Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

montgomery
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Stop the Bleed

Post by montgomery »

BBYC wrote: I suggest buying from a reputable company
:iagree:

I can vouch for https://www.rescue-essentials.com/softt ... ourniquet/

In fact, when the USPS lost my shipment of the SOFTT-W Gen 4 in December 2017, they replaced the order with no questions, no hassle, and no charge.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jago668 wrote:Caleb Causey from Lone Star Medics recommends either the SOFFT-W or the CAT. I believe both are given the green light by TCCC. I find the SOFFT-W easier to put on others, and the CAT easier to put on self. Just from practicing with them both.
That sounds about like my recollection, and I liked the CAT too when we took his Medic I class. But for our home trauma bag and our IFAKs, we bought the SOFFT-Ws because my wife preferred that one over the CAT.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 6

Post by troglodyte »

Jago668 wrote:Caleb Causey from Lone Star Medics recommends either the SOFFT-W or the CAT. I believe both are given the green light by TCCC. I find the SOFFT-W easier to put on others, and the CAT easier to put on self. Just from practicing with them both.
Yes, both are TCCC and have seen use and success in theater.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott B. »

I've got both versions in my main range bag blowout kit. Have also recently updated the kits I've got in the vehicles and at home. Added new tourniquets and a bigger rescue hammer.

Looking to pick up some combat gauze packs and vented chest seals for those kits.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 6

Post by troglodyte »

Hemostatic gauze (QuikClot) works where tourniquets do not and is easy to carry
Our EMS doesn't carry hemostatic gauze on their trucks. I think they did at one time but they said plain gauze and transport works just as well. Use a TQ on the limbs, pack and compress joint/body junctions, transport thoracic and abdominal asap since there is not much anyone besides a surgeon can do.

For lay people he said to do what we wanted, it wouldn't hurt to use hemostatic gauze, but it also expires so that may be an unnecessary expense every few years.

If out in the sticks where aid may be hours or longer away hemostatics would seem to be the way to go.

The key to any gauze when packing wounds is to do that, pack the wound tight and full. That forms a tight plug. Then compress and wrap, if possible, to keep the plug in place. I'm speaking as if I really know something when I'm really just repeating what we were instructed.

Stop the Bleed is primarily focused on events that happen where help is not far away. If a person is in a remote location or where help is not coming for a while you would need to adjust your treatment accordingly.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I picked up a CAT tourniquet at the 5.11 store in Frisco myself. They have a great selection of stuff these days. It’s in my everyday carry bag.

I also did stop the bleed at work, it’s a great training generally speaking. I would suggest it for anyone/everyone, and especially if you carry daily, just in case.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

oljames3
Posts in topic: 5

Post by oljames3 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I picked up a CAT tourniquet at the 5.11 store in Frisco myself. They have a great selection of stuff these days. It’s in my everyday carry bag.

I also did stop the bleed at work, it’s a great training generally speaking. I would suggest it for anyone/everyone, and especially if you carry daily, just in case.
:iagree:
I carry my SOFTT-W every day. A two hour class is a good start, but not sufficient by itself. Just as with handgun training, a good start should be followed by more training and practice.

The Red Cross is a good start. Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED is 6 hours for $102. https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class

Then on to penetrating trauma, such as gunshot wounds. I took Caleb Causy's Medicine X-EDC; 2 days, $400. http://lonestarmedics.com/medicine-x-edc/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

WildRose
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildRose »

Just a note here.

The use of quick clot or similar agents is not recommended unless the patient is five or more hours away from an ER/Trauma Center.

It works but it also causes a lot of problems for the surgeons when they get the patient in the ER.

Direct Pressure or a tourniquet are the preferred methods for stopping bleeding.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

WildRose wrote:Just a note here.

The use of quick clot or similar agents is not recommended unless the patient is five or more hours away from an ER/Trauma Center.

It works but it also causes a lot of problems for the surgeons when they get the patient in the ER.

Direct Pressure or a tourniquet are the preferred methods for stopping bleeding.
Even the newer impregnated gauze kind? Just curious. I've heard of problems trying to get the powder cleared out.
NRA Benefactor Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

troglodyte wrote:We held a Stop the Bleed class at our congregation yesterday. Very good information and hands-on training. If a person is squirting bright red blood they only have about 3 minutes to live.

Very simple and the equipment doesn't have to cost a lot. Sure, the CAT (or similar) tourniquets ($30.00ish) are nice but just having a $2.00 package of gauze (4.5" x 4 yds) will work just as well and treat up to 2-3 people. Our crew even stressed the ability to think and improvise with materials that you have if you're caught without a TQ or gauze or you have multiple casualties.

The CAT TQ is compact, fast, and easy to self-apply. The gauze is just as effective but is a little slower and a little more difficult to self-apply.

I would encourage you to find or host a class. It was 2 hours well spent and very well could save someone's, or your own, life.
It’s great that you guys did this, and kudos for training others, but a little perspective is necessary..... If you have bright red blood spurting from a majorly artery like the femoral, subclavian, brachial, carotid, popliteal arteries, then yeah your life expectancy is much shortened without a tourniquet or pressure. But a small scalp artery (of which there are many), or a small artery in a finger or foot will also squirt bright red blood, and they are not going to kill you in 3 minutes. One of the miracles of the human body is that it can lose astounding amounts of blood and still survive if aid is rendered in that golden hour.

For anyone who lives in the DFW area, I recommend Caleb Causey of Lonestar Medics’ two day Medic 1 class.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3
Posts in topic: 5

Post by oljames3 »

+1 for Lone Star Medics. A 1 or 2 hour class is a great start, but it should not be the end of training. I took Caleb Causey's 2 day Medicine X - EDC http://lonestarmedics.com/medicine-x-edc/. It is equivalent with the Combat Life Saver certification training I had on active duty with the US Army, but with shooting and tactical exercises. Well worth the time and money.
http://blog.krtraining.com/medicine-x-e ... -2017-aar/
I'm the guy in the white shirt. ;-)

The late Paul Gomez said it well, "watching someone you love die sucks."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6b1v9lcmG0
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Jago668 wrote:

Even the newer impregnated gauze kind? Just curious. I've heard of problems trying to get the powder cleared out.
Yep. Both cauterize the wound.

The powder is flat dangerous to use outside so I'd avoid it altogether except in the most dire emergencies. If you get any of it in the eyes or inhale it, it can cause serious problems.
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

WildRose wrote:
Jago668 wrote:

The powder is flat dangerous to use outside so I'd avoid it altogether except in the most dire emergencies. If you get any of it in the eyes or inhale it, it can cause serious problems.
While it's likely that there's still lots of the older generation stuff tucked away in people's trauma bags, according to their website the Quickclot available today (for the past 8 years) doesn't generate heat. The type that did generate heat created ALOT of heat, to the point you'd have to use lots of gauze, bandages, or something between it and the hand you were applying direct pressure with (at least the powdered version).

From their website:

"QuikClot® devices are impregnated with kaolin, an inorganic mineral that accelerates the body’s natural clotting ability, and produces no exothermic reaction."

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Mike S wrote:
WildRose wrote:
Jago668 wrote:

While it's likely that there's still lots of the older generation stuff tucked away in people's trauma bags, according to their website the Quickclot available today (for the past 8 years) doesn't generate heat. The type that did generate heat created ALOT of heat, to the point you'd have to use lots of gauze, bandages, or something between it and the hand you were applying direct pressure with (at least the powdered version).

From their website:

"QuikClot® devices are impregnated with kaolin, an inorganic mineral that accelerates the body’s natural clotting ability, and produces no exothermic reaction."
That's definitely good to know.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”