CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Matth3w
Posts in topic: 13

New member ?s about TX CHL

Post by Matth3w »

Hi all.

I am active duty military for the past 17 years. I have a TX CHL that expired 3/30/17. I was stationed in El Paso, received a CHL for TX and AZ at the same time, then moved to the People's Republik of Hawaii for four years, where guns and your constitutional rights are basically nonexistent. However, I am moving back to Texas (thank God) in June 2018. I submitted my renewal application online, paid the $0 fee for active duty, and then submitted my PCS orders to Fort Hood on the secure website. My address is still listed as my Hawaii address.

Assuming all works well with that permit, what happens in 6-7 months when I get a new permanent address in TX, being that the Hawaii address will still be on the card? Do I just let them know I moved, or get a new card, or what? And will my right-to-carry in TX be affected in any way since it has a Hawaii address? Or will my military ID and CHL w/DL be enough?

If it matters, my AZ DL has not changed since the first time I got the CHL and I was able to log into the site with my AZ information and CHL number.

Merry Christmas!

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New member ?s about TX CHL

Post by OneGun »

Matthew,

Thank for you service and Merry Christmas. You can log into the DPS website and submit a change of address. You will receive a new LTC (formerly known as the CHL) in the mail. You will not lose your right to carry during the interim. I believe you have 30 days within your change of address to submit a change of address. Also, you will probably need to get a TX DL if Texas is your permanent address.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Topic author
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

OneGun,

Glad to be of service!

So basically my LTC comes in the mail with my Hawaii address let's assume in the next two weeks (just for the sake of argument). I can then move to Texas in June, and from the moment I step foot in the state, even though the LTC has a Hawaii address, I can begin to CC again?

Then I go online and submit an address change, and I'll get a new card?

Sadly, TX will not be my permanent address. Likely I will PCS again in three years. My plan is to stay in the Army for 32 years, so I will be leaving TX again at some point. I've thus far kept my AZ DL because it's good until I'm 65 (yes it actually expires 3/30/2046).

Now I just need to see if the same or similar applies to the AZ permit. Although they don't seem to have an online system so it might be a little more tedious.

Topic author
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

Looking at the reciprocity maps, I'm not sure there is even really a point in renewing my AZ permit. It doesn't seem like there is much difference than TX, other than TX renews for free for active duty whereas AZ charges $43, and TX also you can do online which seems much more efficient.

Topic author
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

1/ How long do you think to receive the updated permit since I submitted today? 60 days again like the initial?

2/ I did come across this:

Texas License-To-Carry LTC/CHL Renewals. As of September 1, 2013 class time and range time are NO LONGER required for handgun license renewals. As long as your license is not expired more than 12 months you may renew your license.

So because I submitted today and it expired 3/30/2017 I have until 3/30/2018 to renew, or I need to receive it before then? I assume the former rather than latter.

3/ Can I assume if I keep my AZ DL but have the TX LTC, that it is considered a non-resident LTC, and therefore has additional restrictions (like not being recognized by Colorado and being within 1k feet of a school), or does that change because I have an active duty ID card and my address on file at that point will be TX?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Matth3w wrote:Sorry for all the dumb questions.

1/ How long do you think to receive the updated permit since I submitted today? 60 days again like the initial?

2/ I did come across this:

Texas License-To-Carry LTC/CHL Renewals. As of September 1, 2013 class time and range time are NO LONGER required for handgun license renewals. As long as your license is not expired more than 12 months you may renew your license.

So because I submitted today and it expired 3/30/2017 I have until 3/30/2018 to renew, or I need to receive it before then? I assume the former rather than latter.

3/ Can I assume if I keep my AZ DL but have the TX LTC, that it is considered a non-resident LTC, and therefore has additional restrictions (like not being recognized by Colorado and being within 1k feet of a school), or does that change because I have an active duty ID card and my address on file at that point will be TX?
Welcome to the forum. Here are your answers:

1) Depends, but probably less than a month. Some receive renewals within a couple of weeks, but will depend on how long it takes for local background checks to be returned. Also with holidays it may take a little longer.

2) Former

3) I believe it will be based on your state of residence, not your Home of Record (AZ). However, I may be incorrect since your DL is AZ and that would make it a non-resident license.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I am not as expert on this as some of the instructors on the site but let me take a stab at some of this.

I think you will get your renewed LTC in a few weeks. They have been running two weeks to a month for most of the ones posted on the site lately. Just to clarify one point that I was unclear if you understood, but your license right now is expired and therefore invalid. You cannot carry a weapon under its authority until you get the renewal card in the mail.

I would probably not renew the AZ license because of the fee, but that is a personal choice. You might want to keep an eye on the federal laws since the House has just passed a bill mandating national reciprocity for pistol licenses. We are not sure yet how the Senate will react but I think it will pass there too. That might even help in Hawaii once you get the renewal.

In Texas, the general rule is that the LTC and driver's license must have matching addresses. But we exempt active duty military from having their DL change to Texas or keep its address active. I think you would be okay to carry in Texas with the Hawaii address on the LTC and your active duty ID card until you changed it to a Texas license, but you might want to ask DPS to be sure.
Steve Rothstein

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

srothstein wrote:
In Texas, the general rule is that the LTC and driver's license must have matching addresses. But we exempt active duty military from having their DL change to Texas or keep its address active. I think you would be okay to carry in Texas with the Hawaii address on the LTC and your active duty ID card until you changed it to a Texas license, but you might want to ask DPS to be sure.
Forgot that part. You will have 30 days after moving to request the change of address once you move to Texas. You will be valid to carry on the renewed license with Hawaii address until the new one arrives with the new address.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

srothstein wrote:I am not as expert on this as some of the instructors on the site but let me take a stab at some of this.

I think you will get your renewed LTC in a few weeks. They have been running two weeks to a month for most of the ones posted on the site lately. Just to clarify one point that I was unclear if you understood, but your license right now is expired and therefore invalid. You cannot carry a weapon under its authority until you get the renewal card in the mail.

I would probably not renew the AZ license because of the fee, but that is a personal choice. You might want to keep an eye on the federal laws since the House has just passed a bill mandating national reciprocity for pistol licenses. We are not sure yet how the Senate will react but I think it will pass there too. That might even help in Hawaii once you get the renewal.

1/ Definitely understood that I cannot carry the LTC expired. I won't be there until June anyhow.

2/ National reciprocity would be nice.

3/ So if move to Texas and change the address on my LTC to Texas, but maintain my AZ DL and Active Duty military ID, would I be fine? Not quite the same scenario you proposed. I don't really have any interest in getting a Texas license mainly because once I forgo the AZ license I'm essentially going to be switching licenses every time I move. Not convenient. I have a note to call DPS tomorrow.

Topic author
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

Keith B wrote:
srothstein wrote:
Forgot that part. You will have 30 days after moving to request the change of address once you move to Texas. You will be valid to carry on the renewed license with Hawaii address until the new one arrives with the new address.
Yeah, I will as soon as I get there.

Topic author
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

Keith B wrote:3) I believe it will be based on your state of residence, not your Home of Record (AZ). However, I may be incorrect since your DL is AZ and that would make it a non-resident license.
Well, my Home of Record is actually Pennsylvania because that's where I joined the military from. I just happen to have an AZ license because I own property there and lived there for four years, and they offer a license to you until the age of 65 for only $25.

It was the same license I got the original LTC from in 2013 or whenever.

I'm just wondering if they consider it an in-residence LTC because of the active duty status. I guess I'm just going to have to call them ask specifically ask. I don't think it was an issue then. And I have orders to Texas.

Same thing when I buy a weapon from Texas. With my military orders, they allow me to purchase as a resident, if I recall.

Topic author
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

It's nice to be active because we do get some leeway, but the issue with it is they are very rare situations which makes solid online researching difficult. When I hear back from them I will have to let you all know what they have to say in regards specifically to the whole AZ DL vs. TX LTC and stuff.

I've been googling to see if I am considered a resident with various search terms for over an hour with not much luck (as you can probably tell, not much going on for us Christmas wise).

I don't necessarily mind if it is considered an out-of-state permit, although my understanding is it comes with some slightly different rules. And I just want to make sure I know which rules I fall under.

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bigtek »

The address on your license to carry should match the address on your license to drive. Students and military get some leeway but even then matching addresses are best even if they're from different states.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Topic author
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

They're not going to match. They never have since I got the LTC. I applied for, accepted, and now renewed with an AZ DL and TX LTC with separate addresses.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I would add this...... When my wife and I moved at the end of October (inside of Texas), we did our change of addresses online, and it took not more than about a week to get the new licenses in the mail. So if you do renew your license now with a Hawaii address, and then arrive in Texas with a valid non-resident license, you can convert that to a resident license very quickly and painlessly, using the DPS website......that is, if you decide to make Texas your address of record. If you intend to eventually move back to Arizona, you can always convert it back to a non-resident license with the AZ address on it at that time. And as I’m sure you’re aware, you don’t really need an AZ license in AZ.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”