LTC from another state

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ldj1002
Posts in topic: 2

LTC from another state

Post by ldj1002 »

In TX if you have a DL from another state you just go pay the money and get a Tx DL, no test at all. Why isn't it that way for LTC?

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LTC from another state

Post by skeathley »

Because the training and proficiency requirements are different. If they just sell you a license, you won't know the details of Texas handgun laws.

:rules:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

ldj1002 wrote:In TX if you have a DL from another state you just go pay the money and get a Tx DL, no test at all. Why isn't it that way for LTC?

Back when I got a Texas DL in 1990 I had to take the written test even though I was surrendering my New York license, which incidentally I DIDN’T have to take when I got my NY license in 1987 using my NC DL... :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

And then there's the Brady exemption we get due to having an FBI background check every 5 years. If they did what you're suggesting, we would lose that.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
ldj1002

Post by ldj1002 »

OK, but there are some states that issue a non-resident LTC that is good in TX. and even more that reciprocate with TX which with either you can conceal carry and have not taken a test on TX laws.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

ldj1002 wrote:OK, but there are some states that issue a non-resident LTC that is good in TX. and even more that reciprocate with TX which with either you can conceal carry and have not taken a test on TX laws.
What does that have to do with your original question?

1. You won't get the Brady exemption in Texas if you're carrying under one of those licenses.

2. It may be a technicality, but those other licenses don't get you an exemption to the federal gun free school zone law.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

ldj1002 wrote:In TX if you have a DL from another state you just go pay the money and get a Tx DL, no test at all. Why isn't it that way for LTC?
It ought to be. But not all states even require testing or proficiency to get a carry license. I bet all states require driver's ed or something to get a DL. It would be nice if Texas would adopt a "substantially similar" review of those states whose CCL tests were like TX and just give new resident an LTC.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”