Gun shots in celebration of the coming of 2018.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun shots in celebration of the coming of 2018.

Post by bigtek »

kw5kw wrote:It is now 19:11 2017/12/31 and on the west side of Fort Worth, just inside Loop 820, I have just heard the first two gunshots in celebration of the New Year.
That's an interesting choice of times.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

ScottDLS wrote:If fired and landing from a flat surface (ie same level) and at greater than a 45 degree angle, the bullet will expend all its horizontal velocity prior to landing. So the only energy remaining in the bullet will be that of its terminal velocity from gravitational acceleration. So,it is not necessary to fire exactly 180 degrees from vertical. This is basic ballistics (ie physics). It is simply not possible for a 55gr bullet to puncture thick canvas and flesh from gravitational energy. Either the bullet was shot from higher elevation or at a less then 45 degree angle. The danger of shooting up in the air is that there are very often people and objects at a higher elevation than you and heavier bullets can cause some damage to unprotected people even from gravitational energy.
Don’t believe this is correct. Projectile motion notes that horizontal motion is independent of the forces of gravity; or said another way horizontal and vertical motion are independent. So while a bullet may be brought to earth due to a lack of vertical motion (maximum range), depending on initial horizontal motion (muzzle velocity) it still maintain some value of horizontal motion, albeit greatly reduced.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Topic author
kw5kw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kw5kw »

bigtek wrote:
kw5kw wrote:It is now 19:11 2017/12/31 and on the west side of Fort Worth, just inside Loop 820, I have just heard the first two gunshots in celebration of the New Year.
That's an interesting choice of times.
To tell you the truth I never realized it. I am used to doing military time in reports for the department before I retired. And, that was the time 7:11pm.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Perhaps if fireworks weren’t illegal in the cities people could make their celebratory noises with firecrackers and rockets instead of gunfire.
I see this as part stupidity on the part of those who discharge a rifle or pistol into the air and part unintended consequences of politicians who must do “good “ things like ban those annoying and dangerous fireworks.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

I was up until 1 am and would have called 911 if there would have been an audible gun shot.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

C-dub wrote:One of my LEO friends, who is now retired, told me once that many/most of his coworkers would park their cars underneath an overpass for about 15 minutes or so if they could right about midnight. It was to try and keep from having a round come back down on them.
I guess it would help, but I would be more concerned about the drunk who fired at a low angle instead of straight up.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

In talking to my wife yesterday (January 1), I realized one of my near-by neighbors probably did this very thing.

We were already in bed (we're old - been there, done that! :lol: ) I was already asleep, but she normally stays up late, so she was in bed, but wasn't asleep. About 12:30 AM she wakes me up saying "do you hear that?" I woke up just enough to hear a couple of pretty loud pops, and without even thinking about it, I tell her: "just somebody shooting fireworks" and then I immediately went back to sleep.

By next morning I had forgotten all about it. Later in the day we were talking and she mentioned something about what she heard the previous night, saying something to the effect that it was strange that our neighbor would light off only four firecrackers if they were going to shoot off fireworks for New Years.

Only four pops?! DANG it! Of COURSE that was NOT fireworks that we heard. :banghead:

We live out in the country, with houses separated by a couple hundred yards or more. Everyone's been where they are for at least several years and we all know each other, at least to some degree or another. Except that we did have a new family move into the house next door to us literally just last week.

With the busy-ness of the holidays and with the terrible weather recently, I haven't had a chance to go over and meet them yet. Guess I'll have to make a special point to do so now. Sigh...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”