Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 4032
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby RPBrown » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:19 am

For those that don't know, thats the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base.
Anyway, I have posted a few times about either getting half way there and remembering I had my EDC and having to turn around to take it to the office or how I felt naked without it there. Yesterday I had to take some material and a tool out there so I dropped my 1911 off at my office and went. Now, the tool that I needed to drop off to my crew is a powder actuated gun that shoots .32 blank cartridges to drive a nail in steel, concrete, wood, etc. I didn't think anything about it, I have my DoD badge for access and away I went. Pulled up to the gate, normal conversation, do you have any weapons or ammo, "no sir" was my reply. I noticed he had his dog with him and he was acting strange but then he asked me to pull over to a designated area. In 10 years working out there, this was a first but I complied. He proceeded to inform me that the dog had "hit" on a scent of explosives. Now the feeling of panic just went through my whole body and mind and I am sure it showed on my face. He asked if he could search my truck and informed me that a failure to comply would result in me not being allowed on the base and loss of my DoD badge (may have been a scare tactic but didn't care). I did comply because I had no "explosives" that I knew of. Of course, they found the tool and cartridges and we had to get a major to come down so I could explain what they were for and why we needed them on site. Even had him escort me to the job so we could show him what we needed them for.
Good news is (1) I got in :lol: (2) their dog is really well trained :mrgreen: and (3) They are having this tool and cartridges tagged to my badge in case this happens again :patriot:
Bad news is, this process took almost 2 hours out of a very busy day. :cryin
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby crazy2medic » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:06 am

Over zealous govt stupidity at it's finest!
Right up there with taking cuticle cutter from the pilot of an American Airlines plane because they could be used to hijack the plane he's already in charge of!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby Lynyrd » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:18 am

They were just doing their job! :rules:

I'm glad you were dealing with some rational people who accommodated the need for that "tool" on the job site. :thumbs2:

Reminds me of the time I was asked to pull into an area for a vehicle search at Naval Air Station Pensacola. They were concerned about my CHL, which I did not present as ID but the Marine at the gate spotted the second ID in my wallet and asked what it was. I of course showed it to him, which prompted a search of my vehicle. All was well, and we actually got into a discussion about pistols before all was said and done. But it did lead to a bit of a delay. :lol:
Do what you say you're gonna do.


cyphertext
Senior Member
Posts: 451
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:31 am

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby cyphertext » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:06 am

crazy2medic wrote:Over zealous govt stupidity at it's finest!
Right up there with taking cuticle cutter from the pilot of an American Airlines plane because they could be used to hijack the plane he's already in charge of!

Not "Over zealous govt stupidity at it's finest" at all. An explosives dog hit on the scent of "explosives" at a controlled access entry gate. They searched, found the item, determined the purpose of the item, and made appropriate changes to allow future access with the tool.


K.Mooneyham
Senior Member
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Vernon, Texas

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby K.Mooneyham » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:45 pm

I want everyone who hasn't been in the military to remember one thing: the services often assign someone a career field that individual may not have wanted, but simply showed some aptitude for doing through testing. I remember our IT guy when I was stationed in Iceland. He had a little sign on his desk that said "I geek because the Air Force said so"...he really didn't even like computers. Military police may or may not care for their job much beyond what the regulations require, so all they will do is follow the rules.

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts: 1467
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby Flightmare » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:51 pm

Additionally, people here may or may not be aware that there is a federal prison on base as well.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

KC5AV
Senior Member
Posts: 1823
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: Marshall

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby KC5AV » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:07 pm

cyphertext wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:Over zealous govt stupidity at it's finest!
Right up there with taking cuticle cutter from the pilot of an American Airlines plane because they could be used to hijack the plane he's already in charge of!

Not "Over zealous govt stupidity at it's finest" at all. An explosives dog hit on the scent of "explosives" at a controlled access entry gate. They searched, found the item, determined the purpose of the item, and made appropriate changes to allow future access with the tool.

Agreed. It may have taken a little while to sort out, but the system worked. Not everyone knows what this tool is, or what it's used for.
NRA lifetime member

User avatar

Topic author
RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 4032
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby RPBrown » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:59 pm

Flightmare wrote:Additionally, people here may or may not be aware that there is a federal prison on base as well.


Funny you should say that. A few years ago, I had to hire some subcontractors. I told the boss that whoever he sent must be able to pass a federal background check. They sent me 3 people. 1 made it in, 1 got turned away and 1 they stuffed and cuffed right then and his boss still hasn't heard from him
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5578
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby Pawpaw » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:06 pm

K.Mooneyham wrote:I want everyone who hasn't been in the military to remember one thing: the services often assign someone a career field that individual may not have wanted, but simply showed some aptitude for doing through testing. I remember our IT guy when I was stationed in Iceland. He had a little sign on his desk that said "I geek because the Air Force said so"...he really didn't even like computers. Military police may or may not care for their job much beyond what the regulations require, so all they will do is follow the rules.

Conversely, some people come in with a guarantee of a career field they have no business in.

Back in 1972, I went through basic training with a geeky little guy that was all excited because he was guaranteed to be a Security Policeman. We already thought that was strange, but when we went to the rifle range he scored a 38, out of a possible 150. And he was guaranteed to be allowed to carry a gun! :banghead:
Last edited by Pawpaw on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


PBratton
Senior Member
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:47 pm
Location: Sugar Land, Texas

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby PBratton » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Sounds as if it was handled quite well on both sides.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer is free in 2017

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor


rotor
Senior Member
Posts: 2445
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby rotor » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:34 pm

I was very surprised that a dog could pick up an explosive scent from one of those blank .22 used on that hammer. Are they that exposed that a dog would pick that up? How about regular carry ammo like the 9mm in the security officer's gun?

The other issue about the military, I remember a friend that joined with the promise that he would be trained in some electronic course. They did train him as was promised and then sent him to a cryptography school as they didn't need electronic techs at the time. This was a guy that couldn't win in a checkers game. Promises were kept though.

User avatar

mcscanner
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:18 pm
Location: Lewisville, TX

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby mcscanner » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:48 pm

They are .22 blanks with varying power loads and I expect having been used before the device was covered in smokeless power residue. Easy mark for a well trained dog.

Dog knows handler is a good guy and to ignore his 9mm. Handler observes alert with a stranger... you are good to search. :mrgreen:

Mike
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...


rotor
Senior Member
Posts: 2445
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby rotor » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:17 am

mcscanner wrote:They are .22 blanks with varying power loads and I expect having been used before the device was covered in smokeless power residue. Easy mark for a well trained dog.

Dog knows handler is a good guy and to ignore his 9mm. Handler observes alert with a stranger... you are good to search. :mrgreen:

Mike

Thanks. That's a good explanation.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 23049
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby The Annoyed Man » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:38 am

crazy2medic wrote:Over zealous govt stupidity at it's finest!
Right up there with taking cuticle cutter from the pilot of an American Airlines plane because they could be used to hijack the plane he's already in charge of!

That pilot is a friend of mine from my church. He and his wife usually sit a row or two behind me. She’s a yoga instructor, and I’ve taken her class a few times. In any case, when the TSA guy confiscated the clipper.....it was a small keychain-sized nail clipper by the way, not a cuticle clipper....he told my friend “With THIS (insert dramatic flourish), you can bring down the plane! My friend told him, “Son, I’m the captain of this flight. If I want the plane to come down, it’s coming down....with or without the nail clipper.” But the TSA guy still kept it and wouldn’t give it back. What an idiot.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre


NNT
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Re: Had an issue at the NASJRB in Fort Worth

Postby NNT » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:45 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:Over zealous govt stupidity at it's finest!
Right up there with taking cuticle cutter from the pilot of an American Airlines plane because they could be used to hijack the plane he's already in charge of!

That pilot is a friend of mine from my church. He and his wife usually sit a row or two behind me. She’s a yoga instructor, and I’ve taken her class a few times. In any case, when the TSA guy confiscated the clipper.....it was a small keychain-sized nail clipper by the way, not a cuticle clipper....he told my friend “With THIS (insert dramatic flourish), you can bring down the plane! My friend told him, “Son, I’m the captain of this flight. If I want the plane to come down, it’s coming down....with or without the nail clipper.” But the TSA guy still kept it and wouldn’t give it back. What an idiot.



I used to go into a federal building as a sales rep. I was told very nicely that my keychain swiss knife with one inch blade and scissors could not come in :nono: , and that if I just tossed it in the bushes instead of taking it to my car 5 blocks away would constitute planting a weapon. So I walked. On my next trip I had a repair tech with me. I still could not have my knife, but he was let in with hammers, box cutters, screw drivers, wire cutters.....But rules are rules.


Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests