Concealed loaded mags and 30.06 signs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Nano
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealed loaded mags and 30.06 signs

Post by Nano »

WTR wrote:I take all mags ( including the one from inside the pistol and the round from the chamber) with me. I don't want someone who may have broken into my truck and stolen my pistol to have a mag or any ammo to harm anyone( myself included).
Excellent idea, I never thought of that.
NRA Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oljames3 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
SIGFan43 wrote:
WTR wrote:I take all mags ( including the one from inside the pistol and the round from the chamber) with me. I don't want someone who may have broken into my truck and stolen my pistol to have a mag or any ammo to harm anyone( myself included).
You've made me think about something that never occurred to me. Thanks for the idea.
Ditto. OTH, other than the post office, I never enter a place where I can’t carry.......partly by inclination, and partly because that is how my life is ordered these days. But the next time I go to the post office, I’ll remember that idea.

Alternatively, the thought occurs to me that this requires unholstering the gun, and handling it in a way that is both safe (muzzle discipline, etc.) and discreet so that passers-by are not likely to observe what you’re doing. I suppose that if you’re in a large parking lot and parked far enough away from the building, this is maybe more easily done. Unfortunately, my experience is that suburban post office parking lots are typically fairly small, and rarely have room to part more than about 15 or so cars at a time.

But, it’s a worthy thought, and maybe next time I have to disarm, I’ll see if that would work for me.
"Alternatively, the thought occurs to me that this requires unholstering the gun..."
It only requires unholstering if you choose that it does. There are many options for easily removing your holstered pistol from which you can choose. As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.

I carry my S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland ALS holster using their Quick Lock System which allows me to easily remove the holstered pistol from my belt. See my earlier post for pictures.
I actually have one of those, as well as a couple of IWB and paddle holsters that come right off easily. It’s the part in WTR’s quote that I emphasized above that would make me more worried about safety inside the car. I’d want to be able to step out of the car and point the gun in a safe direction before jacking the round out of the chamber. But that’s just me. If he has figured out a way to do that which doesn’t put his passenger or his kneecap in jeapardy, then that’s fine.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
oljames3 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
SIGFan43 wrote:
You've made me think about something that never occurred to me. Thanks for the idea.
Ditto. OTH, other than the post office, I never enter a place where I can’t carry.......partly by inclination, and partly because that is how my life is ordered these days. But the next time I go to the post office, I’ll remember that idea.

Alternatively, the thought occurs to me that this requires unholstering the gun, and handling it in a way that is both safe (muzzle discipline, etc.) and discreet so that passers-by are not likely to observe what you’re doing. I suppose that if you’re in a large parking lot and parked far enough away from the building, this is maybe more easily done. Unfortunately, my experience is that suburban post office parking lots are typically fairly small, and rarely have room to part more than about 15 or so cars at a time.

But, it’s a worthy thought, and maybe next time I have to disarm, I’ll see if that would work for me.
"Alternatively, the thought occurs to me that this requires unholstering the gun..."
It only requires unholstering if you choose that it does. There are many options for easily removing your holstered pistol from which you can choose. As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.

I carry my S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland ALS holster using their Quick Lock System which allows me to easily remove the holstered pistol from my belt. See my earlier post for pictures.
I actually have one of those, as well as a couple of IWB and paddle holsters that come right off easily. It’s the part in WTR’s quote that I emphasized above that would make me more worried about safety inside the car. I’d want to be able to step out of the car and point the gun in a safe direction before jacking the round out of the chamber. But that’s just me. If he has figured out a way to do that which doesn’t put his passenger or his kneecap in jeapardy, then that’s fine.
Understood.

Safety and retention are very important to me while carrying. That is why I replaced my paddle holster with the belt slide ALS and why my pistol lives in its holster. My goal is to not remove my pistol from the holster unless I am firing at the range, training, or cleaning. I'm not prepared to manage the risk of clearing my pistol in my car. Your mileage will vary.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

LDB415
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LDB415 »

I suppose as a compromise one could remove the magazine leaving only 1 round available to anyone else. Not ideal but better than furnishing 6-15 more with the magazine. And if one has a pistol with a working magazine disconnect then the chambered round is useless anyway. Another thought provoker to go with the one already created in the thread.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

montgomery
Posts in topic: 3

Post by montgomery »

Noggin wrote:Like most other posters I leave my pistol locked in my console vault but keep my spare mags in the pouch on my left hip. Earlier this week I went in for a minor surgical procedure (wart removal) and had to remove my shirt the doc made no comments about my empty holster or my mag pouch. When I did the same thing last year with another doc he asked just asked me what I normally carried, he then told me his weapon of choice was a Glock 17. I had not considered removing the mag from my pistol or the round in the chamber but I might do that in future.
Glock 17 because Obamacare mandates 9 mm. Repeal and replace with 45 ACP. :lol:

:cheers2:

Topic author
SIGFan43
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SIGFan43 »

LDB415 wrote:I suppose as a compromise one could remove the magazine leaving only 1 round available to anyone else. Not ideal but better than furnishing 6-15 more with the magazine. And if one has a pistol with a working magazine disconnect then the chambered round is useless anyway. Another thought provoker to go with the one already created in the thread.
I really like this idea. It's safer than unchambering everything and then chambering and loading once back in the car. It's quick and safe to eject the mag and reinsert when back at the car. I'm going to start doing this when and if I pass a 30.06 sign.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

LDB415 wrote:I suppose as a compromise one could remove the magazine leaving only 1 round available to anyone else. Not ideal but better than furnishing 6-15 more with the magazine. And if one has a pistol with a working magazine disconnect then the chambered round is useless anyway. Another thought provoker to go with the one already created in the thread.
I have put considerable thought and time into developing my carry method. It works in 99.9% of the circumstances in which I find myself. Even so, I am always looking for ways to do it better.

Removing the magazine when I stow the pistol in my car seems reasonable. My M&P does not have a magazine disconnect, so I could readily fire the one round if the situation required. I can easily remove the magazine without removing the pistol from its holster. Downside is where do I put the magazine? The pouches on my belt are already full. Carrying it in a pocket should be alright for a short time. Then I can easily and safely reinsert the magazine into the holstered pistol and quickly reattach the holster to my belt.

I'll give this a try to verify that the benefits outweigh the inconveniences.

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”