Residence Issue

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Archery1
Posts in topic: 3

Residence Issue

Post by Archery1 »

I have a residence, the one on my LTC and TDL, that I keep and maintain and have full utilities still active in my name. The issue is that I vacated in order to make ready for sale, have put on market, and I have other places to live in the meantime. Technically have no "permanent" residence that I can say I will be in for any long-term. I'm building a new house, but it won't be done for probably another 8 months. I have short-term lease I'm in now that I could claim as residence, but in a few months, I might be somewhere else. I know they want to know where you live, but I prefer to do one time for the lasting address. Any advice?

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Residence Issue

Post by GeekwithaGun »

We built a new house, it took six months to complete. After selling our prior house, we moved into an apartment for the 6 months while the house was built. I changed my LTC and DL to the new apartment after selling the old house, then again when we took residency at the new house.
I believe that you could keep your current address UNTIL the old house is sold, then you have 30 days to change it to your current residence. It's a pain, but I'd rather have current addresses and not have issues. YMMV
NRA Life Member

Topic author
Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

GeekwithaGun wrote:We built a new house, it took six months to complete. After selling our prior house, we moved into an apartment for the 6 months while the house was built. I changed my LTC and DL to the new apartment after selling the old house, then again when we took residency at the new house.
I believe that you could keep your current address UNTIL the old house is sold, then you have 30 days to change it to your current residence. It's a pain, but I'd rather have current addresses and not have issues. YMMV
Thanks! I know technically and legally my residence, where I sleep, is supposed to be on it, but I also think provisions for a 57 year old homeless man are not covered by the rules. After I sell my primary residence, where I don't sleep, I will definitely have to provide a new residence, even if for only a few months. This all may not be totally legit, but I don't know how else to handle it.

infoman

Post by infoman »

The address on your LTC card should always match the address printed on your DL card.

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice but in your shoes I would wait until mid-January and then change my permanent address to my new home even if construction is not complete yet. If my house was damaged by hurricane or fire that's still my permanent residence even if I sleep somewhere else until the construction is complete. I apply the same logic here until a court of competent jurisdiction says otherwise.

In any case follow infoman's advice and change both DL and LTC at the same time whenever that time comes.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Topic author
Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

Infoman, thanks! Yes, I plan to change CL then LTC exactly same and prefer fewer changes possible. I assume a red flag would be raised if I held them differently.

Spectre, thanks! Sounds like a workable plan given I don't have control of any time-frame.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”