Concealed Carry in Library

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

Concealed Carry in Library

Post by LSUTiger »

I am sure this has been answered somewhere before but I can’t find it.

Can you legally conceal carry in the Fort Bend County Libraries? They are posted with 46.03/46.035 iirc. But are they correctly posted? Not in the sense of correct signage rules but in the sense of do they meet the applicability of 46.03?

Are they public or private and do they meet the definition of an institution of higher learning?

http://www.fortbend.lib.tx.us/
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

RoyGBiv

Re: Concealed Carry in Library

Post by RoyGBiv »

I believe 30.06 is required to exclude LTC. And if the library is owned by the municipality, LTC cannot be excluded.

Just my opinion. IANAL
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

eyet

Post by eyet »

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Interesting reading.

My concern in carrying past an obviously invalid sign is that since it comes from the county that FBCSO or Richmond PD (not sure who's jurisdiction George Library falls under) would more than likely arrest you.

I might make an inquiry to Sheriff Nehl's about this one.
Psalm 91:2

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

LSUTiger wrote:I am sure this has been answered somewhere before but I can’t find it.

Can you legally conceal carry in the Fort Bend County Libraries? They are posted with 46.03/46.035 iirc. But are they correctly posted? Not in the sense of correct signage rules but in the sense of do they meet the applicability of 46.03?

Are they public or private and do they meet the definition of an institution of higher learning?

http://www.fortbend.lib.tx.us/
Checked out this link, and I found in their code of conduct where they prohibit carry of any kind. However, that was written in 2008. I'm guessing they just haven't revised it since then. As far as the signs, I would disregard them. They are not a school. They do not have the correct sign up to prohibit licensed carry, and they are public property, so they are not allowed to prohibit licensed carry. I would go ahead and report it, personally. They are in violation, and they may very well just take the signs down if called on it. If not, report them to the AG.

As always, this is just my opinion. I am not a lawyer, and I am often wrong about a variety of things.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Txtension

Post by Txtension »

I know of a Public Library, that is adjacent to to a middle school. They are posted with similar 46.035, 46.03 signage citing places forbidden, and the activity sponsored by a school verbiage.

Maybe future schools will include public zoos, amusement parks, and city/county-hall and claim that all the activity going on within is sponsored by the school.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Fort Bend County public libraries are part of the Fort Bend County Library System, which is part of/funded by county government/taxes. So no, the postings are not valid. So this is the "same song, second verse" of all the instances of municipal and county governments posting entire buildings that include non-court offices. Or buildings that are government owned but hold no functions proscribed under LTC.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”