Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sailor2000
Posts in topic: 5

New Year's eve arrest at Houston Hyatt

Post by sailor2000 »

see article https://www.click2houston.com/news/into ... police-say

Here is my question :

How could they arrest a person for " unlawfully carrying a weapon and trespassing" when he was a registered guest of the hotel AND was not carrying at the time of arrest, if the report is in fact true? He, from the report, was not carrying and had the weapons stored in a "premises under his control"?

Note: The story has been changed from earlier today. The earlier report stated he was arrested for unlawful possession of a weapon.
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.senioranswer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

philip964
Posts in topic: 6

Re: New Year's eve arrest at Houston Hyatt

Post by philip964 »

This is the big major headline on Drudge this morning.

However a comment posted by a reader may put this into perspective. There is a gun show in downtown Houston this weekend.

It was just three guns afterall.

I have not confirmed accuracy of the gun show comment.

spectre
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by spectre »

sailor2000 wrote:Here is my question :

How could they arrest a person for " unlawfully carrying a weapon and trespassing" when he was a registered guest of the hotel AND was not carrying at the time of arrest, if the report is in fact true? He, from the report, was not carrying and had the weapons stored in a "premises under his control"?
It's Houston.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

spectre
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by spectre »

philip964 wrote:This is the big major headline on Drudge this morning.

However a comment posted by a reader may put this into perspective. There is a gun show in downtown Houston this weekend.

It was just three guns afterall.

I have not confirmed accuracy of the gun show comment.
GRB website says yes. High Caliber Gun & Knife Show http://www.grbhouston.com/attendees/events-calendar/

Still, it's Houston, where Sylvester Turner is the mayor and Art Acevedo is the police chief.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Yep Gun show just down the street.

This one appears to be two minutes sooner than the other similar thread. Its really tough to be that close to the prize and yet not make it.

flowrie
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flowrie »

I have stayed at this hotel. It is posted, also posted on its website, not that I agree, but it is posted. So it is what it is.
He concealed and carried to his room.
This hotel is not cheap, to stay there on New Years eve just makes it more expensive, so I doubt the guy is there just for a gun show.
Then add in drunk and disorderly which reflects additional poor judgement, I have no sympathy for the guy, based on the available information. He has a bad case of stupid.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

rotor

Post by rotor »

flowrie wrote:I have stayed at this hotel. It is posted, also posted on its website, not that I agree, but it is posted. So it is what it is.
This hotel is not cheap, to stay there on New Years eve just makes it more expensive, so I doubt the guy is there just for a gun show.
Then add in drunk and disorderly which reflects additional poor judgement, I have no sympathy for the guy, based on the available information. He has a bad case of stupid.
I didn't see any posting on their website but the fine for not posting is only $100 for the hotel. Failure to post on the website will probably not get this guy off the hook but perhaps he has a smart lawyer.

Topic author
sailor2000

Post by sailor2000 »

Hmmm... With the warning that all these questions are based on the current version of the Chronicle story

1) He was not "carrying" when arrested, so does 30.06 apply since he had it in a "premise under his control"?
2) Since he rented the room and the room fee includes use of the Hotel public areas, to what parts of the property does "premise under his control" extend?
3) Could he have been charged with any weapons related offense had the handgun been absent?

4) And lastly, I cannot resist, since 3 guns is an Arsenal, how many rounds does it take to qualify as "many" in the Chronicle?
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
sailor2000

Post by sailor2000 »

rotor wrote:
flowrie wrote:I have stayed at this hotel. It is posted, also posted on its website, not that I agree, but it is posted. So it is what it is.
I didn't see any posting on their website but the fine for not posting is only $100 for the hotel. Failure to post on the website will probably not get this guy off the hook but perhaps he has a smart lawyer.
If you book on line the 30.06 notice is in the Ts and Cs you agree to when booking the room. I have no experience walking in and booking a room so I don't know if they give you notice at the desk.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
sailor2000

Post by sailor2000 »

More data here

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 993235001/

Looks like the guy really worked at getting arrested.
NRA Endowment Member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

sailor2000 wrote:If you book on line the 30.06 notice is in the Ts and Cs you agree to when booking the room. I have no experience walking in and booking a room so I don't know if they give you notice at the desk.
That's assuming you used their site and not one of the many of other travel sites (ie. Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline)
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Good news!
However, guns and alcohol should not be mixed.

http://abc13.com/police-man-had-no-inte ... l/2844041/
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OneGun »

The Hyatt Regency is a registered Criminal Protection Zone with both 30.06 and 30.07 signs. The person trespassed with this gun. That the cause for the gun-related charges. The remaining charges are due to his lack of sobriety.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It looks like Houston PD got this right in the end. He was a registered guest in the hotel, so 30.06 / 30.07 would not apply to the handguns he had in his room, and would obviously never apply to the AR. Plus it doesn't look like he was actually carrying any guns while he was intoxicated.

There is an interesting conundrum here, though. Apparently he left the guns (hopefully secured) in his room and was out of his room getting drunk, unarmed. So far, so good. But when the hotel asked him to leave, he faced a real issue. Namely, how does he get his guns out of the room without carrying them in his intoxicated state, which would be a no-no. And then where does he take the guns? If he takes them to his vehicle, then my understanding is that as soon as he walks up to his truck, drunk, and with keys in hand, he could be charged with DUI (LEO's please correct me if I am mistaken here). I guess the safest course of action at that point would probably be to comply with the request to leave but refuse to retrieve his belongings (especially his guns) from the hotel room, and simply tell management that he would come back to pick them up after he sobered up. Then take an Uber to another hotel for the night. And from the sound of things, I doubt he was in the right state of mind to make this type of calm reasoned decision.

The moral of the story seems to be that if you are gonna get drunk on New Years Eve, don't make a fool of yourself in your own hotel. Go drink somewhere else instead.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

sailor2000 wrote:4) And lastly, I cannot resist, since 3 guns is an Arsenal, how many rounds does it take to qualify as "many" in the Chronicle?
By this count, I currently have a "small arsenal" in my car, and another "small arsenal" in my bedroom. Along with a "Mucho Grande arsenal" in my gun safe. I occasionally even carry a "small arsenal" on my body.

I wonder if the 3 vehicles in my driveway constitute a "small car lot"?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”