New member ?s about TX CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Matth3w
Posts in topic: 13

Re: New member ?s about TX CHL

Post by Matth3w »

I definitely don’t plan on getting a Texas license. So I will always have the AZ license with AZ address on the AZ license. When I get to Texas I’ll change the LTC to my local Texas address but it will just be renting for three years before I move again so I’m not under any circumstance getting a Texas license. If that means I’m stuck with a nonresident a LTC then so be it I guess.

I still think none of that matters active duty but DPS is still closed for the holidays today so I need to wait until tomorrow to get a more solid answer.

For some reason I recall the active duty gives me sort of resident status but it was like 4+ years ago and things could change and I’m getting old so perhaps my memory is failing. At the very least I should have zero issues with a non resident carrying while I live in TX

Topic author
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

I thought the rules were slightly different for carrying in texas with a nonresident...like stand off distances or something. Or is that old news? Specifically I came across an older Google result that stated something like with a nonresident you had to remain 1000ft from a school but that restriction didn't exist for resident...?

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Matth3w wrote:I thought the rules were slightly different for carrying in texas with a nonresident...like stand off distances or something. Or is that old news? Specifically I came across an older Google result that stated something like with a nonresident you had to remain 1000ft from a school but that restriction didn't exist for resident...?
That is the GFSZA, a federal restriction.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

Ok, so irrelevant to the Texas LTC resident vs. nonresident then?

Thanks everyone for answering my stupid, somewhat niche questions.

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bigtek »

Matth3w wrote:Ok, so irrelevant to the Texas LTC resident vs. nonresident then?
Federal law is federal law, so it's kind of like smoking pot in Colorado. :evil2:
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Matth3w wrote:Ok, so irrelevant to the Texas LTC resident vs. nonresident then?

Thanks everyone for answering my stupid, somewhat niche questions.
Yes. Federal law states that a person who has a license to carry from the state they are in is exempt from the Gun Free School Zone Act. So, not really a resident/non-resident issue, but a license from the state required. For example, if you have an TX license, resident or non-resident, you can be closer to a school in TX, but not in another state.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

Ok thanks for clarifying. I’ll hopefully have more info from the source on the resident vs. nonresident tomorrow. Just for peoples future reference and search history.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”