CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Unlicensed Carry on Private Property

Post by Pawpaw »

puma guy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
puma guy wrote:I don't know where it is stated in the law, but I was under the impression I can carry my handgun while hunting on someone's property with their permission.
PC §46.15. NON-APPLICABILITY wrote:(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor’s residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;
Does a .44 Mag Ruger Super Blackhawk qualify? LOL
Do you dove hunt with it often? :biggrinjester:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Pawpaw wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
puma guy wrote:I don't know where it is stated in the law, but I was under the impression I can carry my handgun while hunting on someone's property with their permission.
PC §46.15. NON-APPLICABILITY wrote:(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor’s residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;
If he can hit a dove in the air with that, there will be 2 things that are true.
1) He is a FAR better shot than I.
2) There will be nothing left of the dove but feathers.
:fire
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Pawpaw wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Mine is for deer only:
EBB342F7-7BF0-448A-9377-1835C3822711.jpeg
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I always carry a handgun when I go fishing. Even before I got my CHL. Why? Cottonmouths! I killed on just a couple of weeks ago with my old S&W Model 28 .357.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

Pawpaw wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
:lol: No. I do have an Anschutz 1710 that the original owner used to kill a dove on the wing. Hit in the eye. True story! I can't remember his name since it's illegal to do that. I did shoot a quail with my .357 with a shot load once and that's legal. Wasn't very sporting (on the ground), but I was hungry.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: I remember one discussion in particular where the consensus seemed to be that it would be illegal for me to have a new shooter come to my house to go over gun safety rules and the operation and use of the guns we will be shooting, before we head to the range. As soon as they pick up a gun in my house, they would be violating the law since they don't have an LTC. To be legal, I would need to have them first touch the gun while we are at the firing line and they are struggling to hear anything I am saying. Definitely a case of the law being flat out stupid. But it is the law, I believe.
You do remember that thread correctly, but there was also another very important part. There must also be someone that will make the complaint to the police that the law has been broken. If it is only you and your friend, which one of you is that going to be?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Seems like two conclusions come from this.

We should not infringe the right to keep and bear without due process.

In the present flawed climate, an LTC is a handy thing.

And speaking of the present flawed and un-thawed climate, OWB under a coat, nice! :mrgreen:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

puma guy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
:lol: No. I do have an Anschutz 1710 that the original owner used to kill a dove on the wing. Hit in the eye. True story! I can't remember his name since it's illegal to do that. I did shoot a quail with my .357 with a shot load once and that's legal. Wasn't very sporting (on the ground), but I was hungry.

You don't shoot a quail on the ground here, you ain't going to eat quail.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

WTR wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:

??? That's a puzzling statement, yes I have shot quail on the ground, hunting Texas hill country if you have ever encountered the scaled quail, they would rather run than fly, I have chased them on the ground to get them to flush and they just ran faster, got tired of trying and did a pan shot, got three with one shot, took them back to camp, deep fried them to a golden brown, had quail with wild rice, most excellent!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Flightmare wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
If he can hit a dove in the air with that, there will be 2 things that are true.
1) He is a FAR better shot than I.
2) There will be nothing left of the dove but feathers.
:fire
It's just in case the bird only gets one or two pellets and the enraged dove comes at him.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

crazy2medic wrote:
WTR wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:

??? That's a puzzling statement, yes I have shot quail on the ground, hunting Texas hill country if you have ever encountered the scaled quail, they would rather run than fly, I have chased them on the ground to get them to flush and they just ran faster, got tired of trying and did a pan shot, got three with one shot, took them back to camp, deep fried them to a golden brown, had quail with wild rice, most excellent!
:iagree: I guess you had to be there. The illegal aliens coming through the ranch had broken into the camp house and stolen all the food. We killed a scrawny jack rabbit as well as a few quail by the feeders. Almost had to scrape the meat off the rabbit bones! We were there to work on deer stands and had nothing but our pistols for snakes. I've never hunted scaled quail, but I had a friend who grew up in the Valley and he said the way they hunted them was to chase them in plowed fields and shoot them when the ran over the top of the furrows. BTW we had permission to be on the property, even met the Game Warden. he asked for our id and licensees. He had seen a open cross fence gate from the road and stopped by to check things out. He helped us get unstuck from a dry sandy creek bed. He saw the quail in the bed of the truck while he was helping to push and said nothing about them. I assume because quail season was open.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

C-dub wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote: I remember one discussion in particular where the consensus seemed to be that it would be illegal for me to have a new shooter come to my house to go over gun safety rules and the operation and use of the guns we will be shooting, before we head to the range. As soon as they pick up a gun in my house, they would be violating the law since they don't have an LTC. To be legal, I would need to have them first touch the gun while we are at the firing line and they are struggling to hear anything I am saying. Definitely a case of the law being flat out stupid. But it is the law, I believe.
You do remember that thread correctly, but there was also another very important part. There must also be someone that will make the complaint to the police that the law has been broken. If it is only you and your friend, which one of you is that going to be?
You could say the same thing about making a suppressor without getting permission from the BATFED.

Or smoking marijuana. :evil2:
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

bigtek wrote:
C-dub wrote:
You could say the same thing about making a suppressor without getting permission from the BATFED.

Or smoking marijuana. :evil2:
True enough and while it is not good to condone illegal activity I, along with many others in that thread, am merely pointing out that someone would have to make the complaint. And also, IIRC, it would be important to note who at least one of those folks were.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”