CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Pixie123
Posts in topic: 3

Nervous about my proficiency test next week

Post by Pixie123 »

Hi all,
Could you tell me how the proficiency will go to ease my stress? I am a novice. I’ve shot a gun about 3 times in my life. I know the basics of how to load, reload, basic gun safety. Will the test Procter ask me to demonstrate anything special? Also, Im not terribly accurate with my Ruger lcp as I’ve only shot it twice. I could not hit anything past 10 yards. I could barely hit targets at 10 yards. I did fine at 3 yards though.

Just wondering if the Procter will ask me to demonstrate anything specific with my pistol, so that I can be prepared for it.

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Nervous about my proficiency test next week

Post by allisji »

Pixie123 wrote:Hi all,
Could you tell me how the proficiency will go to ease my stress? I am a novice. I’ve shot a gun about 3 times in my life. I know the basics of how to load, reload, basic gun safety. Will the test Procter ask me to demonstrate anything special? Also, Im not terribly accurate with my Ruger lcp as I’ve only shot it twice. I could not hit anything past 10 yards. I could barely hit targets at 10 yards. I did fine at 3 yards though.

Just wondering if the Procter will ask me to demonstrate anything specific with my pistol, so that I can be prepared for it.
If you have a bigger gun than the LCP you should use it, because it will be more accurate.

You will fire a total of 50 rounds over the course of 3 distances; 3 yds, 7 yds, 15 yds. If you stay on target at 3 and 7 yds then you can qualify even if you can't hit the target at 15 yards. You are looking for you are looking for 35 hits out of 50 shots. It's a big target so just aim at the center of mass. The isntructors orders will be very simple. Follow them to the T. Keep your gun pointed downrange at all times and don't mess up on the safety rules. Relax and take your time. You'll be fine.

The instructor will have you load 5 rounds and will give simple instructions to slow fire 5 rounds at the target. A few times he will have you load 6 rounds and fire three sets of "double taps". Don't worry about the speed of your double taps. Fire, then get back on target and fire again.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

You may want to find a range where you can practice the course of fire (details on FAQ page at http://www.dentoncountysports.com) on the B-27 target. The LCPs are not necessarily the best choice for testing due to the short barrel (and lousy sights and trigger on the LCP I). It is typically not all that hard to get at least 175 of the possible 250 points with the first 40 rounds. I had a lady yesterday who shot a score of 232 with her new LCP II. But we had two private practice sessions first of at least 50 rounds each time.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The LCP is kinda small for a newbie to shoot with accuracy, The thing is practice makes perfect. I would ask the instructor if you could rent a gun from him for your qualification. The qualification requires 50 rounds, quite a few for a handgun that has a reputation for being uncomfortable to shoot.

It sounds like you could probably qualify with the skills you have now. You will be shooting at 3, 7, and 15 yards at a pretty large target. If you hit the target reliably at 3 and 7 yards, you won't even need any hits on the 15 yard target.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

When I took the Texas class there were 2 ladies that we were, literally, trembling before the shooting test. Both had only shot once before. Both passed easily.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

This, more or less, is what you will experience.

http://youtu.be/VzLDN_bY0Hs
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

... and here is a printable version:
CHL Qualification Course of Fire .pdf
(72.94 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

Pixie123 wrote:Hi all,
Could you tell me how the proficiency will go to ease my stress? I am a novice. I’ve shot a gun about 3 times in my life. I know the basics of how to load, reload, basic gun safety. Will the test Procter ask me to demonstrate anything special? Also, Im not terribly accurate with my Ruger lcp as I’ve only shot it twice. I could not hit anything past 10 yards.
1) The purpose of the test is to make sure that you understand how your gun works. If you are comfortable loading, operating, and shooting your gun by yourself at the range, you will most likely pass.
2) The time allotted to shoot a particular set sounds fast, but there is plenty of time. Try not to feel the pressure of the shot clock. Take your time, relax, and line up your shots.
3) You can rent or borrow a gun to take the test. Your little LCP is not known for being very easy to shoot or accurate (it's known for being easy to carry). If you decide to use another gun, remember 1) above. You should practice with it before taking the test. I sure like the Glock 19 for being easy find, easy to use, low recoil, and accurate enough.
4) The best way to pacify your nerves and assure that you pass is to shoot 50-200 rounds at the range again. If that doesn't do it, repeat. This is also the secret to getting good.

acronym 3/6/2018 9:37 AM

b4aftr

Post by b4aftr »

You will do fine. No reason to be nervous about it regardless of shooting experience. My advice is pay careful attention during the class itself and even more attention to the instructors commands at the firing line. Follow all safety guidelines and you will be successful. If you have a friend with a slightly larger gun (380/9mm) you will probably feel more comfortable with it as your grip can feel more solid.

Best of luck to you and report back after you pass!

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

I suggest that you go to the range and practice a couple of times before the test, if there is time for you to do so. That will help you relax.

MANY people are nervous during that test. It was sobering for me to hear all of the off-cue shots being fired during my class's test in January of this year.
:shock:

That being said, all of our class participants (about 18 people) passed.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I think you may be in Houston or the surrounding area. I would be happy to meet you at PSC Shooting Club in Friendswood and let you shoot the course for practice, if you wish.

Chas.

Topic author
Pixie123
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pixie123 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I think you may be in Houston or the surrounding area. I would be happy to meet you at PSC Shooting Club in Friendswood and let you shoot the course for practice, if you wish.

Chas.
That would be great. When are you available? What all should I bring? Ammo, and my Ruger? What is the range fee there? Any other fees?

Thanks

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Pixie123 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I think you may be in Houston or the surrounding area. I would be happy to meet you at PSC Shooting Club in Friendswood and let you shoot the course for practice, if you wish.

Chas.
That would be great. When are you available? What all should I bring? Ammo, and my Ruger? What is the range fee there? Any other fees?

Thanks
That would be best, taking instruction from someone who is experienced and qualified. Just the fact that you realize you need some help tells me that you are ready to proceed with success.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I have had a number of people show up to classes lacking a bit in experience and shooting small guns. Tiny semi/snubby usually equals failure on a first attempt. I always hand them a PPQ and let them practice a bit and then watch them ace the exam. I recently started letting them take it on my mk25; I’ve probably “sold” a few of them.

I am in the “it’s the Indian not the arrow” camp to a point; however tiny carry pieces with heavier triggers are REALLY difficult to make consistent hits with at distance. Maybe the range has a rental larger semi or revolver? If so try to have a practice session first.

I have had to “work” with students before and I’ve yet to have anyone not pass proficiency and I take personal protection VERY seriously and do NOT fudge results. I want students to be proud of their target and feel confident in their ability.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Pixie123 wrote:That would be great. When are you available? What all should I bring? Ammo, and my Ruger? What is the range fee there? Any other fees?
PSC is a private club with no fee for bringing a guest. That said, Charles makes a very generous offer as his time is worth far more than even boutique range fees.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”