Carter Blood Care Bus

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dreamer42
Posts in topic: 1

Carter Blood Care Bus

Post by Dreamer42 »

Our church had the Carter Bus Sunday. While I was donating, I sat across an interesting sign. It was the typical Glock gun buster. But below an English and Spanish language sign was the words "Pursuant to HB 30-06 & 30-07". There is no way this can be legal, right?

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Carter Blood Care Bus

Post by Pawpaw »

Hybrid signs do not meet the letter or intent of the law. They seem to be popular at hospitals.
Junk Sign.jpg
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Pawpaw ,

What do mean by 'hybrid signs'?

Thanks!

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Abraham wrote:Pawpaw ,

Thanks!
The sign in the OP's post combines parts of the text of both 30.06 and 30.07, thus creating a hybrid sign that does not comply with either 30.06 or 30.07.
Last edited by oljames3 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

oljames3 wrote:
Abraham wrote:Pawpaw ,

Thanks!
The sign in the OP's post combines parts of the text of both 30.06 and 30.07, thus creating a hybrid sign that does not comply with either 30.06 or 30.07.
:thumbs2:
Last edited by Pawpaw on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Pawpaw wrote:Hybrid signs do not meet the letter or intent of the law. They seem to be popular at hospitals.
Junk Sign.jpg
To paraphrase Leroy Van Dyke, I'd "Just Walk on By" that sign.
Psalm 91:2

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I open carried on a Carter Blood Drive bus at my church several months ago and not a word was said to me. It also had the invalid sign. But I was in my security uniform. :smilelol5:
Ron
NRA Member

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

You are technically trespassing and may be asked to leave where hybrid signs are posted but unless you refuse to do so when asked are not at risk of any sort of legal jeopardy.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

WildRose wrote:You are technically trespassing and may be asked to leave where hybrid signs are posted but unless you refuse to do so when asked are not at risk of any sort of legal jeopardy.
I don't think you are trespassing unless/until they ask you to leave and you refuse.
The hybrid sign has no force of law.

IMO. Not legal advice.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

RoyGBiv wrote:
WildRose wrote:You are technically trespassing and may be asked to leave where hybrid signs are posted but unless you refuse to do so when asked are not at risk of any sort of legal jeopardy.
I don't think you are trespassing unless/until they ask you to leave and you refuse.

IMO. Not legal advice.
You are correct but we're saying the same thing in two different ways.
If the sign is posted it is legal notice that firearms are not welcomed thus you are technically trespassing if carrying.

Unless however they ask you to leave and you refuse to do so you are in no legal jeopardy.

Not being a lawyer I may not be stating it in proper legalese but to be clear, in order to be prosecuted on the charge you would have to be told to leave and refuse.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

WildRose wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

IMO. Not legal advice.
You are correct but we're saying the same thing in two different ways.
If the sign is posted it is legal notice that firearms are not welcomed thus you are technically trespassing if carrying.

Unless however they ask you to leave and you refuse to do so you are in no legal jeopardy.

Not being a lawyer I may not be stating it in proper legalese but to be clear, in order to be prosecuted on the charge you would have to be told to leave and refuse.
No, you are not "technically" trespassing until they ask you to leave. The hybrid sign is not an enforceable sign any more than a gun buster sign. It may show their wishes but it holds no weight of law. The law is very specific on 30.06 and 30.07 posting. Now, once they ask you to leave, if you refuse, it becomes trespassing.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I have a different question.

The premise of this thread was a bus parked on church property. In that context, do the rights of the real property owners get overridden by the owner of the vehicle? My vivid imagination wants to look at the situation in much larger context. How about if the bus is parked at Wal-Mart? Can a bus owner park on private property and overrule any of the other rights of the land owner? If I park my RV at Wal-Mart, can I do the same?

Regarding the hybrid sign, our police chief has been very clear. His officers will compare the wording to what is listed in the TPC and if there isn't a match, no action will be taken. That said, if you are in someone's bus regardless of reason and they ask you to leave, regardless of why, I'm guessing that at least a disorderly conduct charge could be possible.

For my money, Carter is the epitome of the Liberal mentality who want what they want and are willing to bend the rules to try to get it. They are no different from the government officials who deliberately flaunt the Attonery General's rulings. I was a mult-gallon donor and have not given a drop since they posted their brick and mortar locations. I have to deal with the government. I don't have to deal with Carter.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

chasfm11 wrote:For my money, Carter is the epitome of the Liberal mentality who want what they want and are willing to bend the rules to try to get it. They are no different from the government officials who deliberately flaunt the Attonery General's rulings. I was a mult-gallon donor and have not given a drop since they posted their brick and mortar locations. I have to deal with the government. I don't have to deal with Carter.
:iagree: I achieved 50 gallons of lifetime donations to Carter (starting when they were Wadley Blood Center, before the name change). Just as I reached the 50 gallon mark, they posted the .06 and .07 signs. I wrote a courteous letter to both the donation center where I was known by my first name, and the main office. Details here: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... r&start=15

I got a call back from the donation center manager who was also upset about the signs - her father-in-law had CHL/LTC. Never got a response from the main office. And I've never crossed their threshold again.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Thanks all for the info about hybrid signs = gun buster signs, but why would they post them at all, given donors are just that...donors.

Aggravate me (especially in rural locations) with such signage and kiss my donation good-bye.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Many posts here about Carter and their 30.06/07 signs. Although the bus was not legally posted the company has pretty well made it clear they don't want your business. You think you are being a good person donating and they look at you as a business bringing money in. If you do not patronize businesses that post then don't patronize Carter. Carter is not in the blood business as a charity. They technically are a non-profit but they are still just a business with well paid employees and the usual retirement plan, etc. If you need their blood it will not be free and will actually be quite expensive. The only way to influence a business that posting is not a good idea is to boycott if they post. Your choice.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”