CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Two pistols left unattended at UT

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

This is why we can’t have nice things. Luckily, no incident in either case.

http://kxan.com/2018/02/21/two-handguns ... -campuses/
In the past two days, the University of Texas at Austin Police Department has found two handguns left behind by their owners at two different buildings on two different campuses.
Should these two individuals be charged?
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

TreyHouston

Re: Two pistols left unattended at UT

Post by TreyHouston »

Reckless endangerment (texas)
(a) A person commits an offense if he recklessly engages in conduct that places another in imminent danger of serious bodily injury. ... (e) An offense under Subsection (a) is a Class A misdemeanor. An offense under Subsection (b) is a felony of the third degree.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

Hmmm? I wonder how many unattended guns were not reported?

Gun ownership; especially CHL ownership, requires a certain level of maturity and responsibility. Leaving ones 'eargesplitten loudenboomer' in the potty brings that level of maturity and responsibility into question. We've all had to really 'go' at one time and place or another away from home but, how many of us have left our gun in/on the potty? Charges, I dunno'?

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Not to worry, there was no danger since only AR15's are capable of perpetrating wanton mayhem and death.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

tool4daman

Post by tool4daman »

TreyHouston wrote:Reckless endangerment (texas)
(a) A person commits an offense if he recklessly engages in conduct that places another in imminent danger of serious bodily injury. ... (e) An offense under Subsection (a) is a Class A misdemeanor. An offense under Subsection (b) is a felony of the third degree.
Trey- what statute is that? Is that 22.05 Deadly Conduct?
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Try this on for size -- an elementary school was on campus and in that building for a field trip. Now you've made it available to a minor.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Are the law enforcement officers who do it charged?

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Try this on for size -- an elementary school was on campus and in that building for a field trip. Now you've made it available to a minor.
IDK! I just googled reckless endangerment texas and this is what poped up. :thumbs2:

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

Wouldn't the handgun have to come alive and put someone in imminent danger of serious bodily injury????? (they have been rumored to do just that) Just being around a firearm does not put one in danger.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

But this happened in Austin.... it wouldn’t stick but I bet thats what the DA would try to charge him-her with.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Only if a child gains access to the firearm!
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Both handguns were left and retrieved from the police by women. This is only an observation. Nothing else. It's great that more women are carrying, but please be more careful.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

Sniff, sniff. Smells funny.
Just some guy's opinion.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

twomillenium wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Only if a child gains access to the firearm!
I'm on the edge of logic, which some DA's might not have a problem trying out... I agree it's a stretch

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”