CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TheFriscoKid
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Texas Laws on Civil Liability

Post by TheFriscoKid »

Can anyone, especially an attorney, please explain what part of Texas law is in effect according to these two statutes. They seem to be in conflict. Thank you.

Sec. 9.06. CIVIL REMEDIES UNAFFECTED. The fact that conduct is justified under this chapter does not abolish or impair any remedy for the conduct that is available in a civil suit.

Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

puma guy

Re: Texas Laws on Civil Liability

Post by puma guy »

Probably best to ask your lawyer. I don't know about others here, but would not want to give you an interpretation that could be construed as legal advice. I doubt any one else here will either.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Please read this thread. It discusses this topic

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... Y#p1180313

Edited to add: I interpret the sign to me mean "No Shooting" firearms or BB Guns.
I guess they forgot about pellet guns. :cool:
Last edited by WildBill on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

MunchmaQuchi wrote:Can anyone, especially an attorney, please explain what part of Texas law is in effect according to these two statutes. They seem to be in conflict. Thank you.

Sec. 9.06. CIVIL REMEDIES UNAFFECTED. The fact that conduct is justified under this chapter does not abolish or impair any remedy for the conduct that is available in a civil suit.

Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.
My take on it is that 9.06 says your civil remedies are not abolished or impaired. However 83.001 says civil liability for personal injury or death is NOT one of the remedies available, so it doesn't need to be abolished or impaired by 9.06, because it is already precluded.

Now I'm standing by for the Texas Bar to accuse me of practicing law without a license for posting my opinion on a Web Forum. They're probably too busy chasing down LegalZoom, Nolo.com, and LTC instructors who teach for compensation. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

ScottDLS wrote:...

Now I'm standing by for the Texas Bar to accuse me of practicing law without a license for posting my opinion on a Web Forum. They're probably too busy chasing down LegalZoom, Nolo.com, and LTC instructors who teach for compensation. :evil2:
Hmm. Clearly a rule #22 is needed to cover blatant, global, or, rampant lawyer bashing.

I would further propose that a rule #23 should prohibit use of the Oxford comma too. But that's me.

ELB

Post by ELB »

This is probably a better link to an answer by someone who knows:
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30408

My take on it: if you shoot someone in justified self-defense, he or his survivors can sue you, but if you show in the civil suit Your use of force was legally justified, you cannot be held liable for the perpetrators losses.
USAF 1982-2005

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

warnmar10 wrote: I would further propose that a rule #23 should prohibit use of the Oxford comma too. But that's me.
Might want to rethink that. The confusion you avert may be your own.

an example from GRAMMARLY.COM;
Unless you’re writing for a particular publication or drafting an essay for school, whether or not you use the Oxford comma is generally up to you. However, omitting it can sometimes cause some strange misunderstandings.

I love my parents, Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty.
Without the Oxford comma, the sentence above could be interpreted as stating that you love your parents, and your parents are Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty. Here’s the same sentence with the Oxford comma:

I love my parents, Lady Gaga, and Humpty Dumpty.
As you can see, sometimes it DOES make a difference. "rlol"
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

You can be sued by anyone, anywhere, anytime. What happens after that has infinite alternatives.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

ScottDLS wrote:
MunchmaQuchi wrote:Can anyone, especially an attorney, please explain what part of Texas law is in effect according to these two statutes. They seem to be in conflict. Thank you.

My take on it is that 9.06 says your civil remedies are not abolished or impaired. However 83.001 says civil liability for personal injury or death is NOT one of the remedies available, so it doesn't need to be abolished or impaired by 9.06, because it is already precluded.

So if I understand the apparent conflict it says you can be sued but if your actions are found to be justified and lawful during the criminal investigation and your lawyer presents that to the court the case should be then immediately dismissed?

How much leeway does this leave a judge to allow the case to proceed anyway?
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

TheFriscoKid wrote:Can anyone, especially an attorney, please explain what part of Texas law is in effect according to these two statutes. They seem to be in conflict. Thank you.

Not an attorney, but this is how I understand & differentiate between the two:

Section 9.06 is from the PENAL code (Chapter 9 of the Texas Penal Code); it is basically saying that it only provides justification or defenses regarding CRIMINAL prosecution, & for civil matters you should look at the civil code.

Section 83.001 is from the CIVIL code (Civil Practices & Remedies Code). It references Chapter 9 of the Penal Code, and establishes that you are immune from civil liability if your use of force/deadly force was justified under Chapter 9.

Others have already commented on the ability to sue, or attempt to sue, for anything. So yes, someone could attempt to sue you even if your use of force was justified, but 83.001 should render it a moot point.

E10

Post by E10 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:As you can see, sometimes it DOES make a difference. "rlol"
It ALWAYS makes a difference for CDO guys like me. (CDO? It's just like OCD, but in alphabetical order, as it should be.)

Can we sue people who don't use the Oxford comma? Maybe, too, those that misuse apostrophes in possessive pronouns. :rules:

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

E10 wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:As you can see, sometimes it DOES make a difference. "rlol"
It ALWAYS makes a difference for CDO guys like me. (CDO? It's just like OCD, but in alphabetical order, as it should be.)

Can we sue people who don't use the Oxford comma? Maybe, too, those that misuse apostrophes in possessive pronouns. :rules:
I am a major proponent of the Oxford comma. While I understand that it is optional, it really makes the meaning of lists much clearer. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

ScottDLS wrote:I am a major proponent of the Oxford comma. While I understand that it is optional, it really makes the meaning of lists much clearer. :rules:
:iagree:

I had to go look up "Oxford comma". I've been using it since I was in elementary school. I just didn't know it had a fancy name.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”