Question about on-line notice for 30.06 (3) (A)

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

Question about on-line notice for 30.06 (3) (A)

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Here's the issue. I know of a number of churches, like this one http://www.emmanuel-houston.org/weapons-policy, that post 30.06 verbiage on-line. They may or may not post the requisite signage on site. In this case of this parish, I have not checked. I have yet to see an Episcopal parish that actually posted the signage, probably because it doesn't fit their decor.

Anyway, my question is whether on-line notification constitutes an "...or other document..." notification per 30.06 (3) (A).

Thanks, Happy New Year, and Gig'Em Aggies. John
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

RoyGBiv

Re: Question about on-line notice for 30.06 (3) (A)

Post by RoyGBiv »

I never read the web site... so... how would I have been "notified"?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

My guess is yes, it constitutes notice...if you've read it on the website. If you did not read it, you did not receive notice.
USAF 1982-2005

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

ELB wrote:My guess is yes, it constitutes notice...if you've read it on the website. If you did not read it, you did not receive notice.
Only if you zoom in where the letters are 1" big on your monitor.
;-)
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

bbhack wrote:
ELB wrote:My guess is yes, it constitutes notice...if you've read it on the website. If you did not read it, you did not receive notice.
;-)
I see what you did there...wait, did you do it? Well I guess you have been given notice!...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I personally do not see how they have fulfilled the requirements of notification as stated by Texas Law.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

They haven't.

There are a lot of good churches out there I'm sure.

Simply find one that allows self defense with a firearm.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

RogueUSMC wrote:
bbhack wrote:
;-)
I see what you did there...wait, did you do it? Well I guess you have been given notice!...lol
Now you can't conceal carry while you're on their web site!
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Here's the issue. I know of a number of churches, like this one http://www.emmanuel-houston.org/weapons-policy, that post 30.06 verbiage on-line. They may or may not post the requisite signage on site. In this case of this parish, I have not checked. I have yet to see an Episcopal parish that actually posted the signage, probably because it doesn't fit their decor.

Anyway, my question is whether on-line notification constitutes an "...or other document..." notification per 30.06 (3) (A).

Thanks, Happy New Year, and Gig'Em Aggies. John
No habla ingles.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

My analysis is this...

30.05, 30.06, and 30.07 require SIGNAGE to be placed conspicuously and clearly visible to the public. It would seem that the purpose for this is to ensure that the person to who the prohibition applies actually gets the message. There is an implied "you can't reasonably or fairly be held responsible if we don't ensure you get the message". So the legislature writes that into the law.

As to written documentation in .06/.07 the owner or person acting on the owners authority must...provide notice by.... Those words must mean something other than simply writing a notice on some medium and expecting that the intended receiver will haphazardly come to see it. It would seem that to provide the written document there must be a more deliberately targeted act than simply leaving the notice to be found by serendipity, such as might be the case with a visiter to a church. Members of the church, it could be argued, are made aware of the rules of the organization...perhaps.

But a deliberate providing of a notice to a person seems implied with written documents. Keep in mind there are three methods of notification. With oral there is an implied requirement that the oral notice is personally targeted and direct. With signage there is a requirement of conspicuousness. If this were not the case with written documents then it would the the only one of the three that does not require direct provision to the intended receiver. This does not seem likely.

Otherwise, they could simply leave written documents laying around and claim that they provided you with notice. Remember, a prosecutor must prove you were provided notice.

So my conclusion is that merely posting the notice on the website, although it is probably considered a written document does not meet the requirement of providing notice...IF...the direct provision theory is correct.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

ELB

Post by ELB »

My analysis is that the website for a church, apparently set up by the church, provides information and policies by the owners and people authorized by the owners. If you take the time to read the site, and click through to the weapons policy (nothing haphazard about that, you did it), and read the statutorily correct language provided there, then you have been provided notice.

If may be another matter to prove that you read it in court, but that is a separate issue, and an interesting one from a moral stand point.
USAF 1982-2005

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I've visited a lot of churches without looking at their website.

In the case of a hotel that only provides notice on the online booking page; that's a pretty incomplete notification. Most large hotels have meeting rooms and restaurants within the definition of 'premises'. If I'm there for a seminar, or to have lunch with a client, if they don't post signs at the doors, I haven't been notified as per the statute.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

ELB wrote:My analysis is that the website for a church, apparently set up by the church, provides information and policies by the owners and people authorized by the owners. If you take the time to read the site, and click through to the weapons policy (nothing haphazard about that, you did it), and read the statutorily correct language provided there, then you have been provided notice.

If may be another matter to prove that you read it in court, but that is a separate issue, and an interesting one from a moral stand point.
I have a personal website. I think I'll post the wording on it so everyone visiting my home will have notification not to carry at my home!

Really???

It's not the job of a visiter to seek out all possible places where there might be written documents prohibiting carry. If it is and I find none then what if I failed to look far enough? What if I miss one?

The owner must provide notice. That provision must be effectual and not depend on serendipitous discovery or it's meaningless.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”