who are professionals at things I can't do. When I have had a tech. In my home, I never let them interact with my dogs . I want them to remain strangers to my dogs.
I typically don't carry in my house, but my P14 is usually close, if somebody actually needs to come in I'll put one of the big dogs in the rooms I don't want anybody in, their barking does sufficient warning not to go in that room, and I'll be open carrying.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”