Smooth fingerprints rejected

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
STR8-SHOT
Posts in topic: 3

Smooth fingerprints rejected

Post by STR8-SHOT »

Has anyone dealt with having their fingerprints submitted and rejected by DPS twice for not being readable?

I have a 77yo student who is taking my LTC class this weekend. She submitted her application early, and had her initial fingerprints rejected for being unreadable, then rejected again after having them redone at a different location (each contractor repeatedly tried their best before submitting the best scan). She’s lived at the same Texas address for over 50 years and has no criminal history.

She talked to several different DPS RSD contacts in different departments after getting bounced around and none knew what to do other than to say she wouldn’t be able to get her LTC without submitting her scanned fingerprints through the contractor. DPS said they will only review up to two fingerprint submissions per application and that she will likely need to submit a new a application (and fee) with no guarantee that subsequent fingerprints will be accepted.

They also said to go ahead and submit her Form LTC-100 from this weekend with her current application and see what happens. It seems like they would have dealt with this issue before and there would be an alternative solution.

David

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Smooth fingerprints rejected

Post by Abraham »

David,

Time before last renewal my prints were rejected twice in a row.

Methinks it's a way for the powers that be to stall when they get behind.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

My mom was in the same boat. I think after 2 tries they waived her thru.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

infoman

Post by infoman »

They have to go to the contractor company twice, but shouldn’t have to go 3 times. After 2 times, they take her “as is”.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I believe this is incorrect on rejecting. I think I remember DPS saying there are some people that just don't fingerprint well and after 2 tries they will just pass them as best available.

Note to add: As I was typing this Info man confirmed it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
STR8-SHOT

Post by STR8-SHOT »

Thanks for all the replies! Encouraging info that I’ll pass along to her and we’ll hope for the best.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Common sense approach would be that if the DPS contractor can't get it on 2 tries then DPS needs to print her the old fashioned way. (at no additional expense)

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

When I got my first LTC (CHL) the instructor had us rub our fingertips on a piece of carpet vigorously to make the prints work better. I'm still not sure how that was supposed to help other than taking off the skin oils.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

Not DPS but Feds: On their computer file, my Global Entry profile says "Prints waived."
TX CHL 1997

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

(Finger)tips for success:

-- To the extent possible, don't shower, wash hands, or handle items for a period of time prior to the fingerprinting appointment. This is kind of gross from a hygiene perspective, but it minimizes normal erosion of the outer layer of skin and maybe can help enhance the prints as a result.

-- The fingerprinting center probably has a spray bottle of some liquid (water or whatever) that they can apply to the applicant's fingers to help raise the skin ridges, as skin absorbs moisture (think prune fingers in the bath).

-- Make sure the fingerprint-taker is not experiencing his or her first rodeo. A skilled technician can help to overcome smooth print difficulties. Green technicians will struggle more.

-- Know the law. On the federal side, a number of years ago I was told that federal agencies must adhere to a "three strikes" rule. If they don't get proper quality control in three tries, they have to waive the requirement. I was told this while going through immigration procedures. At the time, I was living in Austin and the INS field office was in San Antonio. They made me drive down three times because of successively-rejected prints. On my third road trip I was becoming frustrated and I asked, "When does this end?!" They replied "Now" and explained that the federal government had been sued by an individual who had a severed finger. The person's application kept getting rejected repeatedly because the applicant was only ever able to deliver 9 fingerprints. Reportedly, it took a lawsuit to stop that nonsense.

As to what the law is at the state level in Texas at this time, that I could not tell you. I got fingerprinted yesterday at an Identogo, and ran into the same trouble I've always had, as the scanning machine kept saying "rejected" or whatever. But the technician was experienced, and with water application plus scanning them over and over and over again, HOPEFULLY the resulting set will be accepted. Finger(tips) crossed.

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

I took my father to have his finger prints done twice. The first time they were rejected. The second time (at no cost) they were rejected again, but about two or three days later his plastic arrived.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

I haven't been on the forum for a while but I thought I would chime in. My wife has basically no fingerprints. She was scanned twice for her first license, both rejected. DPS then does a "name check" and she gets her license.

Then it was renewal time several months ago. DPS wanted her fingerprints again, and predictably failed. The fingerprint vendor insisted she needed to be scanned again. DPS said no. License renewed. Unfortunately there's a bunch of uninformed people giving wrong answers - we got conflicting advice both from the vendor and DPS on both occasions.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Topic author
STR8-SHOT

Post by STR8-SHOT »

Thanks for all the input! The follow up to my story is that the student emailed me yesterday saying she received her permit without any issue. Good news for others who might not have good fingerprints.

David

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Mrs. Oldgringo's fingerprints were rejected 4 times, over 160 days, on her first application. It took a call to our state senator to get her license released...that was some 12 years ago.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”