Jury duty in Houston tomorrow

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

OneGun
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Jury duty in Houston tomorrow

Post by OneGun »

allisji wrote: There was a part of me that wanted to serve on a trial jury. But I didn't want to spend 4 valuable days of my life doing it...
On the other hand, you are about to get an education in our judicial system. From my experience, being on a jury is less stressful than having to testify in court. As part of my employment with a consulting firm, I occasionally have to testify in civil matters to report to the court my opinions and conclusions of my investigations. Sitting in the jury box is much easier than having an attorney cross-examine you for hours over trivial things like the selection of a particular adjective or noun. The worst is when an attorney tries to infer an incredulous relationship between two unrelated facts.

While you can't talk about the case until after you and your fellow jurors reach a verdict, please come back and fill us in on your experience. Oh yeah, the defendant is presumed innocent until after the jury reaches a verdict.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by howdy »

I have served on six jury's, everything from a civil trial to a capital murder trial. I ALWAYS get picked. I am a Marine, retire Delta Pilot and a Paramedic. I just don't understand why I get picked. I answer their questions honestly but to the point. I try to look bored and totally non-caring. I still get picked.

I have found that all six jury's were full of good people. They really wanted to be fair and come to the correct verdict. My last trial was a civil trial involving a landlord/tenant relationship. They were also ex lovers. They wasted 5 days of our time and five days driving from Katy into downtown Houston. We gave neither party a dime and admonished the plaintiff lawyer for filing this frivolous case. (he wanted to hear how we came to a verdict and we did nothing but tell him what a complete waste of air he was.)
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

rotor

Post by rotor »

My experience
High school kid is being charged for assaulting a police officer. Good kid working part time is told his mother has been injured. Kid's step dad has just beat the crud out of her and police are there. Kid rushes home from work, cop on porch of his home refuses to let kid go into see his mom, he pushes by the cop whose glasses fall and break and next thing kid is arrested. One month later the cop is no longer a cop and we don't know why.
This is a serious charge and a good kid that did what seems to me to be a natural reaction is about to get scarred for life. We are discussing this in the jury room and the jury wanted to find him guilty because he did "assault" the cop. He pushed by the cop to get into his home to see his mother. The cops glasses fell and broke. I did not feel that this was appropriate and it was not hard to convince the jury members to find him not guilty. And this was my lesson. It was easy to convince these members that the kid was guilty and it was easy to convince them that he was not.
This was not a drug runner or a kid with a record. Just a good kid, holding a part time job, loved his mom and couldn't get into his own house to see her after she took a beating. If I had not been on the jury I think this kid would have had his life ruined. All of us that think that there is some fairness in the system need to be forewarned. I don't know if the step dad was charged. I don't know why this case even made it to the courts.

How would you find?

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

I have served on two juries in my life time the latest one was about 20 years ago now. In that civil case we heard a case about a Sante Fe freight train struck a pickup killing the driver. We found American Airlines neglectant, it lasted two weeks and I found it very interesting. I found out there is always more than two or three or four sides to a story. American was fined a substantial amount if I remember correctly... $500.00

The other jury I sat on was also a civil case and it also lasted two weeks. It was a malpractice suite against a doctor and we the jury found for the doctor. The Houston Oiler cheerleader just wasn't credible.

Then there was one where I knew the DPS Trooper, I was dismissed immediately!

Jury duty is very interesting.

I would glady serve any time they ask.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

Syntyr wrote: There truly are stupid people in this world.
:iagree:
Russ
kw5kw

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

howdy wrote:I have served on six jury's, everything from a civil trial to a capital murder trial. I ALWAYS get picked. I am a Marine, retire Delta Pilot and a Paramedic. I just don't understand why I get picked. I answer their questions honestly but to the point. I try to look bored and totally non-caring. I still get picked..
I asked after the first jury how that works as I didn't know either and wondered... so I asked.

The reply was you didn't get picked, you were the leftovers. Starting with the first person in line (who is potential juror number one) going down to the last person in the pool, the defense, prosecution and the judge have a number of "strikes." (watch DR Bull on TV) So if the defense doesn't like you, then you are struck. If the prosecution doesn't like you then you are struck. The judge also has strikes. Now the number of strikes would vary with he number of jurors needed and the size of the people in the pool.

A third time, after we were all lined up outside the courtroom (in the order we were called downstairs in the jury room) the bailiff came out and "re-arranged" our order before we were taken inside to the voir-dare (sic). Just before we were to go inside to start the litigants came to an agreement and settled (another civil case). I have no idea what the case was about. The lawyers must have looked at the cards and wanted to do some adjusting. I can't remember what number I was here at all.

You must have noticed the lawyers concentrated most of their questions to the first 20 or so, they were working on who they did NOT want on the jury. I can't remember my numbers in both of my cases but I was always about half way with 14 jurors being chosen (12 plus 2 alternates. I would hate being an alternate, set there and listen to the whole thing without getting to offer your opinion, that would just plain suck!) I was never one of the alternates being 8 or 10 something like that (both trials were over 20 years ago now.) I was voted foreman in the AA/Sante Fe case.

howdy wrote: I have found that all six jury's were full of good people. They really wanted to be fair and come to the correct verdict. My last trial was a civil trial involving a landlord/tenant relationship. They were also ex lovers. They wasted 5 days of our time and five days driving from Katy into downtown Houston. We gave neither party a dime and admonished the plaintiff lawyer for filing this frivolous case. (he wanted to hear how we came to a verdict and we did nothing but tell him what a complete waste of air he was.)
I used to think my time was wasted in jury duty; that was before I served on my first jury. I learned a lot about migraine headaches and drugs used to treat them and their side effects and what happens if you ignore the doctor's orders.

I also learned a lot about cause and effect. The pickup driver saw the train, the driver was trying to beat the train, there just wasn't an enforceable STOP sign on the gate. That fact left American Airlines liable.

You are also NOT allowed to do any investigating on our own or talking to anyone about the case until the verdict is read in open court.
Hollywood makes movies showing how a juror goes out and does his own investigation to come to his/her decision... That is STRICTLY forbidden. ((Just FYI.))
Last edited by kw5kw on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russ
kw5kw

Teamless
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Teamless »

howdy wrote:I have served on six jury's, everything from a civil trial to a capital murder trial. I ALWAYS get picked. I am a Marine, retire Delta Pilot and a Paramedic. I just don't understand why I get picked. I answer their questions honestly but to the point. I try to look bored and totally non-caring. I still get picked.
I have been called 3 or 4 times, been through Voir Dire (sp) 2 times and while my seat number was 14 and was not asked any questions of any kind, I was disqualified (of course they don't specify why).
that was frustrating, as I wanted to participate in the system...
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pariah3j »

So far, I've only been summoned for Jury Duty once. I showed up, got put in a jury selection and we were about to go to Voir-dire when the Judge stepped out. She explained that the case had been stopped due to a last-minute injunction - the Judge explained that it was a civil case between relatives for an estate that didn't have a proper will in place, and both parties appeared to have a somewhat limited but legitimate claim to the Estate. But before the case we had been selected could be argued, there was some motion that had to be reviewed and argued before our case could move forward. So we were dismissed and thanked for our 'potential' service.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

I hope I get picked one day. The government doesn't trust me to carry as a juror, so I don't trust the testimony of anybody who carries as a witness.

Meanwhile I bring a book when I'm called to serve and I'm usually done by noon or one the same day.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

BBYC wrote:I hope I get picked one day. The government doesn't trust me to carry as a juror, so I don't trust the testimony of anybody who carries as a witness. ...
The sides in a civil trial can become quite heated, and in a criminal trial you have, quite possibly, a very violent person on trial for (fill in the blank).

I would not want to take the chance of anyone getting out of control in those very tight confines.

No, the only people who need to be armed in the courtroom is the bailiff and the judge.
Russ
kw5kw

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

kw5kw wrote:I would not want to take the chance of anyone getting out of control in those very tight confines.

No, the only people who need to be armed in the courtroom is the bailiff and the judge.
:iagree: Definitely not anybody testifying against the defendant!
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Topic author
allisji
Posts in topic: 8

Post by allisji »

Can an off-duty LEO legally carry a handgun into a courtroom as a juror?
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Teamless
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Teamless »

allisji wrote:Can an off-duty LEO legally carry a handgun into a courtroom as a juror?
As you would be carrying as a private citizen under your LTC authority, the answer would be no.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

allisji wrote:because of my outstanding levels of relevant experience and my amazing record of high achievement I have been selected to report for Jury duty tomorrow in Houston.

Having never been summonsed for Jury duty before I don't know what to expect.

Based on my limited knowledge I plan to do the following:

1. Eat breakfast before I go. 2. Arrive early to get a parking spot in the garage. 3. Leave my gun in the car as I assume that it would be a great inconvenience for me to carry it to Jury duty.

About number 3: Is the "Jury Assembly Building" off-limits? If not, then I would assume that handgun carry is not a problem unless I'm selected as a juror, in which case I would have to disarm to enter the courthouse. Are there accomodations for a juror to disarm before entering the courthouse or would I have to return to my car to lock it up?

Any experience from Harris County jurors would be appreciated.
An LTC holder will not be allowed to carry a concealed or open handgun according to S46.03 (a) (3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;

The jury assembly area or room(s) would be construed as offices utilized by the courts.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
allisji
Posts in topic: 8

Post by allisji »

twomillenium wrote:
allisji wrote:because of my outstanding levels of relevant experience and my amazing record of high achievement I have been selected to report for Jury duty tomorrow in Houston.

Having never been summonsed for Jury duty before I don't know what to expect.

Based on my limited knowledge I plan to do the following:

1. Eat breakfast before I go. 2. Arrive early to get a parking spot in the garage. 3. Leave my gun in the car as I assume that it would be a great inconvenience for me to carry it to Jury duty.

About number 3: Is the "Jury Assembly Building" off-limits? If not, then I would assume that handgun carry is not a problem unless I'm selected as a juror, in which case I would have to disarm to enter the courthouse. Are there accomodations for a juror to disarm before entering the courthouse or would I have to return to my car to lock it up?

Any experience from Harris County jurors would be appreciated.
An LTC holder will not be allowed to carry a concealed or open handgun according to S46.03 (a) (3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;

The jury assembly area or room(s) would be construed as offices utilized by the courts.
Yes, I agree with this. I had just read that section for myself and noticed the inclusions of offices utilized by the courts.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”