CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasAggLTC
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Age old debate: LTC Badges

Post by TexasAggLTC »

Believe me,

My preferred method of carry is concealed for all the reasons mentioned above.

Please remember that the original question was ONLY regarding the “impersonating a police officer” issue. I am not arguing that open carry is safer for us LTC holders.. I just wanted to debate the impersonating a LEO issue.

Thanks for all the comments though. :cheers2:

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

allisji wrote:
There are many other reasons why LTCers don't want a badge.

It seems that those who want a badge have settled on Open Carry as the reason why it would be a good idea. Ultimately the argument is that a badge would put the sheeple at ease when they see an openly carried handgun. Why? Because they correlate a badge to the Police.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the badge argument has been around long before Open Carry was legal in Texas. I can only assume that the argument for a badge before Open Carry was legal is effectively the same argument for why Open Carry is effective. In lieu of an openly carried handgun, a badge would indicate that the bearer of the badge is carrying a concealed handgun, thus not an easy target and an effective crime deterrent.

I don't know the laws or court rulings regarding impersonating an LEO, but I would not want to be mistaken for an LEO in an emergency situation. I can think of other ways to indicate my status as an armed citizen if I were so inclined, such as wearing NRA apparel. Though at this point in time I choose to carry concealed and to not indicate my armed status
I am in agreement with you 100%. I sure don’t know what the law is exactly. I have though often wondered about those who buy shirts and hats that say, “Police, Sheriff, DEA, FBI, etc...” on them. I have seen them for sale one time in a connivence store in Gunbarrel City. My curiosity is why? Back in my LE days on my days off I never wore anything the would point ”Police.” When I went into Narcotics I never resembled the Police ever again. :smilelol5:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

This is one of those areas where it takes a action or an item truly indicating they are a peace officer in some aspect to prosecute.

By action:
Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 37.11. Impersonating Public Servant

(a) A person commits an offense if he:

(1) impersonates a public servant with intent to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority or to rely on his pretended official acts;  or

(2) knowingly purports to exercise any function of a public servant or of a public office, including that of a judge and court, and the position or office through which he purports to exercise a function of a public servant or public office has no lawful existence under the constitution or laws of this state or of the United States.
By the item (badge or ID Card)
(a) Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 37.12. False Identification as Peace Officer;  Misrepresentation of Property

A person commits an offense if:

(1) the person makes, provides to another person, or possesses a card, document, badge, insignia, shoulder emblem, or other item bearing an insignia of a law enforcement agency that identifies a person as a peace officer or a reserve law enforcement officer;  and

(2) the person who makes, provides, or possesses the item bearing the insignia knows that the person so identified by the item is not commissioned as a peace officer or reserve law enforcement officer as indicated on the item.
So, just having a badge is not illegal, but telling them you are a peace officer or getting them to submit to a search by implying your are a cop, etc while wearing a badge or ID holder will probably get you arrested. Depending on the credibility of the witness, they may decide to prosecute you.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

Thanks Keith.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

For many, the bar is lower than the potential legal statutes of actually impersonating an officer. Some just don't want to potentially be thought of as a goofball trying to be a pseudo cop. I just do not think many in the public would be very receptive or respectful of someone that is wearing a toy badge.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. However, to each his own. I have seen a guy wearing an chl badge on his belt. It was a bit comical and the ladies weren't impressed.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Grundy1133 »

mojo84 wrote: It was a bit comical and the ladies weren't impressed.
well forget it then! if the ladies weren't impressed I want no part of it! :lol:
NRA Member

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Agreed. I can't imagine anything sillier than walking around wearing some kind of badge indicating you're CC. Hey, do a Google Images search for "concealed carry badge." Amazing.

That being said, it would be interesting, if nothing else, to be able to spot other CC'ers in a crowd. I've often been in a place full of people and wondered how many others were carrying. Am I surrounded by them, or am I the only one....??

Maybe do like the Masons - have some kind of secret hand signal, or handshake or maybe a code word... :cheers2:
-Ruark

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Grundy1133 »

Ruark wrote:or maybe a code word...
approach someone and say
"The condor flies at noon"
they look at you and reply
"unless the lion roars in the morning"
and then they both proceed to initiate the secret handshake. :smilelol5:
NRA Member

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

As you started, An old question. I think you will find most associate the desire for a badge with the desire to ware a Batman costume.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Here's a vintage thread started by Abraham on the subject.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36573
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

“TIARA”

In memory of Hoi Polloi. Hope you are well wherever you are..
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

IIRC, it all started with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=987DpPD9lNU
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TreyHouston »

jmorris wrote:IIRC, it all started with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=987DpPD9lNU

:smilelol5: :smilelol5: that guy is a millionaire!!!!!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I do not like a badge for several reasons. 1) I am not a LEO. However there are some people that may think otherwise. A CHL licensee in the town over from me tried to shoot out the tires of fleeing shop lifters. 2) I carry concealed. No reason to advertise.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”