New Year's eve arrest at Houston Hyatt

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

flowrie
Posts in topic: 4

Re: New Year's eve arrest at Houston Hyatt

Post by flowrie »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:It looks like Houston PD got this right in the end. He was a registered guest in the hotel, so 30.06 / 30.07 would not apply to the handguns he had in his room, and would obviously never apply to the AR. Plus it doesn't look like he was actually carrying any guns while he was intoxicated.
I believe he broke the law when he entered the hotel with the handgun, so 30.60 / 30.07 does apply to the handgun in the room. The handgun did not enter the hotel on its own, he carried it in.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

dlh
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dlh »

I read somewhere the hotel personnel asked him to leave the hotel and he refused. Even did so in the presence of the officer. Textbook trespass.

Remains to be seen what the justice system will "finally" charge him with.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

flowrie wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:It looks like Houston PD got this right in the end. He was a registered guest in the hotel, so 30.06 / 30.07 would not apply to the handguns he had in his room, and would obviously never apply to the AR. Plus it doesn't look like he was actually carrying any guns while he was intoxicated.
I believe he broke the law when he entered the hotel with the handgun, so 30.60 / 30.07 does apply to the handgun in the room. The handgun did not enter the hotel on its own, he carried it in.
Is it your contention then that anyone without an LTC who purchases a handgun and takes it home is in violation of unlicensed carry?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RottenApple »

Do we even know if he had an LTC or not? If not, then 30.06/.07 don't apply. but I haven't read anything that says he had an LTC.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

RottenApple wrote:Do we even know if he had an LTC or not? If not, then 30.06/.07 don't apply. but I haven't read anything that says he had an LTC.
Good point, I assume he had an LTC. However, if he has no LTC, then he would be guilty of carrying concealed without a license. Law says he can keep concealed in his vehicle without a license in Texas, but once he steps outside of the car concealed he is guilty, if he is not on his own property or directly in route to/from his vehicle. See Texas PC 46.02.

If he had any common sense, he would have left the guns locked up in his vehicle and not get drunk and belligerent.
He might avoid prosecution on a technicality, but it will cost him nevertheless.

The other comment about your taking a gun into your own home is ridiculous, unless you are a convicted felon or other person prohibited from possessing a firearm.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

The subject of having a pistol in a hotel has been discussed in this thread from years ago.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=36063

The general consensus seems to be that the hotel room is under your control and therefore legal to have a pistol there, whether one had an LTC or not. People are legally allowed to transport their firearms to/from their vehicle to their residence, regardless of having an LTC. Therefore, he would not be in violation of the law for carrying them in his luggage to his room. I mentioned bringing a pistol home earlier because you said he would be in violation of 30.06 because he carried it in. This is no different than someone carrying their pistol home from the store after purchasing it legally. (disclaimer: IANAL)

Topic author
sailor2000
Posts in topic: 5

Post by sailor2000 »

Flightmare wrote:The subject of having a pistol in a hotel has been discussed in this thread from years ago.

The general consensus seems to be that the hotel room is under your control and therefore legal to have a pistol there, whether one had an LTC or not. People are legally allowed to transport their firearms to/from their vehicle to their residence, regardless of having an LTC. Therefore, he would not be in violation of the law for carrying them in his luggage to his room. I mentioned bringing a pistol home earlier because you said he would be in violation of 30.06 because he carried it in. This is no different than someone carrying their pistol home from the store after purchasing it legally. (disclaimer: IANAL)
Are you saying being a registered guest and transporting in your luggage to your room negates the 30.06 notice? Not arguing, trying to learn.
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.senioranswer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

sailor2000 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:The subject of having a pistol in a hotel has been discussed in this thread from years ago.

Are you saying being a registered guest and transporting in your luggage to your room negates the 30.06 notice? Not arguing, trying to learn.
Once again, IANAL. I would imagine that the 30.06 notice applies to the common areas the same as it does in apartment complexes. You are prohibited from carrying in the office for example, but they cannot prohibit you from possessing the weapon in your apartment. They cannot prohibit you from transporting firearms between your car and your legal residence (whether it is a residence for a single night, month, or for an indefinite amount of time). Again, this is just my interpretation. I welcome any legal corrections.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

:iagree:
flowrie wrote:Good news!
However, guns and alcohol should not be mixed.

http://abc13.com/police-man-had-no-inte ... l/2844041/
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by howdy »

This was just on Fox News along with the guys picture. It is amazing how fast your world can turn. I feel he will beat the gun charges. It will probably get reduced to drunk in public. I hope I never get stopped on the way to the range or my farm. I always have a much larger "arsenal" when I go to those places.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

roadkill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by roadkill »

sbrawley wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote: If he takes them to his vehicle, then my understanding is that as soon as he walks up to his truck, drunk, and with keys in hand, he could be charged with DUI (LEO's please correct me if I am mistaken here).
If I’m remembering correctly, I’ve been told by deputies that you must be in the drivers seat with the key in the ignition to meet the elements of a DWI.
Well let’s muddy the waters a little. Dads f150 has no key, only a key fob. You must have the key fob with you for the push button start/stop button start the truck. If you are sitting in the drivers seat with that fob while looking for something would that be the same as “key in the ignition”? No idea what vehicle he had but this could be the case.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

We are getting a little sidetracked here! Lets keep it on track so we keep the thread open. We should get final charges IF ANY in a few days or so....
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Flightmare wrote:
sailor2000 wrote:

Once again, IANAL. I would imagine that the 30.06 notice applies to the common areas the same as it does in apartment complexes. You are prohibited from carrying in the office for example, but they cannot prohibit you from possessing the weapon in your apartment. They cannot prohibit you from transporting firearms between your car and your legal residence (whether it is a residence for a single night, month, or for an indefinite amount of time). Again, this is just my interpretation. I welcome any legal corrections.
That is my understanding as well. But like you, IANAL.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”