Different Expiration Dates??

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BSL-4
Posts in topic: 9

Different Expiration Dates??

Post by BSL-4 »

So it's been a while since I stopped in here. Hi! The DH & I got our CHLs in 2014. We started the process December 2013 and sent off paperwork in January 2014 (that wait time sucked!) Anyway, the DH asked me last night how we're renewing our CHLs next year. And I'm like what?? Mine expires in 2019. But low & behold, his has an October 2018 expiration, while mine is February 2019, even though we took the classes together and mailed out our paper work at once (I did get my CHL sooner because I did mine online and he didn't). Only thing interesting is our CHL expiration day is on our birthdays. Anyone run into this problem? Who do you suggest the DH contact to get his expiration date corrected? Thanks!

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Different Expiration Dates??

Post by flechero »

IIRC they always expire on your Bday... when you are originally issued, you usually get some extra time, until the following Bday. I don't think you can "correct" the dates so you two match. My wife and I are 6 mos apart for the same reason.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

BSL-4 wrote:So it's been a while since I stopped in here. Hi! The DH & I got our CHLs in 2014. We started the process December 2013 and sent off paperwork in January 2014 (that wait time sucked!) Anyway, the DH asked me last night how we're renewing our CHLs next year. And I'm like what?? Mine expires in 2019. But low & behold, his has an October 2018 expiration, while mine is February 2019, even though we took the classes together and mailed out our paper work at once (I did get my CHL sooner because I did mine online and he didn't). Only thing interesting is our CHL expiration day is on our birthdays. Anyone run into this problem? Who do you suggest the DH contact to get his expiration date corrected? Thanks!
October 2019 would be >5 years?

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

BSL-4 wrote: Only thing interesting is our CHL expiration day is on our birthdays.
That's just the way they do it. It's the same with your driver's license.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
BSL-4

Post by BSL-4 »

flechero wrote:IIRC they always expire on your Bday... when you are originally issued, you usually get some extra time, until the following Bday. I don't think you can "correct" the dates so you two match. My wife and I are 6 mos apart for the same reason.
Oh, ok! Thank you, really appreciate it!

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Wife & I have the same thing. There was a window of time when we could attend the renewal together, and that is what we did.

Topic author
BSL-4

Post by BSL-4 »

warnmar10 wrote:
BSL-4 wrote:So it's been a while since I stopped in here. Hi! The DH & I got our CHLs in 2014. We started the process December 2013 and sent off paperwork in January 2014 (that wait time sucked!) Anyway, the DH asked me last night how we're renewing our CHLs next year. And I'm like what?? Mine expires in 2019. But low & behold, his has an October 2018 expiration, while mine is February 2019, even though we took the classes together and mailed out our paper work at once (I did get my CHL sooner because I did mine online and he didn't). Only thing interesting is our CHL expiration day is on our birthdays. Anyone run into this problem? Who do you suggest the DH contact to get his expiration date corrected? Thanks!
October 2019 would be >5 years?
Yes, which would make no sense because it should be four years for our initial CHL. But my renewal date in Feb 2019 does make mine five years, which is why I thought it was odd.

Topic author
BSL-4

Post by BSL-4 »

SQLGeek wrote:
BSL-4 wrote: Only thing interesting is our CHL expiration day is on our birthdays.
That's just the way they do it. It's the same with your driver's license.
Great. I'm already annoyed about renewing my DL before my birthday. Like I need another reminder! :lol:

Topic author
BSL-4

Post by BSL-4 »

Boxerrider wrote:Wife & I have the same thing. There was a window of time when we could attend the renewal together, and that is what we did.
That's what we had planned to do. But I'm reading that range & classroom time is no longer required for CHL renewal??

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

BSL-4 wrote:
Boxerrider wrote:Wife & I have the same thing. There was a window of time when we could attend the renewal together, and that is what we did.
That's what we had planned to do. But I'm reading that range & classroom time is no longer required for CHL renewal??
Correct. The last time we renewed we each did it online.

Topic author
BSL-4

Post by BSL-4 »

Boxerrider wrote:
BSL-4 wrote:
Correct. The last time we renewed we each did it online.
Excellent, thanks! I told the DH I'd find the right answers here instead of trying to weed through internet searches!

Topic author
BSL-4

Post by BSL-4 »

Thank you to everyone that chimed in to answer my questions! Everyone have a great Christmas!

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

You each will receive a reminder letter from DPS about 6 months before expiration. Once you receive that letter, your online account will be active for renewal. It's easy (and now cheaper!).

Merry Christmas.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
BSL-4

Post by BSL-4 »

oohrah wrote:You each will receive a reminder letter from DPS about 6 months before expiration. Once you receive that letter, your online account will be active for renewal. It's easy (and now cheaper!).

Merry Christmas.
Thank you for the information! I'll tell the DH to watch for the letter in March!

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

oohrah wrote:You each will receive a reminder letter from DPS about 6 months before expiration. Once you receive that letter, your online account will be active for renewal. It's easy (and now cheaper!).

Merry Christmas.
Or you're like me and never receive the letter because you've moved out of state and back and then remember you need to renew when buying a new gun at Academy because the clerk helpfully reminds you "Hey your LTC is going to expire soon." :lol:
Psalm 91:2

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”