steering column carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abigfoot
Posts in topic: 1

steering column carry

Post by Abigfoot »

Hello - I'm new to the LTC world. My wife and both have our TX LTC now and a question I forgot to ask the instructor at our class was, can I have my handgun on a steering column holster while driving, instead of on my belt?

This also applies to my wife who carries in a CC purse, but while driving in our remote area alone, would like to have the firearm easily accessible on the steering column versus the CC purse. I remember the instructor stating "on or about", but then the thought occurred to me about it having to be on a shoulder/belt holster....

Thank you for your help!

skeathley

Re: steering column carry

Post by skeathley »

If you have a police stop (traffic stop or other contact), and the LEO can see your gun from outside of the car, you will be arrested. The gun has to be "not in plain sight".

:rules:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I hate this law. We can have a rifle or shotgun on the dashboard or in the back window in plain sight but we can’t have a pistol in plain sight? What is the reason pistols are so feared?

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Whether it's legal or not, is it a good idea? I'm assuming you're not leaving the gun in the car, and you're transferring it to another holster on your body before you exit the car. Every time you unholster and reholster the gun (especially in the tight confines of a car) you're increasing the odds of a negligent discharge.

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

cmgee67 wrote:I hate this law. We can have a rifle or shotgun on the dashboard or in the back window in plain sight but we can’t have a pistol in plain sight? What is the reason pistols are so feared?
The law was originally passed because Carpetbaggers and Klansmen didn't want freedmen to have a convenient means of self defense outside their homes. Without evidence to the contrary, I can only assume similar motives keep laws on the books to infringe the right to keep and bear arms.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

My S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch lives in its Safariland ALS holster. I use the Safariland Quick Lock System (QLS) to attach the holster to my belt. I carry my pistol openly but remove it from my belt when I drive SWMBO's car. She says I must not damage her leather seats. So, when I enter her car, I easily detach the ALS from it QLS mount on my belt and stow it in the door pocket. When I exit the car, I easily reattach the ALS to the QLS. I am quite comfortable with this method.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”